1985 505 GTi engine diagram
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 1985 505 GTi engine diagram

I've recently bought an '85 505 GTi but it didn't come with an owners manual. I'm having trouble working out what's what in the engine bay. Does anybody know where I could access an engine diagram or better yet, obtain an owners manual? Many thanks.

Advertisement

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by award
    I've recently bought an '85 505 GTi but it didn't come with an owners manual. I'm having trouble working out what's what in the engine bay. Does anybody know where I could access an engine diagram or better yet, obtain an owners manual? Many thanks.
    HI,
    Was that the one in Vctoria Park-looked a good buy.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Westair
    HI,
    Was that the one in Vctoria Park-looked a good buy.
    Yes, it was. The engine and the transmission seem good but there are lots of leaks. I'm specifically trying to figure out where the power steering fluid goes. I've had lots of cars but I've never seen an engine that looks like this. There's also a small orange bottle on the left side of the engine bay that is empty and obviously needs filling with something but I'd hate to guess and get it wrong! Hopefully, I'll be able to get the car back into good order without spending a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by award
    Yes, it was. The engine and the transmission seem good but there are lots of leaks. I'm specifically trying to figure out where the power steering fluid goes. I've had lots of cars but I've never seen an engine that looks like this. There's also a small orange bottle on the left side of the engine bay that is empty and obviously needs filling with something but I'd hate to guess and get it wrong! Hopefully, I'll be able to get the car back into good order without spending a fortune.

If the orange bottle you're talking about is mounted on the same bolt(s) as the air cleaner unit, then that is the Power steering reservoir. You can double check if the pipe leading out from underneath it goes straight down into the P/S pump. I think these pipes can leak and often need replacing (I really need to replace mine ) but it is also worth checking the high pressure line that goes from the pump to the rack for leaks, I have had that happen as well.

I hope you really enjoy your new toy!

As a matter of interest, is there a flimsy steel wool-esque bunch of stuff still stuck in the top of the P/S reservoir lid? These things seem to disintegrate fairly easily.
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:
    "Betty" 1997 Black 306 GTi6
    "Shaggy" 2001 Green Subaru Outback

The Mrs. Has
    "Wags" 2006 Ash Grey 307 XSE Hdi Touring

And for floating...
    "Korka" 1978 Red/Blue Ramsay Lynx with 327ci Chevy

Previously:
    "Cliff the 505th" 1985 White 505 GTi
    "Clive the 505" 1983 Poo Gold? 505 STi RIP

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by eatpeople04
    If the orange bottle you're talking about is mounted on the same bolt(s) as the air cleaner unit, then that is the Power steering reservoir. You can double check if the pipe leading out from underneath it goes straight down into the P/S pump. I think these pipes can leak and often need replacing (I really need to replace mine ) but it is also worth checking the high pressure line that goes from the pump to the rack for leaks, I have had that happen as well.

I hope you really enjoy your new toy!

As a matter of interest, is there a flimsy steel wool-esque bunch of stuff still stuck in the top of the P/S reservoir lid? These things seem to disintegrate fairly easily.
    Thanks for the information, just what I needed to know! Yes, there is still some wooly looking stuff in the lid. I'll check out the pipes as you suggest.
    Thanks again!

As for the pressure side of the power steering pump.
    The hose on mine had become porous and identifying exactly where the oil was coming from was difficult.
    If the line is of unknown age, it might be worth changing it on spec and eliminating it as a possible cause.

Or you could start by giving the engine bay and underpinnings a dammed good clean and hope you can find the leak.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Thread Information