Mods, mods, mods...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Icon10 Mods, mods, mods...

Hey all,

As you may have seen in Aussie Flog, I am reluctantly selling my beloved S2 RX7. Long story short, engine ate a seal, and my parents love me to much to let me get a 13B Turbo (which for those who think is illegal, is not if you get custom manifolds). The 12A it has is in need of a rebuild and my parents sadly want to sell it in regards to my safety and petrol consumption issues.

On the safer side of things, in four weeks, I will be purchasing a 206 GTi 180 The original plan was for me to get 90% and above in my HSC and then get the 180 and sell Mr RX7, but that has changed, and now if I don't get 90 I'll probably be kicked out of home !

The 180 is a great car, I have taken it for a test drive and find the thing all what I dream of in a car. Getting on to the point however, is the issue of mods...

Mods, mods, mods... I have read around this forum and have been disappointed to find that on a scale the 180 seems almost unmodifiable... Now I know that this can't be the case, firstly, an air filter pod, is it possible to increase the air flow with a pod filter and get a small increase of power + of course a better sounding engine?
    Chips? I have heard that you can mod chip a 180 to get a bit more under the hood is this so?
    What are the brakes that the 180 uses like? Ventilated?

If there are any mods that 180 owners know of that they can help me, and other people who are interested in getting more zing out of their 180 thing, please let us know. Any comment on modding is greatly appreciated

Finally here is a strange site that offers a chip for 5 pounds in the U.K.??? I know there should be something wrong because last time I researched I saw chips and instalment went for around $1000...?

Advertisement

If you are interested... http://www.gidig.com/mod-chip/peugeot-car-mod-chip.html

Best of luck. Do a search on this site, there a many posts regarding modding. Ignore those that say it is impossible. Anything is possible and with the infinite amount of funds your parents seem to have I am sure you will be successful.

For me, the only mod I am considering is an LSD. I don't care for more straight line speed. I prefer corners. If I wanted a faster car, I would have bought one. Maybe you should consider that?
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

al

Ask the same question on a UK forum...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ashvsaod
    Best of luck. Do a search on this site, there a many posts regarding modding. Ignore those that say it is impossible. Anything is possible and with the infinite amount of funds your parents seem to have I am sure you will be successful.

For me, the only mod I am considering is an LSD. I don't care for more straight line speed. I prefer corners. If I wanted a faster car, I would have bought one. Maybe you should consider that?
    Yes, you don't know how lucky you are being able to afford a car that you don't have to modify. It has all been done by the manufacturer and better than any of us could manage. If you want something faster go and buy a jap turbo car.
    Graham

it doesnt need to be modified at all, from what ive heard its plenty fast enough, im not sure about legal power/weight limits so you might want to check that out (for victoria its 125kw/tonne im not sure if the 180 meets this)

if you want a fast car that u can tinker with and pour money into buy yourself something japanese, but please, for your sake get one with some style, BT celica would be my first choice, im also a fan of datsun 240K coupe's, and naturally, gen3 rx7's, the 13BT will take off like nothing else, hell for the price of a 180 you could buy a series seven rex, they retailed for like 120k AU origionally, the only reason they sell cheap now is most have been thrashed and nobody wants them, you can pick one up for a good price, and dont think theyre not sweet cars :p

the question is though, if you think the pug is slow, why not buy something faster to begin with?
    '92 405 mi16

Mate, good luck finding anything usefull on the local market. I did see a 180 criusing around with a eurotech gosford sticker on it. Not sure what would have been done but might be a starting point.
    I was thinking about mods recently, and maybe something you would consider. Instead of going for more power (180 hp is pretty bloody good) how about some absolutly animal brakes. You fit BIG 300mm rotors in, throw on some four pot calipers or something and really scare people with the deceleration. Do something different. Then maybe get some nice light Magnesium rims from Japan (rays, lenso or maybe OZ superturismo's) and give it that tough street racer look. Give the honda crowd something to think about. They look tough when you drop the suspension an inch or so too.

I'm of the opinion, that the only mechanical mods would be an LSD. Anything after that would be just for sounds/looks.

Plenty of mods to be had mate, You just need to take a challenge or find a mechanic who is prepared to take a challenge....

It doesnt matter if it wears a peugeot badge, suzuki badge, nissan badge.
    It's still an engine. It's designed to generate energy from burning air and fuel.

It's not that difficult

Rusty, what makes me think you'll never learn?

Learn to drive it first, learn all about it, see what it can do and ask yourself, who do I know with enough (proven) knowledge to be able to be able to do more with a car than a factory with a history of around a century of innovative design, one that has won almost every form of reliability trial that was ever thrown at a motor car, wins the WRC almost when it feels like it, with its cars in one form or another, sells hundreds of thousands of cars worldwide each year and makes cars that actually "feel" right?
    Why would anyone want to modify a car before they've even bought it and put a few thousand up on the clock?

Take your Ritulen and have a rest and think about it before we have "RX7 revisited on a computer moniter near you!!"

Alan S

PS. And before too many more of you characters start preaching Turbo Japcrap, I'd suggest you have a nice detailed read of this:-

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...602#post233602

Last edited by Alan S; 21st July 2005 at 05:50 PM.
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default Mods Mods Mods

RUSTY at the risk of offending, why don't you learn how to drive before you spend any money on a perfectly well sorted car. At the ripe old age of however old you are your need to alter a vehicle can only be seen as compulsion, only likely to add to your ego and see you bent around a tree somewhere, too busy considering how hot your car is and how hot you are to be bothered actually driving it, let alone safely.

If your serious about driving, do some advanced driving courses, join a car club, go rallying, hillclimbing, circuit racing and when you've learn much of what that has to offer, you'll know what to do to improve your vehicles performance.

As is stands, you seem like some young wan*er who thinks that full isn't enough. Seems your parents can't/won't help you apply some moderation to your avarice, so..........

Take some advice, relax, enjoy what you have, send any extra funds to Africa.

cheers ed ge

Rusty to answer your Q's

An air filter own its own will have almost nill affect. But combine it with head work, cams, extractors and $$$ and then you will see the benefits.

Chips?? The only thing that beats a fatory ECU in a consumer mass production car is a full blown aftermarket ECU. I can't recomend these plug in 'Chips' at all.

One thing I highly recomend which will add both looks AND go is, lightweight race wheels. Kyle is importing lightweight race mags from the UK, which will benefit the car in both acceleration, handling, braking and looks!! id go for 16" wheels and R spec tyres to match. I like the tuff race look that you can only get with lighteight race replica wheels... eg Compomotive, Speedline, OZ etc. plus to boys that 'know' it big props to you and your car, it always keeps em guessing.

Im also a big fan, of turfing anything i don't really need. In nearly 6 years of 2 door hatch ownership i used the back seat maybe 3 times... so the "stripped" look is tuff, makes the car faster and lighter and has lots of street appeal.... rear seats who needs em, carpet pff save it for the house etc.

THE LAST AND FINAL WORD ON MODS IS 99% of MODS VOID YOUR WARRANTY... think about that. Best to check with your dealer and get it in writting what you can and can't do.

BUT!!!.... as the lads have mentioned a driving course or three will help emensly. I know what its like when your talking cars with your mates, but I always had that edge on my mates that at the end of the day I could outdrive each one... so i was never questioned over my car/pug, infact it was the other way round... "come to a track day!" i would egg em on. I would have all my tuff mates trying to talk it up big time, turbo this and mags that... but the few that had the balls to come to a track day with me quickly shut up when i would drive faster than they did IN THEIR OWN CAR!.... i'm telling you bro, knowledge first!. - Chris
    Last edited by CHRI'S16; 21st July 2005 at 06:41 PM.
    ... ptui!

Is it me or are we expierencing dejavu not long ago you brought up similar type of thread, thinking/purchasing a 180 and what mods can be done. I dont have much driving experience and I want a brand spanker to start with.

Without sounding like a parent you bought a 20 yr old rotor lemon for under 10k a few months back with the hope of rebuilding modifying it into a faster machine. Found out its an expensive move and now abandoned it and left with no car. Now your thinking of doing the same on a car that has already been modified from factory.

What makes you think that further mods to the 180 isnt going to be expensive let alone not end up in expensive firework show? Without stating the obvious you sound like someone who lacks mechanical knowledge to start tinkering with the 180.

Sure the 180 can be moded with lots of funds.

Turbo or S charger but know that the block is not cast iron so dont think your motor is going to last long.

ECU chips and intake/pod filters make performance increases to non standard moded cars. Do you think its going to make a big difference on the 180 to justify there cost?

Know that the ecu on the 180 is different to the 138 as it already had been moded

People have tried typhoon air/pod intakes managed a few extra HP in top end but lost torque down low.

You owned a the rotor for a few months, so i guess this is your first car that hasnt been able to peform at its peak. Do you think you have acquired enough road experience yet for a brand spanker?

Learn to walk before you can fly...........
    04' GTi 180

Turbo the 180...pfft Ruin a perfectly good engine....

285 degree cams with plenty of lift and dialled in, bump up the compression slightly, run a motec or autronic smc, quad throttle bodies and a decent set of tuned length headers and you should make 200 odd hp easily

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    If you want something faster go and buy a jap turbo car.
    Graham
    Thats true, but frogs have style!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    Mate, good luck finding anything usefull on the local market. I did see a 180 criusing around with a eurotech gosford sticker on it. Not sure what would have been done but might be a starting point.
    I was thinking about mods recently, and maybe something you would consider. Instead of going for more power (180 hp is pretty bloody good) how about some absolutly animal brakes. You fit BIG 300mm rotors in, throw on some four pot calipers or something and really scare people with the deceleration. Do something different. Then maybe get some nice light Magnesium rims from Japan (rays, lenso or maybe OZ superturismo's) and give it that tough street racer look. Give the honda crowd something to think about. They look tough when you drop the suspension an inch or so too.

I'm of the opinion, that the only mechanical mods would be an LSD. Anything after that would be just for sounds/looks.
    HAHA! Well that sounds like a sweet idea, it pretty much looks like the 180 is tuned enough, how much are good brakes though...???

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Rusty to answer your Q's
    One thing I highly recomend which will add both looks AND go is, lightweight race wheels. Kyle is importing lightweight race mags from the UK, which will benefit the car in both acceleration, handling, braking and looks!! id go for 16" wheels and R spec tyres to match. I like the tuff race look that you can only get with lighteight race replica wheels... eg Compomotive, Speedline, OZ etc. plus to boys that 'know' it big props to you and your car, it always keeps em guessing.

Im also a big fan, of turfing anything i don't really need. In nearly 6 years of 2 door hatch ownership i used the back seat maybe 3 times... so the "stripped" look is tuff, makes the car faster and lighter and has lots of street appeal.... rear seats who needs em, carpet pff save it for the house etc.

THE LAST AND FINAL WORD ON MODS IS 99% of MODS VOID YOUR WARRANTY... think about that. Best to check with your dealer and get it in writting what you can and can't do.

BUT!!!.... as the lads have mentioned a driving course or three will help emensly. I know what its like when your talking cars with your mates, but I always had that edge on my mates that at the end of the day I could outdrive each one... so i was never questioned over my car/pug, infact it was the other way round... "come to a track day!" i would egg em on. I would have all my tuff mates trying to talk it up big time, turbo this and mags that... but the few that had the balls to come to a track day with me quickly shut up when i would drive faster than they did IN THEIR OWN CAR!.... i'm telling you bro, knowledge first!. - Chris
    Cris MY MAN! haha, I would love to come to a track day and take the 180 out for a spin, can you PM me on details of this? You can come out and I can teach you how to really drive...

As for wheels, I know youll hate me but I'm looking for 18' mags, not fully crome bro, but 18' racing wheels, I am a strong beliver that bigger wheels increses the cars sex appeal by a mile, is it possible to get light weight 18's?????

As for pods, If I was to put a podin would there be a chance my car would go slower, because I would like to put one in for the mad sound they make, however, if they decrese power then forget it...

sweeeeeeeeeeeet

unless you going to pushing the car hard all the time on really twisty roads the standard brakes with uprated pads will be fine...

when you change to a more performance/race orentated performance part, the overall drivablitly of the car decreases, so if your going to be sitting in traffic, you don't want a race cam (you'll have no power low down, i.e. nothing under 3 grand), hard compound pads (they will need to heat up before you can stop well), etc...

I'd see if you can do a rally course to learn how to really controll a car (not saying that you have poor driving skills) but generally most people don't know how to control the body weight of a car, how to use the brakes effectivily, how to use the throttle and brakes to control/slide a car through corners, etc...

also not to sure if the 180 has the same fun habit of lift-off overstear, but you will be wanting to know that before you go into a corner a tad bit to fast... as if you don't know it, it might very well be possible that your beloved 180 will be going ass first into some trees

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL
    also not to sure if the 180 has the same fun habit of lift-off overstear, but you will be wanting to know that before you go into a corner a tad bit to fast... as if you don't know it, it might very well be possible that your beloved 180 will be going ass first into some trees
    Take it from someone who has experienced it. Yes the 180 has lift off oversteer. Although it is easy to correct.

I personally think you will make a great looking/running car into a total dog. 18inch alloys? Good luck keeping them scratch free.

Buy a Skyline or something.
    Clint

Quote Originally Posted by blackster
    Is it me or are we expierencing dejavu not long ago you brought up similar type of thread, thinking/purchasing a 180 and what mods can be done. I dont have much driving experience and I want a brand spanker to start with.

Without sounding like a parent you bought a 20 yr old rotor lemon for under 10k a few months back with the hope of rebuilding modifying it into a faster machine. Found out its an expensive move and now abandoned it and left with no car. Now your thinking of doing the same on a car that has already been modified from factory.

What makes you think that further mods to the 180 isnt going to be expensive let alone not end up in expensive firework show? Without stating the obvious you sound like someone who lacks mechanical knowledge to start tinkering with the 180.

Sure the 180 can be moded with lots of funds.

Turbo or S charger but know that the block is not cast iron so dont think your motor is going to last long.

ECU chips and intake/pod filters make performance increases to non standard moded cars. Do you think its going to make a big difference on the 180 to justify there cost?

Know that the ecu on the 180 is different to the 138 as it already had been moded

People have tried typhoon air/pod intakes managed a few extra HP in top end but lost torque down low.

You owned a the rotor for a few months, so i guess this is your first car that hasnt been able to peform at its peak. Do you think you have acquired enough road experience yet for a brand spanker?

Learn to walk before you can fly...........
    I love it when people get angry on forums, all I can do is laugh at them.

Firstly, I do lack mechanical knowledge, thatís for sure, I don't want to charge up the hp's in my 180 to hoon around all the time, its more of a hobby thing, having a tuned motor puts you apart from the rest. For sure, if it too expensive I won't be able to do it, lets get one thing straight, my parents are not paying for this whole thing, only half... I pay the rest with money that has been painstakingly saved for this precious moment.

The RX7 was the biggest mistake I have ever made, waste of money; it was fun... while it worked.

Finnaly, I have driven all my life, since I was a little toddler. I got in the RX7 which was a bloody nightmare to drive and never stalled the thing, managed to drive it with no problems, exept the bloody bastard eating an apex seal.

If I can drive that thing fine no worries, I think I will be right with the 180... As graham said about track day, why don't we all go out one day and I will show you 17 year olds can drive too...
    Last edited by rustymunga; 22nd July 2005 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ashvsaod
    I personally think you will make a great looking/running car into a total dog. 18inch alloys? Good luck keeping them scratch free.

Buy a Skyline or something.
    But I don't care what you think, everyone is different ay, some people like things that others don't, whats with all the cussing?

I may end up keeping the stocko's there a nice set of wheels, just reckon a extra inch of more racing style mags would look good.

But because that won't impress you ashvdaod I won't get them. What will impress you but?

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga
    But I don't care what you think, everyone is different ay, some people like things that others don't, whats with all the cussing?

I may end up keeping the stocko's there a nice set of wheels, just reckon a extra inch of more racing style mags would look good.

But because that won't impress you ashvdaod I won't get them. What will impress you but?
    Easy enough to solve. Don't post looking for advice. Simple really isn't it? This is a public forum. You have posted on a public forum. Thus the public can respond. Do you expect me to just nod my head and say Yes?

What cussing? Also if you actually READ what was written it said "I PERSONALLY" Of course you should get what you like. I expressed an opinion. There is no reason to get antsy about it. Whatever you want to get for YOUR car is absolutely up to YOU. I wish you all the best in any mods that you happen to get.

I don't think anyone here is saying you can't drive. Hell driving is one of the easiest things to do in the world. After all look at all the dipshits out there in their Commonbores. Dumb as a plank and driving.

However, do they know how to react in an emergency? Do they know how to correct a spin? Do they know how to extract themselves from a corner they entered too fast?

Everyone can drive. Few can drive well.

You sound like a likable nice kid. However, this drum has been beaten way too much.

PS:
    How does a 17 year old get half the funds for a 180?

As for what will impress me? I don't know... Maybe if you manage to NOT crash your new GTi180. I will then be impressed.

Have fun.
    Last edited by 206 RC; 22nd July 2005 at 11:36 AM.
    Clint

As for wheels, I know youll hate me but I'm looking for 18' mags, not fully crome bro, but 18' racing wheels, I am a strong beliver that bigger wheels increses the cars sex appeal by a mile, is it possible to get light weight 18's?????

sweeeeeeeeeeeet
    I think light wieght 18's are an oxymoron. They might be light for a 18" rim but a light 16" rim will be Kilo's lighter per corner.
    If you got the right rims, I think, dark charcoal, maybe dark matt bronze finish would look way tougher than 18's Just think, low, fat tyres, dark rims, deep burbling rumble from the 'zorst....mmmmmmm. who cares what others think, if that makes you enjoy your car, go for it
    Last edited by mmm...CORNERS; 22nd July 2005 at 10:10 AM.

Auto Paris in Melbourne installed a quad throttle body set-up on a 138. That made it sound and look pretty hard, it seemed to go pretty hard too, but without me knowing a stock base to compare it to it is hard to quantify the actual performance improvement.

It could be the go if looks, performance and sound are important.

al

Don't worry about him - he likes his cars cute... Big rims would make his little baby too tough and scary...

And don't be a d!ck! Leave the thing how it is... the 180s are bloody unreal as they roll out of the factory...

If you want to make some pointless mods to make the thing look good perhaps a wrc inspired sticker set would be appropriate? At least that would look the part...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Personally, anyone that tries to increase a cars "sex appeal" makes me think they have a slightly disturbing affection for their car. I prefer girls...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Don't worry about him - he likes his cars cute... Big rims would make his little baby too tough and scary...

And don't be a d!ck! Leave the thing how it is... the 180s are bloody unreal as they roll out of the factory...

If you want to make some pointless mods to make the thing look good perhaps a wrc inspired sticker set would be appropriate? At least that would look the part...
    Go back to your Fuego selling debacle.
    Clint

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information