Soggy carpet!!
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Soggy carpet!!

Tadpole

Default Soggy carpet!!

Hi..i regularly read this board but this is the first time that i have posted. I recently bought a s16 and absolutely love it! That's until that lovely downpour we received in Melbourne over night....i get up to find that lovely rain soaking my carpet! I'm pretty sure its the door seal and/or the seal around the windscreen...can someone recommend a place around Melbourne that i can pick up some door seals this week?

Advertisement

Thanks

hey whats the smell of the carpet? are you willing to taste it? does it taste like coolant? dogs piss? what? its just that you may have a broken heater core, instead... but it all seems just too ironic that your carpets were wet after last nights down pour.

just a thought
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Tadpole

How is that ironic?

Perhaps it would be more ironic if it were to be any of the alternatives listed, it is well worth checking them out, these things do happen. Were your doors completely shut that night? I wonder why you have never had any other problems like this before to indicate deteriorating seals for instance, give or take the general lack of rain in Australia these days.

Try around the car with a watering can to see if you can repeat the problem/ find the point of entry. Seems unlikely that both door and windscreen seals would commence to leak at same time, investigate before purchasing presumed remedy.

ed ge

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by 1st_time_pug
    How is that ironic?
    Ironic maybe the wrong word, but the right intent - you can sometimes substitute ironically and coincidental ... that'll make it read easier.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    does it taste like coolant? dogs piss?

An expert on the taste of dogs piss are we?
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

yes its ironic coz i say so ... and i dont drink it - i bathe in it.

current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Tadpole

coolant - no, dogs piss - no, broken heater core - no, ironic - no. Thanks Edgedweller for a sensible reply. I was asking a genuine question on a forum where people know their [email protected], not asking to be flamed.

Just a thought

Icon1

Was the car on a slope eg with the left wheels in a gutter and a raise to the road so the right wheels are higher?? (or something to that effect?)

I know that both my 505 and the Swift when parked like this, the water builds up at the bottom of the door ontop of the sill, just enough to puddle over past the door seals. Only in heavy rain not showers. It never happens anywhere but where I live now, must be a perfect gradient, any other slope an there are no leaks.

And the carpet in the 505 sure smells bad once its wet Means the car sits with all windows open in the sun for a day or two after.

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Its gonna be the door rubber, or the screen. How long have you had the car?
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Tadpole

not had it that long...this is its 'first big rain', wish it was raining when i went to check it out first time! Would Bursons (or similar) stock the door rubbers or would i have to get them through Regans?

One way to test it is to take the car (and a friend) to one of thos self-serve high pressure car washes. You sit in the car and stick your head around the areas it's getting wet while your friend blasts the crap out of the door and window seals with the high pressure gun. This way you'll soon find out where it's getting in.

Might save a bit of time waiting till it rains next!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

al

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    Might save a bit of time waiting till it rains next!
    I spent a while cleaning up my car today so it will probably rain tomorrow...

Anyway, it is probably just something simple like the top of the screen. My car is leaking there at the moment but i keep forgetting to fix it...

Wasn't the original question about where to get seals from though...? I would imagine anyone that does automotive glass could fix it in a second.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

If you haven't had it long, I wonder then if it had a new screen fitted for a roadworthy before sale.
    Or does the car have an after market sunroof?
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Tadpole

Just so you can all tell me how dumb I am.. My first pug was a 94 106, first time it rained the sunroof leaked so I had the great idea untill I could get it sorted of placing a plastic sheet over the top of the car. Heres where it gets silly... I decided the best way of securing said sheet was to trap it in the doors. That night it proceeded to absolutely pee it down so in the morning when I opened the car I was greeed with puddles of water inside, everything soaking wet through. The rain had run down the sheet and through the gaps the sheet was making in the door seals.. See now you can tell me how dumb that was.

All the best..Shootlow

Has the car had the stock speakers changed?

When I had mine change the seals were damaged and whenever significant rains fell I would have water flood the footwells.

If this is the case you may need to repair the complete door insulation, rather than just the seals.
    '99 306 XSi Black Metallic

Fellow Frogger!

G'day

A few weeks ago I posted a similar problem with my 180. I had a leak where the water was gathering under the drivers side feet. Took it to peugeot and they found it was a door seal or membrane that was not on properly.

I personally think this happened to me last year when I got my driver's side window replaced due to a scratch in the glass on delivery. Anyway peugeot fixed it and it hasn't leaked since so I guess that was it.

So you may want to check around the door and see if water is leaking through there.

Hope this helps
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Tadpole

It has a factory sunroof, didn't mention it coz thought it was just the door seals. After more heavy rain last night and a closer look it seems that the 'gutters' inside the sunroof are taking a while to drain...the drain hole in the sunroof doesnt look blocked, but i am unable to find where this drains exits? Does anyone know? I can see one drainage tube under the door seals but dont think this is coming from the sunroof. Also doesn't explain why the water would come under the doors when the door seals look like they are in good nick ie. not deteriorated or worn.

Thread Information