eagleoneill
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: eagleoneill

Tadpole

Icon8 peugeot 405 srdt

i have just discovered a small amount of engine oil in my air filter. please can annyone help

Advertisement
    Last edited by eagleoneill; 25th July 2005 at 09:15 PM.

I think the 1937 Ford V8 may have had an oil bath air filter so this would be quite normal in that instance.
    My Briggs and Stratton has a foam bandage that has a few drops of oil put in it afer it's washed at routine services, my old BX used to get it in there from the breather from the crankcase which wasn't a problem but my current cars which are all fuel injected don't.
    So if your engine is one of the ones above, there's a few clues for you, but if it isn't, just say and we'll keep guessing until we find out what it is.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I think the 1937 Ford V8 may have had an oil bath air filter so this would be quite normal in that instance.
    My Briggs and Stratton has a foam bandage that has a few drops of oil put in it afer it's washed at routine services, my old BX used to get it in there from the breather from the crankcase which wasn't a problem but my current cars which are all fuel injected don't.
    So if your engine is one of the ones above, there's a few clues for you, but if it isn't, just say and we'll keep guessing until we find out what it is.

Alan S
    Australian production Peugeots up until 1976 had oil bath filters.
    Cars sold in New Caledonia had them much later. Apparently the engine life was doubled when an oil bath filter was fitted.
    Graham

VWs, FJ Holdens, Landrovers etc had oilbath aircleaners-perhaps that's why they last so long.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

1000+ Posts

Assuming that it's not a car with an oil bath air filter, there's probably some sort of crankcase breather hose leading to the air filter which is causing this. It may be normal, or if there's a lot, it may not be normal...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Default "The Oily One" identified

just noticed that the first post has been edited, and 'the Oily One' has been identified as a Peugeot 405 srdt. I cant help with a reply - but now that we know what car it is, hopefully somebody can.
    Cabbage Tree

Not entirely unusual, I had some in my airfilter also. Have a drink and relax 425kklm probably gives you a few k up you sleeve.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Thread Information