405 SRDT Diesel Mechanic Nrthn NSW???
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 405 SRDT Diesel Mechanic Nrthn NSW???

Can anyone suggest a good, realiable (and quick) diesel mechanic near Ballina that is experienced with Peugeot Diesels??

I have recently had a few problems with my mechanic, not that he isn't generally good, but he is so busy that his workmanship has declined recently.

Advertisement

I have just spent over $2000 on it, only to find the car didn't start the morning after I got it home. Ahhhh!!!! We had been without the car for almost 4 weeks whilst it was with the mechanic too!!!!

Is it turning over and over and not starting. Perhaps the glowplugs need to be replaced. From a basic situation the diesel will only not start if one of three conditions are not met. Cranking speed, Fuel supply, Compression. If the Glow Plugs are OK (check by removing them and attaching direct to battery, the +ve to the threaded top and the -ve to the hexagon if they glow red hot in about 5 seconds they are fine if they dont glow red they are shot and the probable reason as to why the car wont start.) BTW dont touch them for about 10 mins after as they are very hot.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Tadpole

Coles car sales in Lismore are pug dealers, and only ever heard good things about them.
    good luck
    robroy

UOTE=cruiserman]Is it turning over and over and not starting. Perhaps the glowplugs need to be replaced. From a basic situation the diesel will only not start if one of three conditions are not met. Cranking speed, Fuel supply, Compression. If the Glow Plugs are OK (check by removing them and attaching direct to battery, the +ve to the threaded top and the -ve to the hexagon if they glow red hot in about 5 seconds they are fine if they dont glow red they are shot and the probable reason as to why the car wont start.) BTW dont touch them for about 10 mins after as they are very hot.[/QUOTE]

Tadpole

Lismore diesel service has worked on my 504 (with 505 turbo) and have an excellent reputation in the area. In fact, when I was talking to a Peugeot man in Brisbane he made the comment that Lismore diesel is one of the best!
    It doies sound like glow plugs. a simple crude check is to disconnect the wire to the glow plugs, leave them in the head and do a simple resistance check with a meter- no resistance should equal OK. No circuit equals stuffed!

Tadpole

Default Ahhhhh!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Swinton
    Lismore diesel service has worked on my 504 (with 505 turbo) and have an excellent reputation in the area. In fact, when I was talking to a Peugeot man in Brisbane he made the comment that Lismore diesel is one of the best!
    It doies sound like glow plugs. a simple crude check is to disconnect the wire to the glow plugs, leave them in the head and do a simple resistance check with a meter- no resistance should equal OK. No circuit equals stuffed!
    Thanks Richard,

I actually have used Lismore diesel service (Merv Bryant) and he is excellent. He just rebuilt the injector pump and injectors for me. My problem was with the mechanic who adjusted the timing!!

The car now goes cause Merv came down to Ballina to fix my car.... ended up that all the problems have stemmed from a couple of 'o' rings ($12) that caused leakage. (Not something that Merv was responsible for). This leakage has been a problem for months and has never been fixed by my mechanic - even though we mentioned this problem back in March. We have now spent over $5000 on this car to find out that it could have been avoided for $12 worth of 'o' rings!!!!

My other problem is that since getting the car back from the mechanic who was supposed to fix the timing we now have a huge knocking/banging sound coming from the valves! The dramas just never seem to end!!!

Ksandra,
    Merv should be able to re-time the SRDT. I have found Lis Diesel very good too. (I live in Lismore) I, too have had those O rings fail: I had a spare filter housing, so swapped it. When the O rings leak, it lets air into the system, causing loss of bleed. It then takes some time to pump the fuel to the injectors.
    Has the mechanic changed the Timing belt? Possibly the cam slipped a tooth: but I think this bends things!

Coles Cars are the best Pug mechanics around, but they are always busy. I have used others, but not to recommend for someone having problems!

regards Doug

Any of you gentlemen know who drives a red 405 mi16 in the lismore/nimbin area?

Quote Originally Posted by Momentum
    Any of you gentlemen know who drives a red 405 mi16 in the lismore/nimbin area?
    No. (But I drive a Red SRDT....)
    regards Doug

Yeh i think i have seen it in Browns Creek carpark a few times...had a bit of a look

Thread Information