Jumping fuel gauge in 306
  • Register
  • Help

Jumping fuel gauge in 306

Of late Iíve noticed that my fuel gauge is jumping at a rapid rate for no appropriate reason. For example, I can drive in a straight line no hills, go down a gear and overtake a car and my fuel gauge can go from 1/2 tank to 1/4 tank and back to 1/2 and so and so on. Is this a common problem and how can this be fixed?

Advertisement

hi asanka, i wouldnt worry at all dude. just seems like gravity at work mate unless someone else has another explanation.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

pugjet:
    hi asanka, i wouldnt worry at all dude. just seems like gravity at work mate unless someone else has another explanation.
    Yeah you see that's what i intially thought, but why would it happen if im going on a straight flat road?

Of late i have had to put in 95 R.O.N instead of the 98 stuff. Could this have effected the gauge slightly??

Fellow Frogger!
    Sounds like your float in your fuel tank may have jus lost abit of its tension.

Something really not to worry about long as you still know exactly how much fuel you have left in your car.

immy s16:
    Sounds like your float in your fuel tank may have jus lost abit of its tension.

Something really not to worry about long as you still know exactly how much fuel you have left in your car.
    Well at times it can be hard to keep track and estimate as the thing is jumping around so often. At the moment i'm just giving it a regular top up.

1000+ Posts
    Do as I always did in my XR and reset the trip meter each time you fill up. 800km should be a generous amount in the country, and 500km in the city.. then you don't need to worry about the fuel guage.

Derek.

Fellow Frogger!
    Dare I say it the needle on the gauge could be loose? I had the same problem with the temp gauge along with a bad earth

Thread Information