Save My Pug
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Save My Pug

mlb

Icon9 Save My Pug

Help,

It had to happen. Got asked the question today 'Can we get rid of the Pug and get something that's easier to drive?'. I immediately put my hands over my ears and ran to the bedroom crying.

The complaints stem from - the car stalls in the morning - no choke at the moment, not that I find that to be a problem
    - It's been a bit difficult to start lately - takes a bit of winding before it fires
    - the lack of power steering makes it difficult to park - bit of an issue as it's mainly used around town - again not for me though

In all fairness though she said we could keep the pug if I want, but three cars between the two of us is a bit of overkill - especially as we have nowhere to store them - , or we could look at an easier to drive Pug.

BUT, I don't want to get rid of my 505, so I'm going to have to bring it up to scratch So :
    - The choke is not a problem - it's on my list to do anyway and it's easy - worst case I replace the carby
    - The difficulty to start - has only been an issue since the work I did the other week - new leads, points, distributor condensor, strip and overhaul carby - providing that the timing and point gap is right (which it should be allowing for wear) what else could be causing this, too rich/lean? - I'm yet to check the quality of spark, but it should be ok
    - As for the steering, has anyone fitted power steering to a XN1 505 before, and if so how did it go and what were the problems. I think peujohn did it a while back- wondering how that worked out

Advertisement

Also any other suggestions to bring it up to everyday town running standard would be a godsend. She says she still enjoys driving it, but the associated problems I've listed are wearing a bit thin. See that's another problem with buying the Liberty - no-one else forgives the Pug its foibles like myself and truly respects it for what it is.

Considering spending $5,000 for a Laser or Barina( ) was mentioned, I think I may have a bit of leeway in expenditure for the 505, so all is not lost.

But please someone help! It's times like these that us AFers need to band together against the forces of evil. Somebody hold me!

Any suggestions would be great.

Matt

PS - I suppose if she wants a Barina, we could always get a 205
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Matt,

As i've said I have a fair bit of the makings of a Power steering setup here, grab a couple of bits off the wagon at camdale *brackets etc* and away you go!

Easy as pie!

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Fellow Frogger!

Default 505

what tyres have you on the front?
    wider tyres and low pressures add up to heavy steer

pump them all up to 30psi+ and see how she steers.

if you have the auto choke carby it may need resetting after a fiddle either that or disconnect auto choke and poke a cable for a manual choke in the front of the box on the side, more reliable you will need a long cable(use a 504 bonnet cable)

make sure the battery to starter lead is making good contact, and the coil leads
    even put a new one on the starter if it is suss
    they have been known to cause hard to start probs due to robbing volts from the coil from poor connections,

As for Libertys, several have been known to blow head gaskets around 200,000k Cost my neighbour $3000!!!!!

good luck
    alpine

That current to the coil on start-up can be restored by using a relay triggered by the starter lead... works a treat.

alpine is quite right about tyres... they are the answer to the heavy steering and much easier to fit than power steering. Look around the tyre stores for a tread pattern with a lot of potential for movement in the tread, this allows the wheels to turn more readily. Keep the front suspension bushes in good shape and you're three quarters of the way there.

Without a leaky steering rack...

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Pug_405_Mi16
    As i've said I have a fair bit of the makings of a Power steering setup here, grab a couple of bits off the wagon at camdale *brackets etc* and away you go!

Easy as pie!
    Famous last words! Things are never that simple. But if anyone has any advice on doing such a thing, it would be great. Is it just a bolt on job? The problem I can also see is getting a 3x pulley for the crank. Either that or not bother with the A/C. Did the XN1's even come out with Power Steering, just so I know whether there are mounting holes in the block?
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine
    what tyres have you on the front?
    wider tyres and low pressures add up to heavy steer

pump them all up to 30psi+ and see how she steers.
    Standard sized wheels and tyres. Retreads all around though - legacy of previous owner! Pressures have all been maintained around the 30psi mark.

if you have the auto choke carby it may need resetting after a fiddle either that or disconnect auto choke and poke a cable for a manual choke in the front of the box on the side, more reliable you will need a long cable(use a 504 bonnet cable)
    It has a manual choke SEIEA from a '78 504. The choke is just binding a bit when it comes off the fast idle cam and the cable isn't stong enough. Cold running isn;t really a problem as it's in hand.

make sure the battery to starter lead is making good contact, and the coil leads
    even put a new one on the starter if it is suss
    they have been known to cause hard to start probs due to robbing volts from the coil from poor connections
    I'm confident that the ignition system is ok as most of it has been renewed. The starter may be an issue, I'll attack it all with a multi meter and look for any drops in voltage. I'll rip out a spark plug and see what sort of spark I'm getting too.

It may also be a result of the work I did on the carby. I gave it all a good clean, replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm, and readjusted the float (down). I'm just thinking maybe the float is too low know. Possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    That current to the coil on start-up can be restored by using a relay triggered by the starter lead... works a treat.

alpine is quite right about tyres... they are the answer to the heavy steering and much easier to fit than power steering. Look around the tyre stores for a tread pattern with a lot of potential for movement in the tread, this allows the wheels to turn more readily. Keep the front suspension bushes in good shape and you're three quarters of the way there.

Without a leaky steering rack...
    Will look at new tyres. May make the ride smoother also. And yes I avoid the leaky rack, but also the tears of fitting it in the first place.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll keep you advised should the log of claims grow.

Cheers

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Matt,

Yep XN's did come with power steering, the SR and the SLI. That SLI Wagon would have the tripple pulley and the timing case required to make it happen.

The mounting holes are down at the front of the block on the exhaust side.

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Pug_405_Mi16
    Matt,

Yep XN's did come with power steering, the SR and the SLI. That SLI Wagon would have the tripple pulley and the timing case required to make it happen.

The mounting holes are down at the front of the block on the exhaust side.

Cheers

Ben
    OK, might have to have a look. What about the rack - bolt straight on? Can I use the existing steering wheel and shaft?

I've also read peujohn's thread and he details a few issues he had - mind you he was fitting it to a 505. Needed a different crossmember, and had issues with alignment and interference with fans and exhaust. Would this be a concern in this case?

Thanks

Matt
    Last edited by mlb; 21st July 2005 at 12:04 PM.

mlb

The log of claims is increasing and things are looking a bit desperate

I'll be having to look at tightening things up to make it less 'clunky' - I think that's the word that was used. Maybe new rubber all around and some new suspension bushes may do it - hopefully.

With the issue of starting, it seems to start allright when cold - with no choke even - but once it warms up, it can take a bit of cranking to get it going. Could this be too low a level in the float bowl? I'm thinking adjusting it wasn't the best move I'd made.

Bit of a weekend ahead I think.

Thanks

Matt

Thread Information