My 206 problems
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: My 206 problems

Tadpole

Icon5 My 206 problems

Hi guys,
    since i bought my 206 GTI 2 years ago, i had experienced a lot of problems, such as engine, indicator and airbag fault. And recently my passenger side chair had jamed. Problem seem to be pop up again and again non stop. Can't believe it is a new car quality. Any of you experienced this problem before?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Devil206
    Hi guys,
    since i bought my 206 GTI 2 years ago, i had experienced a lot of problems, such as engine, indicator and airbag fault. And recently my passenger side chair had jamed. Problem seem to be pop up again and again non stop. Can't believe it is a new car quality. Any of you experienced this problem before?
    hiya! hahah i have that airbag fault aswell.. no matter what they do the light keeps coming up so I have given up and are permanently driving with the airbag safety light on- is that a hazard?

thanks to my darling drunk friends, one pulled the handle foward, one pulled it backwards and my passenger chair is now jammed also! any idea how much this is going to cost me to fix? one idiot also gave me a ciggie burn in the backseat on the leather

nevermind me though, i'm JUST starting to learn about my car i have found there is more to it than just looks

The airbag light is usually caused by a faulty connector under the seat for the wiring to the seat belt pretensioner. This can be a problem on a number of cars, I have had to get it fixed on 2 of my previous Citroens. The dealer should be able to fix that easily.

Troy.

You both should have a look at this thread re:the airbag light.

Airbag light staying on
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Icon6 jamed chair

Quote Originally Posted by chasee
    hiya! hahah i have that airbag fault aswell.. no matter what they do the light keeps coming up so I have given up and are permanently driving with the airbag safety light on- is that a hazard?

thanks to my darling drunk friends, one pulled the handle foward, one pulled it backwards and my passenger chair is now jammed also! any idea how much this is going to cost me to fix? one idiot also gave me a ciggie burn in the backseat on the leather

nevermind me though, i'm JUST starting to learn about my car i have found there is more to it than just looks
    The cost tofixed the jamed chair is around 2000 aus dollar that is to fix the chair frame, you can try to go to the dealer and apply for a request. peugeot might assist you with some of the cost.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    The airbag light is usually caused by a faulty connector under the seat for the wiring to the seat belt pretensioner. This can be a problem on a number of cars, I have had to get it fixed on 2 of my previous Citroens. The dealer should be able to fix that easily.

Troy.
    yeah i got that fix, but still pop up without reason! thx anyway

Fellow Frogger!

Default Airbag light

Yes mine has this feature as well. The first time I fiddled with the connectors under the seat and problem went away.

This time (curent) it kept comming and going so I took to the dealer. His advice was that if the light is on the bag will not work. I explained about the underseat bit and when I returned I was told that it was the comm 2000 that needed replaced! I have already had one of these already.

The good news is that the light has not come back on and I am still waiting for the call to have the comm 2000 replaced.
    Graelin

The cost tofixed the jamed chair is around 2000 aus dollar that is to fix the chair frame, you can try to go to the dealer and apply for a request. peugeot might assist you with some of the cost.

$2000? ur kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by chasee
    $2000? ur kidding right?
    Easy now. I've heard quite a few reports of jammed chairs, and none of them resulted in a $2000 bill.

It could be something quite simple to fix - other than a cold hard stare when one of your passengers even begins to move an appendage towards the seat mechanism. It always works for me - stops them in their tracks
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Easy now. I've heard quite a few reports of jammed chairs, and none of them resulted in a $2000 bill.

It could be something quite simple to fix - other than a cold hard stare when one of your passengers even begins to move an appendage towards the seat mechanism. It always works for me - stops them in their tracks
    It is true, this is what they told me.

I've not had any real problems with my 2004 206 GTI, delivered in 2005 and now done about 5000k, but the minor niggly things are:

About a week after I picked up my brand spanking new car I was parked on a tight sloping driveway and had to put a rat's cage, containing an awfully smelly rat in the back seat cause it wouldn't fit in the boot
    To add insult to injury, the rat was the first back seat passenger ever in the car I had to drive with the windows down for a week afterwards to get rid of the pong - the things we do for relatives
    Anyway the driver's seat would not engage in a forward position, though the passenger's seat would, but I couldn't get it in from that side. I had to have someone lean over the open door and hold the driver's seat forward while I manhandled the cage into the back! Is this normal?

The audio control stalk buttons for volume up and (more so) down, are very insensitive. I often have to press the buttons several times right on the very end for it to work . Touching the button in the middle does nothing! All the other controls work fine. Anyone else have this problem?

The climate control sometimes pumps out cold air when its about 15 degrees outside and certainly less than 21 degrees inside the car! Usually happens when I leave work after the cars been in what limited sun we get in Melbourne in winter, but there's no way its 21 inside the car and yet it still pumps out cold air even when the engines warmed up a bit! I have to change it to 24 or higher to get it to pump out hot air! Anyone know where the sensor for the interior temperature is?
    The semi climate control on my 306 did not have this problem, it was a case of set at 21 and as soon as the engine warmed up you were comfortable, oblivious to the outside temperature being stinking hot or freezing cold

Talking of my old 306, it was a lot smoother cornering at speed than the 206, which seems to jump around a lot more. Could this be the lack of passive rear wheel steering? Maybe I should try it with the stability control turned off?

Changing down into 1st from 2nd can be a pain! I have to slow right down or it won't go in easily, did they forget to put the syncromesh in? Doubling the clutch helps but surely it shouldn't be necessary? I tend to not change down as soon as I otherwise would because of this All the other gears are great though

Sometimes when changing from 1st to 2nd, the engine continues reving for a good second, even though I've definately taken my foot off the accellerator This has also been remarked on by a friend who's driven it a couple of times. Apart from that the accellerator is completely responsive. Anyone else experienced this?

A few times when I've changed gears while turning, the front of my shoe has been over the end of the clutch pedal and I can fell the steering rack moving . Don't most cars have a cover plate over this area?

Apart from that, she's the cat's whiskers!!!
    Paltallo
    Last edited by Paltallo; 30th July 2005 at 04:39 PM.

It is true, this is what they told me.
    It may be true they told you this, and it may be true that your peugeot dealership may charge you 2 grand to fix a jammed chair, but it's certainly not true that there is any justification to this cost.

My chair jammed about 2 days after I bought the car when a passenger was trying to move it back without pulling the lever all the way, and when it didn't move they pushed back harder....result the seat moved halfway and then jammed solid. Anyway, after stuffing around with it for a few hours with no luck, I took it back to the dealer and they took the car inside and fixed it in 10 minutes. For free.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    It may be true they told you this, and it may be true that your peugeot dealership may charge you 2 grand to fix a jammed chair, but it's certainly not true that there is any justification to this cost.

My chair jammed about 2 days after I bought the car when a passenger was trying to move it back without pulling the lever all the way, and when it didn't move they pushed back harder....result the seat moved halfway and then jammed solid. Anyway, after stuffing around with it for a few hours with no luck, I took it back to the dealer and they took the car inside and fixed it in 10 minutes. For free.
    yeah, i give them to have a look as well, still not gd at all. since i made a complaint to peugeot headquarter (this is my second time, if you see all my repair report under warranty, you will be amaze), they agree to sponsored 80% of the cost, but it still work out around 980 to fix that stupid chair. That's still too much, a racing seat may be considered . hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Paltallo
    The climate control sometimes pumps out cold air when its about 15 degrees outside and certainly less than 21 degrees inside the car! Usually happens when I leave work after the cars been in what limited sun we get in Melbourne in winter, but there's no way its 21 inside the car and yet it still pumps out cold air even when the engines warmed up a bit! I have to change it to 24 or higher to get it to pump out hot air! Anyone know where the sensor for the interior temperature is?

Talking of my old 306, it was a lot smoother cornering at speed than the 206, which seems to jump around a lot more. Could this be the lack of passive rear wheel steering? Maybe I should try it with the stability control turned off?

A few times when I've changed gears while turning, the front of my shoe has been over the end of the clutch pedal and I can fell the steering rack moving . Don't most cars have a cover plate over this area?
    I've never noticed a problem with climate -- get it checked if you think it's a problem, but be advised that it's never going to be 21 in an instant. Mine sometimes takes a couple of minutes -- sometimes longer -- to warm up and even longer to cool down on extreme days.

I think you'd be poorly advised to turn off stability control (and you'd probably invalidate your insurance if you ever had an accident, too).

It's the bottom of the steering column you're feeling, not the rack, and it's just the car's way of teaching you the right place to put your feet on the pedals. It's even more fun in summer, in bare feet ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Anyone know where the sensor for the interior temperature is?

Paltallo
    Sorry, forgot to add:
    (i) the interior temperature sensor is behind those little holes beside the passenger airbag above the glovebox;
    (ii) Apart from that, hear, hear!
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Quote Originally Posted by mr bern
    I've never noticed a problem with climate -- get it checked if you think it's a problem, but be advised that it's never going to be 21 in an instant. Mine sometimes takes a couple of minutes -- sometimes longer -- to warm up and even longer to cool down on extreme days.

I think you'd be poorly advised to turn off stability control (and you'd probably invalidate your insurance if you ever had an accident, too).

It's the bottom of the steering column you're feeling, not the rack, and it's just the car's way of teaching you the right place to put your feet on the pedals. It's even more fun in summer, in bare feet ...
    Thanks for the reply Mr Bern - The heating usually works fine, just sometimes it pumps out cold air conditioned air when the interior temp is definately below 21. I'll get it checked out when I can get the chance.

I must stick my head down in the footwell and have a good look. It sure felt like the rack to me! Paltallo

I've noticed the same thing. I think it comes down to the weight of the 306 and damping/springs of the 306 as well. I can definitely go over speed bumps a lot faster in the 306. The 206 does have passive rear wheel steering - just less than the 306

Sometimes when changing from 1st to 2nd, the engine continues reving for a good second, even though I've definately taken my foot off the accellerator This has also been remarked on by a friend who's driven it a couple of times. Apart from that the accellerator is completely responsive. Anyone else experienced this?
    This is like an electronic flywheel effect i had in my 206gti as well

And for the record, my 206gti just had it's 80K service. Airbag light did go on at one stage in it's life, as well as the indicator stalk being replaced and the exhaust manifold rattle problem as well. Otherwise as good as gold (seats still working OK - just make sure no drongoes touch it!)
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

The audio control stalk buttons for volume up and (more so) down, are very insensitive. I often have to press the buttons several times right on the very end for it to work . Touching the button in the middle does nothing! All the other controls work fine. Anyone else have this problem?

Paltallo

I have exactly the same problem with the audio control stalk. There is supposed to be a mute function by pressing both up and down volume buttons at the same time but buggered if I can get it to work!! (I think that was how? Can't remember, gave up a while ago!)

It's funny about these pugs, the amount of problems people seem to have with them and yet all is forgotten the second you send the car round a bend!!
    Peugeot 206 GTi180 '04-I'm in love!

Hi guys,

:| I have all theis problems!!! i fixed the chair one my self..

simple really there is a screw that just comes out... and all you have to do is wack it back into place (i.e find the whole it came out of and pop it back it) no tools needed..

Thread Information