505 STI instrument cluster
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 505 STI instrument cluster

I have just purchased a second 1984 505 STI 3psd. The speedo on the 'new' one reads up to 220 km/h, whereas the speedo on my old STI only goes up to 180 km/h.

The new STI has an oil level warning light above the high/low beam indicator, whereas the old STI has a different looking oil level warning light located on the RHS of the cluster.

Advertisement

Also, the fuel gauge on the new one has a series of lines to indicate level, whereas the old one has three solid blocks.

Can anyone add any light as to why these two instrument clusters are different?

By the way, the new STI seems to have considerably more go than my old one.

Cheers,
    1986 505 SLi wagon (XN6; 3HP22; silver)
    1984 505 STI sedan (ZDJK; 3HP22; silver light blue)

nJm

I don't know a whole lot about STIs but it sounds like you have a 505 GTI instrument cluster. The 220km/h speedo and the oil light on the top right hand side are the giveaways. Unless of course the STI was updated before the Series II cars rolled out. I dunno.

My '83 GR has the same fuel/temp guage you describe, although I've always suspected it was replaced as its needle is quite a bit more orange than the speedo and tacho, and most early model 505's seem to have the rather comical looking guages you say your first STI had.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    I don't know a whole lot about STIs but it sounds like you have a 505 GTI instrument cluster. The 220km/h speedo and the oil light on the top right hand side are the giveaways. Unless of course the STI was updated before the Series II cars rolled out. I dunno.

My '83 GR has the same fuel/temp guage you describe, although I've always suspected it was replaced as its needle is quite a bit more orange than the speedo and tacho, and most early model 505's seem to have the rather comical looking guages you say your first STI had.
    Don't worry about it, every GR I had, had a different cluster!
    The GTIs came out in Series 1 at first.
    STI performance varies considerably depending on the condition of the injection system and injectors, usually bad!
    Graham

Icon1

Quote Originally Posted by blizzardboy
    Can anyone add any light as to why these two instrument clusters are different?

Cheers,
    What year was your first STi?? My '84 had the 220km/h gauges and (nicer in my opinion) fuel gauge. While my current '83 has the older (I assume) "Block" fuel gauge and 180km/h speedo. I've seen a couple of differences in my cars comparing 84 to 83. Struts, gauges, throttle body, at least on my cars had small differences.

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Default Both are stamped 1984

Quote Originally Posted by crosspug
    What year was your first STi?? My '84 had the 220km/h gauges and (nicer in my opinion) fuel gauge. While my current '83 has the older (I assume) "Block" fuel gauge and 180km/h speedo. I've seen a couple of differences in my cars comparing 84 to 83. Struts, gauges, throttle body, at least on my cars had small differences.

Jono
    Both are 1984; The new one is Nov 1984. I will check out the date on my other (old) STI tonight. I will also keep my eye out for other differences between the cars and post them here.

The 220 km/h limit is a bit humorous though. I reckon its doing around 150 km/h at 5000 rpm. There would be some serious red-lining happening to approach anywhere near the end of the dial! Maybe the revs would be a little better behaved driving through a BA7/5 instead of a 3HP22?!!!
    1986 505 SLi wagon (XN6; 3HP22; silver)
    1984 505 STI sedan (ZDJK; 3HP22; silver light blue)

Thread Information