Timing
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Timing

Fellow Frogger!

Default Timing

I have been fiddling around with the distributor after the head job If it wasn't out of sync when I started it definatley is now. Can some one give me a run through of the procedure to set it up. There is no hole above the fly wheel, a flat spot on the casting where it should be, but it aint there, don't think I can fit the drill in to make one either. Sunday in Silverwater Park was very pleasant. regards cane toad

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Some one must know I will give this a hit to keep it current regards cane toad

Fellow Frogger!

Is it the screw driver down the #1 spark plug hole method regards cane toad

Icon7

What sort of car is it?

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Nobody had a clue as you haven't told us what sort of car you have. However, regardless of the car, the spark plug should fire near the top of the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke. You could use a screw driver down the hole to verify that the piston is approaching TDC, but you also need to differentiate between the compression and exhaust strokes. In your case, all valves (on the cylinder being tested) should be closed.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

TDC on number one will be when the piston is at the top and both valves are closed (which if you haven't got the tappet cover off makes this a bit hit & miss).
    The rotor button brass arm should be pointing at where the number 1 lead sits directly above on the distributor cap. The points (assuming it's that kind of distributor) should be open at around 15 thou and the cam lobe on the shaft should be at its highest point.
    Some engines also have TDC marked on the front casing of the engine and have a mark on the crankshaft pulley to line up with it and often marks back to around 20 deg BTDC.

Hope this is some help but not knowing which car you have makes it a bit vague.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Whoops sorry it is a 504 79 sedan cane toad

Icon7

Number one cylinder is closest to the firewall on these models, most other cars have number one at the front. The following graphic is out of the Haynes manual, it sort of explains things. As Alan said, take the rocker cover off and see where the valves are and what they are doing. This will give you TDC. The timing should be set to 8 degrees before TDC at idle with a warm engine. A timing light will be required. While you have the rocker cover off you may as well adjust the tappets .

Matt.
    Last edited by Ralph; 21st July 2005 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Couldn't get picture uploaded to this shitty vBulletin software

Fellow Frogger!

Nice one Ralph much appreciated, I 'll give it a go tomorrow be nice to get the little cutie going, nice to get the car back on the road as well. regards cane toad

Fellow Frogger!

I have just had a look at your fotos nice place. I have a wagon the same as the blue one you are working on, similar condition and the same colour, great car steers like it has power steering. I didn't know that they made them with fuel injection or is that a conversion you have done? I also had a 404 wagon similar to the one in the other foto, very stylish looking shed you have there. Thanks once again. regards cane toad

mlb

It all depends whether or not the distributor has been removed. If it has and you the rotor towards the #1 plug lead at TDC you have a 50% chance of being 180 degrees out. If the distributor had not been removed just rotated a lot, then you should be right just to put #1 at TDC and aiming the rotor as the distributor cannot be turned 180 degrees. On mine, when it's firing #1 the rotor points in the general direction of the carby.

And instead of the screwdriver down the plug hole, just go off the timing marks. Set it up, if she no fire, swap the leads around. Pays to have someone rotating the distributor while you're trying to start it, just in case things are out a bit.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Icon7

The estate belongs to a friend of mine. That day it broke the timing belt to the fuel injection pump. I had to drive to about 35km north of Albury and tow him home. We were lucky there were no cops about as I think it is illegal to tow a car using just rope. I thought that some 504 estates came out with fuel injection as standard. The 504 estate with the mag wheels is in exceptional condition. The person who owns it has done it up and done a very good job. She uses it as her cabinet making business car.

The 404 (along with the two Citröens) was photographed behind a pub in Seymour whilst I was down there working at Puckapunyal.

It is a good rustic sort of shed. Like all sheds though, it isn't big enough.

Matt.

Yeah, the shed's never big enough unless your friend can arrive with a broken injection timing belt and put it in the shed to work on without taking something of yours out... right?

Fellow Frogger!

Yes got it going this arvo don't know what I did but it started OK will have to tighten up the exhaust a bit and the accelerator cable is a bit rough, time for a newy but it sounds a lot better than before the head came of, been down on power for a long time. Thank you one and all for the assistance. regards cane toad

Icon7

No worries chops.

Matt.

Thread Information