problem setting 205 gti timing
  • Register
  • Help

Default problem setting 205 gti timing

Hi,

A while ago my Peugeot Dealer told me he had problems setting the timing on my 1988 205 gti 1.9 because at some stage the clutch had been replaced and the flywheel had been put on either 90 or 180 degrees out. Not sure which.
    Q1 - has the flywheel been put on most likely 90 or 180 degrees out ?
    Q2 - If the above is true it possible to take the timing off another spark plug instead of number 1 plug ?
    I understand that for the xu9ja - d6b 1.9 engine the initial timing should be 5 degrees advanced.

Thanks for all your help in advance. I'm not a mechanic but am learning new things all the time and enjoy tinkering with my new toy.

Advertisement

Kind Regards

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Arnold
    Hi,

A while ago my Peugeot Dealer told me he had problems setting the timing on my 1988 205 gti 1.9 because at some stage the clutch had been replaced and the flywheel had been put on either 90 or 180 degrees out. Not sure which.
    Q2 - If the above is true it possible to take the timing off another spark plug instead of number 1 plug ?
    I understand that for the xu9ja - d6b 1.9 engine the initial timing should be 5 degrees advanced.

Thanks for all your help in advance. I'm not a mechanic but am learning new things all the time and enjoy tinkering with my new toy.

Kind Regards

Peter
    A 4 cylinder engine fires every 180 degrees so if the flywheel is 180 degrees out then - yes you should be able to take the timing off another plug but if its 90 degrees out then this system won't work.

I would expect a dealer to work it all out if its 180 degrees out.

good Luck

Impossible, the flywheel is dowelled.

You also can't get the distributor 180 out, as the drive tang is offset.

The initial timimg should be 10 deg. BTDC.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information