• Register
  • Help

Thread: New member

Default New member

Hi all,

New here, just purchased my first Pug (91 205GTI). Having a ball driving this car.

I have a friend that has a 206, so it is his fault.

Into rallying (not with the 205 though) with a Datsun Bluebird.

Cheers

Advertisement

Merlin205

Merlin2005,

Welcome to

Tell us a bit about your machine.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Welcome welcome

Post up some pics

Do you get over to penrith much?

Default My 205

Bog standard even the stereo (until this weekend)1991, 184 000 km, Series 3, very good condition inside and out. Drives very nicely naturally Silver paint.

Pass through Penrith to and from work each day and on weekends, so catching up is certianly possible. Will be joining Pug Owners club in July and also attending the All French Car day.

I competed in Targa Tas in 96 (Datsun 240Z) and am now thinking of building a second 205 for future Targas etc. From my very limited drving of the car so far, with a bit more poke (not too much though)and only the required safety gear, I reckon the 205GTI would be a very stress free/fun entry. thoughts? Any one on here entered before?

Merlin205

Quote Originally Posted by merlin205
    Bog standard even the stereo (until this weekend)1991, 184 000 km, Series 3, very good condition inside and out. Drives very nicely naturally Silver paint.

Pass through Penrith to and from work each day and on weekends, so catching up is certianly possible. Will be joining Pug Owners club in July and also attending the All French Car day.

I competed in Targa Tas in 96 (Datsun 240Z) and am now thinking of building a second 205 for future Targas etc. From my very limited drving of the car so far, with a bit more poke (not too much though)and only the required safety gear, I reckon the 205GTI would be a very stress free/fun entry. thoughts? Any one on here entered before?

Merlin205
    Lots of threads here on what to do to a 205, what they really need is an LSD(occasional group buys on here) and suspension upgrades(prob konis as best bet) and that's about it...
    205gti

Welcome to the forum!
    Hope you find heaps and heaps here to help you with your motor!

Nick
    You twist and turn like a twist-ey turn-ey thing! - Lord Melchett - Blackadder the 2nd

Default LSD Group buy

What is the going cost for these jiggers? Are they the Quaife Auto torque biasing (ATB) ones or what?

I am thinking of (after further research) finding another shell/complete car (series?) and stripping some weight out (sound deadener etc) a few motor mods (exhaust, cam, head work, inlet? not sure what is done with these things yet) cage, safety gear and go. The brakes seem fine (good pads and fluid )and the suspension would only need tweaking?? I am guessing at this stage.

Merlin205

Quote Originally Posted by merlin205
    What is the going cost for these jiggers? Are they the Quaife Auto torque biasing (ATB) ones or what?

I am thinking of (after further research) finding another shell/complete car (series?) and stripping some weight out (sound deadener etc) a few motor mods (exhaust, cam, head work, inlet? not sure what is done with these things yet) cage, safety gear and go. The brakes seem fine (good pads and fluid )and the suspension would only need tweaking?? I am guessing at this stage.

Merlin205
    Yes, the Quaiffe, and around $12-1300, less if you can stir up interest for a bulk-buy.Series doesn't matter, talk to PeterT re engine mods,(mainly involve getting compression back up and a cam, don't worry re inlet/exhaust)and there's some good UK web-sites dedicated to prepping a 205 for either tarmac or gravel rallying.A good cage makes a huge difference to torsional rigidity, there's photos somewhere on here of mine(do a search for 205 cage).
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by casnell; 15th June 2005 at 10:17 PM.
    205gti

hey merlin welcome to af.

obviously youre a person of immense taste.

looks as if youve caught the 205gti bug. how long have you had your gti? ive never seen a silver s3 in melbourne.

go take some pics of your ride soz we can have a bit of a perve session.

and by the sounds of it youre a weekend hack... what other motorsport have you competed in chief?

chris (casnell) here is our *resident rally australia superstar. he last used his 205gti as a recce car for this year's rally of canberra (didnt mean to steal your thunder chris ).

edit*
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Pugjet,

Unfortunately you won't see a Silver S3 in Melbourne as I am in Sydney (more than one Richmond in this fine land).

As to motorsport, A friend (206 owner ) and I plan to rally the Datsun Bluebird in CAMS and AMSAG events and when we finish his Lancia Beta in Historic rally events. Had planned to build a 240Z for Targa, however, it will be just a resto job now.

I am keen to see what the Syd Pug club does in the way of events.

Merlin205

Hi Merlin,
    there are three basics to make a 205 GTi a winner:

1. Quaife ATB
    2. Lower diff ratio
    3. 23mm torsion bars

My 205 is an ex. Targa car if you'd like to have a look.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Hi Merlin,
    there are three basics to make a 205 GTi a winner:

1. Quaife ATB
    2. Lower diff ratio
    3. 23mm torsion bars

My 205 is an ex. Targa car if you'd like to have a look.

This Tadpole, bows in the presence of greatness Will you be going to the all French car day??.

Additionally what is done to the engines to make them go better?

Merlin205

Yes, I'll be at the French day.

Engine mods are as deep as your wallet. Do a search, I posted something a few yrs ago about 205 kW. The most important thing is a baffled sump. XU9 series engines suffer badly from oil surge. With the three mods above and semi-slicks, you can easily destroy an XU9 engine.

I think you'll be impressed initially however, with a lower diff and 90kW engine. If for Targa, 16V is a no-no.

The PugNSW club is not very motorsport orientated. I joined the Lotus club for that.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Default New member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Yes, I'll be at the French day.

Engine mods are as deep as your wallet. Do a search, I posted something a few yrs ago about 205 kW. The most important thing is a baffled sump. XU9 series engines suffer badly from oil surge. With the three mods above and semi-slicks, you can easily destroy an XU9 engine.

I think you'll be impressed initially however, with a lower diff and 90kW engine. If for Targa, 16V is a no-no.

The PugNSW club is not very motorsport orientated. I joined the Lotus club for that.
    Merlin,
    See me at the AFD and I will give you some back issues of the pugilist. No the club is not too sports orientated. I will go over to the 205 corner and see you and Peter T on the day. I should be with my 504Ti that i've owned for 33 years. So now you know I'm older than 21.
    Steve V6 ..
    404,504Ti, 406SV.

Thread Information