My 205 restoration.Advice,tips,suggestions welcome
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default My 205 restoration.Advice,tips,suggestions welcome

Hi, I would very much appricate your help with a project of mine. Its my old 205 XS which unfortunatly was pushed to the side when I had a daughter apprantly my girlfriend said its not sutible for a family car! bah what does she know!
    So it was back to BXs and ZXs but i really,really want my 205 back on the road I cant bear to see it getting wrecked as thats whats happening I gave it to a friend to restore and well his broke more of the car than i think humanly possible such as snapping parts of the dash somehow.His also VERY lazy so I have retook the car and will continue to work on it I did more in a week than he did in the 2yrs+ it sat in his garden!!!with him wrecking things

Anyhow heres some pictures some things have changed since then :

Heres me getting some serious grime off it :

Yes the headlights are out well because they were so old the lenses fell out so basically that needs sorting soon.

I've sorted the wiring we know have electrics that semi work.
    We have clean seats, the steering wheel was deemed beyond it and we are using a temp GTI one.

Basically I want the car just nice again.I've got pics of where wires go,where stickers etc I wante EVERYTHING nice I was thinking about a engine swap but im not sure about what will go into a D (1984?) 205XS.It currently holds a 1.4 (well 1360?) 150B "SuitCase" engine with twin Webber 38's.If we cant fit a newer or bigger engine I will have to work with that

We have the calipers,discs,pads from a 306TD which we intended to use to uprate the brakes to something modern (oh and unceased )

So I have a few questions :

(1) 205 interiors seem to get crazy prices and we badly need a whole interior is it possible to fit a 309GTI one as they seem cheaper here? Or any other Pug interior?
    (2) Engines oh great dirty engines.Any suggestions I dont think the Mi16 route can be taken with this car although someone said it did Im not sure on the mounts and I took pics for anyone if they interested

Also if anyones selling anything or can trade anything like parts we need we I would be willing to help you out.Sorry but im stuck in some crap place called the UK.

Advertisement

Sorry for the long post but I intend to fill you in with videos and pictures of trips to the scrap piles and work done we have some videos but with such foul language i feel its not deemed safe for public viewing
    I would love it and appriate any help.THANK you for reading and THANKS in advance
    Last edited by Dizzy; 24th July 2005 at 06:42 AM.

Tadpole

Ok well first of all, http://forum.205gtidrivers.com if you want to know about fitting the 306 brakes on it.

Because your 205 is one of the early ones (D reg is 86-87) you don't have the right engine mounts to fit bigger engines in, ie you have a XY engine, later 205XS had a TU which is a much more conventional engine, has the right engine mounts and can be swapped for engines out of Saxos/205Gti 1.6 or 1.9 8v engines/Mi16. So if you want more power basically you'll need to weld in some new engine mounts.

309 and 405 seats will fit with some pretty simple brackets attached to the seat and the 205 seat subframe. Again, do a search on the 205 Gti drivers forum.

And yeah, lenses can just fall out of 205 headlights. They're french.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Swilki
    Ok well first of all, http://forum.205gtidrivers.com if you want to know about fitting the 306 brakes on it.
    Yeah, I regiestered there along time ago and they need to approve accounts for some reason never got a reply.Have tried again, luckily I have some guides on the 306 brake job but more info cant hurt right

As for the engine I will look into how easy and safe the end result would be in welding new mounts in, but for now I will continue the hunt for a complete interior get the car working as close to original as can be and then consider new engines or engine work.

Thread Information