406 Hdi injector pump
  • Register
  • Help

Default 406 Hdi injector pump

Hi all, my dad tells me that the injector pump on his 406 is stuffed and going to cost near 6 grand to replace!!!???!!!
    Anyone else had any problem like this? If so was there a cheaper way out of it? Apparently all the seals in it are dodgy, and it has to be sent to melbourne or somewhere south for possible repair, if not replacement.
    I suggested trying to find a wrecked one somewhere, but maybe if it had been sitting around for some time the selas might be just as bad.
    If it sounds like i'm sketchy on the tech side of this, thats dead right, just relaying the info as i have it so far, ....but $6000 fuel pump fix ????you've got to be s*#tting me! if true any one that has a diesel pug outta be very scared, even if it is a very rare problem (apparently only 6 reported in aus.)

Advertisement

any info appreciated.
    cheers
    Ralph
    '93 Mi16 serII EMI16

The HDi pump works at some very scary pressures, even for us Citroen owners used to hydraulic bits.

I know of a NSW Cit club member who has a 306 HDi and his replacement pump cost about half that, which I thought was bad enough!

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith
    The HDi pump works at some very scary pressures, even for us Citroen owners used to hydraulic bits.

I know of a NSW Cit club member who has a 306 HDi and his replacement pump cost about half that, which I thought was bad enough!

Paul
    G'day Paul, we owned a '74 DS 23 safari from new right up until it was traded on the errant 406 in question. It was a sensational car, far superior to the 406 IMO, and much missed. I hoped i might inherit the DS as a family heirloom, but you know...garage space, running costs, yadda yadda....

cheers
    Ralph
    Ralph
    '93 Mi16 serII EMI16

Default Clackety-clack

I'm still living in the prehistoric world of diesel mechanical fuel injection so I decided it was about time I updated myself! I visited the PSA site and it has a "Flash" pesentation on common-rail diesels. It's very much a "have-a-look-but-don't-ask-any-difficult-questions" sort of site but it may help you to understand how they work. From what I understand, diesel fuel is contantly pumped under extremely high pressure through a rail that is common to all of the injectors. When it's time for a cylinder to receive a shot of fuel electronics "tell" the injector to break open and squirt it directly into the combustion space. Simple! (If you're comfortable with electronics.) I've never seen a HDi pump so I really shouldn't comment, but it's difficult to imagine how it could cost so much to replace. (Mechanical injection pumps are presicion items with extremely small tolerances and are expensive to manufacture so I can understand their high pricing.)
    Anyway, have a look. http://www.psa-peugeot-citroen.com/m.../home_dv4.html
    Also, the process used by Bosch is explained at http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publi...ticle_272.html
    Denso has recently developed a 1800bar injection system! Imagine the strength needed to generate and contain about 27,000psi and it may to some extent explain the high cost of components.
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

thanks gents
    Ralph
    '93 Mi16 serII EMI16

Fellow Frogger!

Try cotacting Berrima Diesals in Berrima NSW the main man there did his training with bocsh and knows all there is to know about diesals. They are also very very cheap compared to some. How many Ks on this 406 for it to fail ?
    I have one that has done 280,000 Ks' with no trouble yet. You scare me with stories like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Gordon
    Try cotacting Berrima Diesals in Berrima NSW the main man there did his training with bocsh and knows all there is to know about diesals. They are also very very cheap compared to some. How many Ks on this 406 for it to fail ?
    I have one that has done 280,000 Ks' with no trouble yet. You scare me with stories like this.
    Around about 150k i believe...
    Ralph
    '93 Mi16 serII EMI16

Thread Information