Gearbox Noise
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Gearbox Noise

mlb

Default Gearbox Noise

Guys,

Advertisement

Just noticed a new noise on my 505. When it is idling in neutral, there is a whining type noise coming from the gearbox area. When I push the clutch in it disappears so it definately something to do with the gear box.

Any ideas what this may be? Could it be something with the gearbox or more the clutch. It changes in pitch with the revs of the engine. Gearboxes and clutches are white man's magic to me, so I have no idea of what's in them or how they really work. I've seen the clusters and syncro rings etc, but my knowledge stops there. Would it likely be bearings? Considering an earlier thread I started on the amount of crap I've pulled out of the gearbox last oil change, bearings wouldn't surprise me. How much work and cost is normally involved in this?

Without actually getting under the car I have not yet been able to isolate the location of the noise so I cannot be more specific. What would be the potential consequenses of continuing to drive the car like this for a while until it's fixed.

Thanks

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Fellow Frogger!

Its probably the thrust bearing. No big deal. Just pull the gearbox out and replace the clutch, spiggot bearing ,clutch fork and the thrust bearing.

I don't think so, Warren...

The noise is there while the gearbox is freewheeling... out of gear, but the input and layshaft are turning. It would surely be a bearing on one of those shafts... or even the spigot bearing in the back of the input shaft.

Probably a good idea to tend to it fairly soon. If it's that last mentioned spigot bearing, which is a roller bearing, it does some nasty things if left alone.

But first, how's the oil level in the box?

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell

The noise is there while the gearbox is freewheeling... out of gear, but the input and layshaft are turning. It would surely be a bearing on one of those shafts... or even the spigot bearing in the back of the input shaft.

Probably a good idea to tend to it fairly soon. If it's that last mentioned spigot bearing, which is a roller bearing, it does some nasty things if left alone.

Thanks Warren and Ray

The oil level was my initial thought, but it has been checked recently. I think I've checked it 2-3 times since the last change about 4 months back, with no change in level, so I could probably safely assume it's still ok. It is grossly overdue for a change, but the weather's been a bit too wet to be lying on the ground under the car. Hopefully this weekend.

As I mentioned with the amount of crap I flushed out last oil change - who knows how long it had been before that - I wouldn;t be suprised if the bearings are on their way out.
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

VIP Sponsor

Yes, input shaft bearing, they ALL do it, you probably just haven't noticed it before, unless of course it is very loud. You will probably get into heaps of trouble and expense if you try and fix it.
    Graham

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Yes, input shaft bearing, they ALL do it, you probably just haven't noticed it before, unless of course it is very loud. You will probably get into heaps of trouble and expense if you try and fix it.
    Graham
    Thanks Graham.

I have noticed it before and it seems to have gotten louder. It's not too loud - it can't be heard while driving. I'm not too keen on rebuilding for the reason you mentioned, the potential for tears is too great. I'll try an oil change with a bit of Nulon and see how we go. My concern as I mentioned earlier is the amount of filings I pulled out of by gearbox last time and the possibility that they may have finally gotten the better of my bearings.

I'd be worried about it...

If I were you, I'd chase up a 4-speed box to put in it while you repair the 5-speed. Or find another box. If you find a good STi or GTi 5-speed, you can readily change it to suit your car by fitting the bellhousing from a mid- to late-run 504 and the bellhousing from any 504. This means fitting the circlip-retained slave cylinder from one of those cars too, and using their bellhousing-engine attachment bolts.

But they're easier to bolt up anyway, a good move in my opinion.

It's the filings that worry me. They could be from the teeth, they could be from that pesky spigot roller bearing in the back of the input shaft.

I posted photos once before, I think, of what damage they do to the mainshaft, and though I only have one (of my six) that have that damage, another has had the damage and has been repaired.

I'm happy to walk you through the dismantling process if you like.

mlb

I'd be worried about it...

If I were you, I'd chase up a 4-speed box to put in it while you repair the 5-speed. Or find another box. If you find a good STi or GTi 5-speed, you can readily change it to suit your car by fitting the bellhousing from a mid- to late-run 504 and the bellhousing from any 504. This means fitting the circlip-retained slave cylinder from one of those cars too, and using their bellhousing-engine attachment bolts.

But they're easier to bolt up anyway, a good move in my opinion.

It's the filings that worry me. They could be from the teeth, they could be from that pesky spigot roller bearing in the back of the input shaft.

I posted photos once before, I think, of what damage they do to the mainshaft, and though I only have one (of my six) that have that damage, another has had the damage and has been repaired.

I'm happy to walk you through the dismantling process if you like.
    I'm always wary of noises on things with moving parts, especially when they change. I'll see what difference an oil change will make, along with a good flush. The filings are more than likely from the gears, as you may or may not recall I recently pulled a syncro retaining clip out of it so there is a tendency for second to grind on changes if I'm not careful. My worry was the filings making their way into the bearings.

I have already been considering what you suggested this morning, wondering where I could borrow a 4 or 5 speed box from while dismaltled and surveyed the current one. But you never know, once I get it out, replacing it may be the cheaper option.

Thanks also for the offer of help Ray. I'll see what happens I may well take you up on it.

Matt

Hey Matt,

I've got a couple of 4 speeds in the shed, you are welcome to borrow one any time!

I would not worry about it, every 504 and 505 I have had or driven has a dragging sound in when out of gear with your foot of the clutch. Dad's GTI does it and has had no problems for 5 years!

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Ray,
    Wouldn't the thrust bearing also be operating in this situation? I thought it was only disengaged when the clutch is of the flywheel. All three cars I've owned have had what I thought was a noisy thrust bearing at some point...both in neutral and whilst driving, but never had any problems with any of them.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Thread Information