306 XSi Tank Venting
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 XSi Tank Venting

Hey guys, i have a strainge going on with my XSi (again) ... after its running i get a knock .... knock.... coming from under the car. This is felt in the floor and continues after the engine is off and the car is stopped. The banging seems to be coming from the back arch under the fuel filler, but i cannot be certain. However, when its doing this, if I remove the fuel cap,,, it sucks in and stops. Im guessing something is blocked... any ideas?

Cheers lads

Kev

Advertisement
    306 Xsi 16V

1997 306 XSi 16V, Full Stainless Exhaust, Pipercross Induction Kit, JVC / Pioneer ICE

Hi Kev,

Had the exact same thing on my XSi - a few weeks ago I had the recall modification on the fuel filler thingy done at Peugeot and hasn't been an issue since... have you had the recall work done yet? If not, give Peugeot a call ASAP and book it in (it's free).

Cheers
    Jamie
    '97 N5 306 XSi - Blaze Gold

Quote Originally Posted by xsited
    Hi Kev,

Had the exact same thing on my XSi - a few weeks ago I had the recall modification on the fuel filler thingy done at Peugeot and hasn't been an issue since... have you had the recall work done yet? If not, give Peugeot a call ASAP and book it in (it's free).

Cheers
    Jamie
    Cool. Although im not sure if my car can go for a free recall seen as its so old?
    306 Xsi 16V

1997 306 XSi 16V, Full Stainless Exhaust, Pipercross Induction Kit, JVC / Pioneer ICE

Well i phoned Peugeot stealership.... they said there was no recall for my model of car. Anyone else had this? Or know if its an easy way to fix? Driving with the petrol cap off helps lol but I dont want to keep it this way.
    306 Xsi 16V

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin
    Cool. Although im not sure if my car can go for a free recall seen as its so old?
    my 1994 306 S16 was part of the recent recall... I was surprised it took so long to figure out there was a problem.
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    my 1994 306 S16 was part of the recent recall... I was surprised it took so long to figure out there was a problem.
    suprising, i thought the recall was for N5 306's only
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

the recall was for austral asia only! dont wory bout the pressure,normal. u sure that the spare tyre cradle isnt loose? with the fuel filter there is a plastic strap that holds it and breaks real easy when old. the filter can flop around but kinda rare.not saying its these things but options too look at...
    gud luck
    i speed up for round abouts,corners and chikanes

Quote Originally Posted by flyNxsi
    the recall was for austral asia only! dont wory bout the pressure,normal. u sure that the spare tyre cradle isnt loose? with the fuel filter there is a plastic strap that holds it and breaks real easy when old. the filter can flop around but kinda rare.not saying its these things but options too look at...
    gud luck
    Thanks for the replies!

This knocking happens for a while after the engine and car are stopped, but stops instantly when the fuel filler cap is removed. Im pretty sure its a venting issue. Anyone know how the venting system works on the Xsi?
    306 Xsi 16V

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin
    Thanks for the replies!

This knocking happens for a while after the engine and car are stopped, but stops instantly when the fuel filler cap is removed. Im pretty sure its a venting issue. Anyone know how the venting system works on the Xsi?
    Isn't there a breather valve on the tank somewhere that allows for equalising pressure?

The knock in mine was definitely a fuel tank issue - the thud was actually the fuel tank reshaping itself as pressure returned into the tank i.e. it was under vacuum after heavy rev'ing. I also had issues with leaking fuel around the fuel pump evidenced by the degradation of the rubber in that area but that stopped ages ago.

Anyway as I said, once the good folks at Pug replaced what ever it was they replaced, haven't had a problem since.
    '97 N5 306 XSi - Blaze Gold

Did you fill up with Mobil??? they used to have the motto, put a tiger in your tank! Maybe he is suffering from lack of oxygen and banging on the tank saying give me some air he stops when you open the filler cap

Sorry couldn't resist.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    Did you fill up with Mobil??? they used to have the motto, put a tiger in your tank! Maybe he is suffering from lack of oxygen and banging on the tank saying give me some air he stops when you open the filler cap

Sorry couldn't resist.

Tony.

Shell Optimax or something like that fortunatly, so i know its not a tiger in the tank

Any other ideas (not involving animals please?)
    306 Xsi 16V

Well Id be suspicious of the vent hose that runs from the filler neck back to the carbon canister (I think that is where it goes).... might be possible that something has kinked it.

Now I don't know how the venting actually works (to allow air back into the tank), but I'd hazzard a guess that the purge valve (which allows petrol vapour in the carbon canistor to be recycled back through the inlet manifold) probably has a second function which is a one way action that lets air back through the carbon canister to the tank. This is pure speculation

So if the above guess is correct then it is possible that the problem could be a kinked hose between the filler neck and the carbon canistor, or in the engine bay. The purge valve (on the S16) is towards the back of the engine bay on the drivers side. I'd check the pipe running from it to the carbon canistor (which is under the right front mudgaurd) and also the one running from it to the engine vaccum. edit: oh and the one between the carbon canistor and the tank wherever that goes!

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thanks for the reply!

Ill check that out, anyone else have any idea what this could be?

I dont know a lot about this carbon filter process, so if someone can post info about this id appriciate it a lot.

Cheers

Kev
    306 Xsi 16V

Quote Originally Posted by lucin
    suprising, i thought the recall was for N5 306's only
    I don't think so. I know someone that used to own an N3 XTDT that just received a recall notice for the filler neck thing.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

FNQ
    Tadpole

Icon5 Fuel tank vacuum excessive

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    Hey guys, i have a strainge going on with my XSi (again) ... after its running i get a knock .... knock.... coming from under the car. This is felt in the floor and continues after the engine is off and the car is stopped. The banging seems to be coming from the back arch under the fuel filler, but i cannot be certain. However, when its doing this, if I remove the fuel cap,,, it sucks in and stops. Im guessing something is blocked... any ideas?

Cheers lads

Kev
    I have exactly the same problem with my xsi that I purchased 6months ago. The noise coming from the tank gets that bad sometimes, it is like someone kicking the back of the drivers seat. When I park the vehicle it continues to make loud thumping noises until I release the fuel cap.

I pulled the fuel tank down as I noticed one of the vacuum hoses was squashed between the fuel tank and body. I purchased a new vacuum hose from the local Peugeot dealer including a new non return valve which is attached to the R/H side of the tank as it was leaking fuel.

The tank is still making all sorts of bonking noises. I have blown through all the lines and checked the operation of the purge valve with no faults evident.

I was thinking that I had the wrong fuel cap and was looking at buying one with a vacuum release valve incorporated in it . Even modifying it myself.

After reading your information dated 2005 I was wondering if more information has come to light since.

I might contact the dealer and ask if a recall was open on this vehicle. It has had a lot of owners in the past so if there was a recall, it would not have been done.

Look forward to your replies

My valve starting leaking recently as well. I removed it entirely so the tank vents all the time. An easy fix but access was difficult.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

It was Esso (Standard Oil) that put the Tiger in the Tank, not Mobil.

Thread Information