Wierd knocking sound on gti 180
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Wierd knocking sound on gti 180

Hi Fellas

Just want to get your worth on a prooblem I discovered on monday on my 180. When I was driving back home I noticed a funny nocking sound from the front of the car. The sound seemed to be synchronised with the front wheel speed (ie the faster I went the greater the frequency of the thumping sound). Anyway I got out of the car to have a look to see if a bolt or nail had gotten lodged into a tyre.

Nup nothing there, another thing I noticed was that the sound is very evident when the car is not accelerating and it produces a wierd thump once the brakes are applied. This has lead me to beleive that it could be driveline related.

Advertisement

Anyway, its at peugeot now so they can have a look at it. So I am just asking around to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Cheers
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Sounds like it could be a CV joint. Like the problem mini's used to have.

Is it accentuated at all when cornering?

CV joints in FWD cars often make a knocking sound, consistant with the speed of the wheels
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by n b j
    Sounds like it could be a CV joint. Like the problem mini's used to have.

Is it accentuated at all when cornering?

CV joints in FWD cars often make a knocking sound, consistant with the speed of the wheels
    Not sure about CV joints because the noise is constantly there irrespective of cornering. The car has just done 19,000 kays if that helps
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma
    Nup nothing there, another thing I noticed was that the sound is very evident when the car is not accelerating and it produces a wierd thump once the brakes are applied. This has lead me to beleive that it could be driveline related.
    Not accelerating? Do you mean coasting/cruising or when stopped at idle?

The thump when braking - could that really be a thump when you back off (ie. unload the engine in between gear changes or just as you are braking?

Not really sure, but I do know someone from Melbourne had the intermediate bearing on the driver's side drive shaft replaced recently. Maybe that is clagged?

The "handbrake incident" was all rear end stuff, yes?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Not accelerating? Do you mean coasting/cruising or when stopped at idle?

The thump when braking - could that really be a thump when you back off (ie. unload the engine in between gear changes or just as you are braking?

Not really sure, but I do know someone from Melbourne had the intermediate bearing on the driver's side drive shaft replaced recently. Maybe that is clagged?

The "handbrake incident" was all rear end stuff, yes?
    By not accelerating I meant crusing/coasting. The thumping occurs at braking and the hanbrake incident affected the back end of the car.
    Bad_Karma

I may be way out here, but could it possibly be a flat spot in a tyre? I've had one before that made a knocking sound, and I'd never have guessed what it was if I didn't rotate the tyres. It may explain why it's not noticeable when the engine isn't reving hard, but is when the car is coasting. You might even feel it through the steering.

Fellow Frogger!

Default knock

Try tightening the wheel nuts , might be a cheap fix!!!

alpine

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by alpine
    Try tightening the wheel nuts , might be a cheap fix!!!

alpine
    Well guys I got the car back from peugeot and alpine you get the prize! It seems that the passenger side front wheel had one nut missing and two other nuts practically completely loosened, however the locknut was fine. This leads me to believe that some f*%cker had a go at stealing the wheel(s). whilst I was at work.

The reason I have come to this conclusion is that on sunday I washed the car and I did not notice the nut and its cover were missing (I am anally retentive about keeping my cars wheels clean so I would have noticed it). And the only time I heard it is when I was coming back from work on monday night in whic I left the office late and the car was parked in a dimly lit area. Hence this happened some time during monday.

Well, the problem has now been fixed, there seems to have been no damage to the wheel or the rest of the car and it is now being parked in a more secure location whilst I am at work.

So guys keep your eyes open because it looks like our wheels may be in demand......
    Bad_Karma

Sheesh! A real back to basics fix that one. At least is was a cheapish fix.

I remember a few years back my mother asked me to troubleshoot a knocking noise from the front. I got in it, drove 3 metres and immediately leapt out and looked at the wheels. Lo and behold someone had tried to flog the front passenger wheel, with 3 loose nuts and one missing.

Of course this was Auburn, so a 13" Barina steelie must have been worth something to someone
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

yikes! Lucky you didnt lose the wheel..... But at least you noticed it and got it checked - I have been in several friends cars over the years and heard nasty noises that turned out to be potentially nasty accidents waiting to happen. But some people just drive the car and are oblivious to any noises -very scary to be sharing the roads with them....

Keep an ear out for any vibration, especially at speed - I wouldnt be surprised if the hammering of the soft alloy wheel against the hub damaged the wheel a bit.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Jim, there's a lot to be said for not relying on a mechanic for the little things, especially those little things that can have a big impact..literally. Especially since you noticed something was amiss, and especially since you do drive that car hard, as it's meant to be driven, and the last thing you want is a wheel coming off in the middle of a corner.

Things like oil, water, brake fluid, power steering fluid, tyre pressure, wheel nuts, wipers and the like should be the responsibility of the owner to check on a regular basis between services.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

I'm curious Mr bad_karma,

Was the chrome cap still in position on the nut with the locknut thingamijig?

It seems this week 3 of my 4 wheels all decided to shed their locknut chrome cap - one this afternoon which I heard fall off before observing it being crushed mercilessly by the car behind

Any guesses from anyone how much exactly Mr Peugeot charge for this vain little chrome cap?

If they are that useless all of a sudden (my car's done 29k and I've never had one fall off before), I might try making an issue about it with my servicing mob.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Simon,

I posted a question about the cost of the little chrom covers a while back and i think the replacement cost was around the $20 mark for 16 covers

Dont quote me on this though.....

Ill try to locate the thread but it was ages ago
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

heres the link simon

Stud caps for 206 Gti 180

$5.50 a pop!!!!
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    I'm curious Mr bad_karma,

Was the chrome cap still in position on the nut with the locknut thingamijig?

It seems this week 3 of my 4 wheels all decided to shed their locknut chrome cap - one this afternoon which I heard fall off before observing it being crushed mercilessly by the car behind

Any guesses from anyone how much exactly Mr Peugeot charge for this vain little chrome cap?

If they are that useless all of a sudden (my car's done 29k and I've never had one fall off before), I might try making an issue about it with my servicing mob.
    Hi there

The missing chrome cap disapeared with the bolt. The locknut chrome cap was still there.
    Bad_Karma

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma

So guys keep your eyes open because it looks like our wheels may be in demand......
    Thats all we need to see 180 rims on some ricers.............
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by qd180
    heres the link simon

Stud caps for 206 Gti 180

$5.50 a pop!!!!
    I was quoted $6.85 yesterday - so all 16 would therefore cost $109.60

Not bad, hey.
    Regards,

Simon

----