505 tie rod ends
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 505 tie rod ends

I need to replace the left side end on the steering rack. I get a clunk when turning the wheel when the car is stationery. I have been told some adjustment may be built into the system to compensate for this. Is this a stright forward repair? Any advice on how to go about it appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Is the slack in the end of the rack, the rack it self or in the tie rod end. The tie rod end is basic but the rack end generally means the rack needs to come out.

Tim

It can also be the rack moving within the housing... there are dampers to prevent this and they wear as well...

Check for vertical movement.

mlb

It actually may not be your tie rod or rack. It could be the bearing on the top of the strut. When I replaced the tie rod on mine the other week, I gave the wheel a good turn when it was free. There was a bit of a clunking at the top of the strut when I did that. not sure of the workings of the suspension, but a clunkibg when turned could be from there.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Tadpole

Default Thanks so far guys.

I spent a bit of time under the 505 today. The tie rod end ball joint has lots of movement but the is also movement in the tie rod. When the tie rod is pushed up and down at the point where the rubber gaiter is (where the rod enters the housing) there is a clunk. Im not sure what this is...is there a rubber bush inside the housing worn out or is it something else?

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by jcar
    I spent a bit of time under the 505 today. The tie rod end ball joint has lots of movement but the is also movement in the tie rod. When the tie rod is pushed up and down at the point where the rubber gaiter is (where the rod enters the housing) there is a clunk. Im not sure what this is...is there a rubber bush inside the housing worn out or is it something else?
    jcar, here is a picture of what's hidden under the rubber boot on the inner end of the tierod. It's all pressed steel, so there's no user serviceable parts there. If there is a bit of slack there it means replacing the rod as it should be tight - you shouldn't be able to move it easily by hand when new. The threaded end just screws into the end of the rack with a lock washer. The entire rod is available from EAI etc for around $70 or just the inner rod for $40ish.

Hope this helps

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Like I posted earlier, you can get movement of the rack itself within the housing... check that before replacing the ball joint... not only easier to replace but a lot cheaper too.

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Like I posted earlier, you can get movement of the rack itself within the housing... check that before replacing the ball joint... not only easier to replace but a lot cheaper too.
    A good check if it's the rack or rod is to try to move each wheel. If they move the same with the same noise, then there's a good chance it's the rack. If only one side slops and clunks, blame the rod. Not a definatlve answer, but a starting point that will narrow things down.

Tadpole

Default Thanks all for the continuing help.

Mlb thanks for the photo. You said the rod or inner rod is available from EAI. EAI is that a shop or the maker of the parts?

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by jcar
    Mlb thanks for the photo. You said the rod or inner rod is available from EAI. EAI is that a shop or the maker of the parts?
    Sorry jcar. EAI is a European parts distributor in Melbourne. Their website is www.eai.net.au. I just noticed where you are, so you may have to tryo to source one locally. Shouldn't be too hard if you get in touch with a local pug club, or even someone from AF who's from your neck of the woods may be able to point you in the right direction

Matt

Originally posted by mlb
    A good check if it's the rack or rod is to try to move each wheel. If they move the same with the same noise, then there's a good chance it's the rack. If only one side slops and clunks, blame the rod. Not a definitlve answer, but a starting point that will narrow things down.
    I think I'd rather just grab the tie rod and see if it moves up and down...

Thread Information