• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 206 gti 180 starter motor problems

Fellow Frogger!

Default 206 gti 180 starter motor problems

Hi Guys

Just a quick question, I had problems with my starter motor yetserday when I was going to drop off my car at peugeot so they could look into the wierd knocking sound issue that has now been solved.

Basically I would turn the key, hear a click and nothing would happen. Repeat the procedure about 20 times and then finally the car would start. The guy at peugeot said that the starter motor would be replaced and hopefully he would have the part in 2 weeks time.

I have had my car for about 1.5 years and have done 19,000 kays.

Has any one else had problems with their start motor on 206's?

Advertisement

Thanks in advance
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Could be a relay, failing battery or the starter motor, even wiring etc. Are the 206.net guys listing anything. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Could be a relay, failing battery or the starter motor, even wiring etc. Are the 206.net guys listing anything. - Chris
    I'm not aware of any problems in that regard with either 180s or other 206s, but this sort of thing could obviously happen in any car. It certainly sounds like it's a starter circuit problem. I think there may be some issues with grounding straps on some cars - but that usually manifests itself as a completely dead car, not the "clicking" noise of a starter solenoid but nothing else.

Let's hope it's something equally as simple, like a loose or poorly earthed strap for example.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma
    Hi Guys

Just a quick question, I had problems with my starter motor yetserday when I was going to drop off my car at peugeot so they could look into the wierd knocking sound issue that has now been solved.

Basically I would turn the key, hear a click and nothing would happen. Repeat the procedure about 20 times and then finally the car would start. The guy at peugeot said that the starter motor would be replaced and hopefully he would have the part in 2 weeks time.

I have had my car for about 1.5 years and have done 19,000 kays.

Has any one else had problems with their start motor on 206's?

Thanks in advance
    Jim, did you disconnect the battery while we were away for 3 weeks?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    Jim, did you disconnect the battery while we were away for 3 weeks?
    Hey Jude

No I didn't disconnect the battery. But dont forget I have been driving the car for more than 2 weeks since I got back. And the problem seems to be with the starter motor solenoid. The people at peugeot said that the computer registered that there was a fault with the starter motor (i didn't realise that the computers in cars kept this type of information).

I remember having this problem with my old man's sigma many years ago. The click would be the soenoid sticking. But thankfully the pug people have ordered me a new starter motor and it will be installed in hopefully 2 weeks time.
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Ah yes,

It's no wonder we are paying so much for our "qualified technicians" these days. A computer tells them what to do

Let's hope the computer was right.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Same deal.
    9000Kms & starter motor replaced under warranty. Its happened to some other people on here as well so don't feel bad, your not the only one.

I have only had one episode of mine not starting. It was a rainy day, just filled up with fuel, went to start the car and got everything but the car actually starting. I kept trying for a little while, I opened the bonnet, touched a few things and she fired up... Hasn't happened since.
    Peugeot 206 GTi180 '04-I'm in love!

Tadpole

What was the weird knocking noise ? I have a strange tapping noise I can only seem to hear when inside the car, whilst running. It's not real loud but you do notice it. I'm also having problems with the starting of the 206gti. Sometimes it starts then just flat out stalls, sometimes I've goto start it 5 times before it will run. I have no problems once the engine is actually warm though. Also the air conditioner is making a hideous whining noise, very loud.

Tadpole

I have been having a similar issue over the past 2 days - when I try and start the car, it takes a number of seconds before it finally turns over - is getting worse each time now, any ideas?

I also know the tapping noise, not sure what it is, but it can be heard at idle. Agreed in the aircon too! However I'm not too concerned about these issues in my car as there's a much louder rattling at 3000rpm!
    Not to mention the clutch shudder etc...

Guess my car's got a lot of character

Despite my quabbles, still looking forward to the drive home from work today

Quote Originally Posted by bogogf
    What was the weird knocking noise ? I have a strange tapping noise I can only seem to hear when inside the car, whilst running. It's not real loud but you do notice it. I'm also having problems with the starting of the 206gti. Sometimes it starts then just flat out stalls, sometimes I've goto start it 5 times before it will run. I have no problems once the engine is actually warm though. Also the air conditioner is making a hideous whining noise, very loud.
    GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by V-meister
    I have been having a similar issue over the past 2 days - when I try and start the car, it takes a number of seconds before it finally turns over - is getting worse each time now, any ideas?

I also know the tapping noise, not sure what it is, but it can be heard at idle. Agreed in the aircon too! However I'm not too concerned about these issues in my car as there's a much louder rattling at 3000rpm!
    Not to mention the clutch shudder etc...

Guess my car's got a lot of character

Despite my quabbles, still looking forward to the drive home from work today
    I had the starter problem a long time ago it may be different but i was told it was to do with a frequency in the key to the imbolizer (something to do with the imbolizer). It didnt bother me as its only happened once.

The 3000rpm rattle is very common in 180's you will have to take your car to service. The problem is a loose bolt in the heat shield. Easy fix

The other problems dont know what they are. Hope this helps

Tadpole

Cheers Marc,

Will have to find some time to get them to check out the loose bolt and misc issues (fuel guage, starting etc)

I also read about a fix involving the engine cover and some wire? possibly on 206gti.net from memory.

Will look into this too maybe....

Cheers again

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    I had the starter problem a long time ago it may be different but i was told it was to do with a frequency in the key to the imbolizer (something to do with the imbolizer). It didnt bother me as its only happened once.

The 3000rpm rattle is very common in 180's you will have to take your car to service. The problem is a loose bolt in the heat shield. Easy fix

The other problems dont know what they are. Hope this helps
    GTi 180

I have been having a similar issue over the past 2 days - when I try and start the car, it takes a number of seconds before it finally turns over -

same with me sometimes its takes a few starts and sometimes when it starts the revs are very low and the car sounds sick, i`ve check the oil etc
    shori likes this.
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Fellow Frogger!

Bugger I forgot to get back to this thread!

The problem was the starter motor. They changed it out under warranty and it's been fine for ages. The nice people at peugeot even rented me a car while I had to wait two weeks for the part to arrive! I have had the problem once, where the immoboliser would not let me start the car but I had practically forgotten about it.
    Bad_Karma

Just to clarify, do you mean when you turn the key it takes a few seconds before anything happens, or it just runs on the starter for a long time until it fires up?
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Hi Simon,

From what I recall, it runs on the starter when I turn the ignition, just trying to turn over but seems to struggle a little before eventually firing up.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Just to clarify, do you mean when you turn the key it takes a few seconds before anything happens, or it just runs on the starter for a long time until it fires up?
    GTi 180

Hi

I went out for a day drive (Tuesday) with other Renault drivers and after stopping over for a breather, I noticed that the clock and date were flashing and needed to be reset! I reset it and the car started after 2 turns of the key but OK, then after stopping again for a breather, I tried again and this time the car wouldn't start at all, nothing when I turned the key!! I thought sh#t, I have only had this car for 2 weeks! I looked under the bonnet and found that the +ve wire on the battery was loose! I reconnected and yep everything fine, although now eventhough it turns over OK in the begining it is a rough idle as if it will stall...

i realise perhaps not the same as your experiences but have you checked the battery?

From what I recall, it runs on the starter when I turn the ignition, just trying to turn over but seems to struggle a little before eventually firing up.
    Reminds me of what happens when you try to trick the immobiliser.

If you start the car up with a key that isn't programmed to the car, it'll activate the starter motor, but the engine won't fire up - you get the sound of the motor, without eventual ignition.

But, if you start the car with a proper key, turn it off, and then start it up with a non-programmed key, the car will start

I have one non-programmed key and two remote keys. In order to get my second remote key programmed, I had to sacrifice the programming of my service key, as the computer couldn't teach the car more than two keys!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Hi Simon,

Cheers
    Well in that case, I have to say that this is normal for a 180, I'm sad to say. Try to get in the habit of turning the key to on, looking at the oil level, scratching your nose, considering the lillies, etc. then start it up.

It should fire straight away then
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Im with simon on this one...

Ive always turn the keys to "on" let the lights on the dash go out (about 2 seconds) them start her.....No probs and ive had my 180 for 22000kms....
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

Well in that case, I have to say that this is normal for a 180, I'm sad to say. Try to get in the habit of turning the key to on, looking at the oil level, scratching your nose, considering the lillies, etc. then start it up.

What I do is

Get into the seat, put the key in and turn to II.
    Put on my seatbelt - by the time this is done, the fuel pump has primed the lines & most instrument lights have turned off.
    Start the car.
    Configure audio/climate, by this time all lights have turned off and the revs have relaxed. On some cars, this latter process is quite important to warm up the catalytic converter - eg. idle at 1500rpm for a good few moments before settling down to 700rpm (not in the 307 though).

Drive off

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I dont know about the 180 but some cars have an oil pressure sensor that wont let the engine fire until enough pressure has built up. So sometimes it will let the engine turn over a few times before it allows the engine to fire.

Holden does this to their commodors.

my car sometimes turns over for an extended time before firing. if i stop and restart it will fire straight away. At least i hope that is the reason.

Later
    206 GTI180 '05

Icon6 180 Engine note change.....

Quote Originally Posted by qd180
    Im with simon on this one...

Ive always turn the keys to "on" let the lights on the dash go out (about 2 seconds) them start her.....No probs and ive had my 180 for 22000kms....
    Yep, continue in this way and also like Simon mentioned, it is a system check and makes sure fuel lines are primed and ready to go. Also, the oil level indicator is there for a reason!! Unless you are parked on a slope to the left, and it flashes with no oil, get out and check it!! Just ask my father what happens when you do not take note of this......(and oil pressure light!)

Other 180 owners - do you notice an engine/exhaust "note" change after about 2 mins of idling after cold start up?? It seems that the car does not drop revs but the exhaust loses a slight throaty aspect to it.......something with the valve timing?? I am just inquisitive - you know me!!!

Cheers,
    Stu

Default hey guys l m back

pug's always has a starter motor problem bcoz,starter motor very close to hot point.my 205 gti had same problem all the time but my180 not problem yet maybe soon...
    IF YOU WANT TO BE LEGEND DRIVE PEUGEOT

Quote Originally Posted by GTI130
    my car sometimes turns over for an extended time before firing. if i stop and restart it will fire straight away. At least i hope that is the reason.

Later

I noticed the same thing on the old GTi.
    But I once read somewhere saying to turn the ignition on first for a second/2 seconds before starting up.

There wasn't a single time that the engine didn't start in a snap.

Same story goes with the GTi 180; turn the key on for 1 second, then start the engine up, and it goes on immediatly. I'd have thought it's something to do with the fuel pump.

In Australia: 05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: 09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information