help with 405 heating problem
  • Register
  • Help

Default help with 405 heating problem

Hi there,

Just converted from a 504 to a 405(1991) owner today and took it for a test drive.
    After driving it for about 15 minutes in normal traffic, I noticed the temperature gauge going into the very hot region - and a lot of hot air was coming into the cabbin via the vents. I took a look at the engine and noticed that the radiator does not have a blower-fan on it, could this be why it is heating up so quickly? I'm a new 405 owner so please excuse my "dumb" questions. Do these models have a radiator fan on them? Any help appreciated.

Advertisement

The fan will be on the outside of the radiator behind the grille; it's an electric fan BTW.
    As far as temp goes, it should run around 90 degrees and the temp gauge should indicate this.
    The fan won't kick in until it gets around 88 and if or when it hits around 97 if it gets that hot, the fan will go onto high speed.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

agree, a double fan in front of rad.
    Mine comes on at an indicated 88 and the temp goes back down to 70. Could be worth pulling the thermostat out for a trial?

John UK

Thanks guys. I'll replace the thermostat as the gauge shoots pass 110C within 15 minutes of normal driving. It's probably passed its 4 yearly replacement cycle? Thanks for being so quick and helpful.

Thread Information