Brake info for all Peugeot owners - DBA rotors
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Brake info for all Peugeot owners - DBA rotors

Hey there,

I have been chatting to an engineer at DBA brakes about their lack of products for Peugeot.

They'll be looking at all of their Peugeot range (well... they don't have one currently) however the 306 and 406 rotors will be catered for very soon.

I have just bought some EBC slotted discs for my 306, and will be lending my old warped jobs to DBA so they can look at some of the reasons behind why they're warping (asides from heinous abuse and maltreatment). They'll be looking at the design of them and the materials used.

They've ordered in some GTi-6 front and rear rotors from Peugeot as a reference to design their own ones on.

The benefit of replacement discs like this is they tend to be far more durable in high temp situations, and tend not to warp as easily. They also have slotted and cross drilled designs to help the keep the pad de-glazed and help with heat dissipation.

Advertisement

I have a feeling they're cheaper than Peugeot replacements too.

I'll keep you updated on when these rotors will be available, I believe the GTi-6 ones are coming first.

If you place your interest here for DBA rotors for any model of Peugeot that you have - I'll send this link to Steve @ DBA and it will get the ball rolling faster on product development (ie - they're not going to make them if there's no interest!)

Also, info on what Citreon models share the same discs as Pugs would be relevent here too.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Just wondering, what does glazing do to the pads, and how does it occur?

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Too rapid heating, or overheating, causes the pads to glaze or form a hard surface.

This then has a lower coefficient of friction and thus the brakes aren't as effective.

404 discs a possibility? Should somebody tell Rolly Pymm?

Fellow Frogger!
    Ray - the only thing I can think of regarding the 404s would be a lack of demand.

I have a feeling the 205, 405, 505, 306, 206 and 406 would have more demand, and with a fair few of them driven by performance enthusiasts.

Not to say 404s aren't driven by performance enthusiasts, only there just aren't that many around any more - are there?

Count me in, that sounds cool, I'll be up for new discs by the time they have the rotors ready (12 months or so). Do you use their pads as well?

I just used the "genuine" non-Peugeot branded ones...in a lime green box, don't remember the brand. They are working much nicer than the ones the previous owner had thrown on...

- Lincoln
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    DBA already make discs for 504/505 and 604's and from what i have heard they are cheaper and better than original pug items
    they even supply slotted vented discs for 505/604 and are available through your local repco agent for ordering
    good to see that they are now going to cater for the later models as well now
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!
    I'm using Bendix original replacements on the rear, they seem to be working quite well (although the originals were VERY worn) and EBC greenstuffs on the front.

Not sure how I feel about them, will see when the new discs are on (it's hard to make any judgements with warped and grooved discs).

They stop quite a bit more positively than the originals I had on the front, I can say that.

Fellow Frogger!
    That's great pugrambo - I didn't know they catered for the 504/505s already. Good stuff.

Rolly had the opening to order 404 discs from Italy as long as he ordered either a hundred discs or a hundred pairs... can't remember which. These things are so big there is nothing else you can adapt... would be nice if there was a replacement.

After all, it's not just for 404s, but for 403s and 203s that have been modified as well.

just put pre 75 504 discs on 403B's onwards and run 15" wheels
    i find that easier than trying to find 404 discs and calipers and pads
    plenty of 504's around and you can still buy the discs for these cars locally
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Anyone bothered to check out their website?

<a href="http://www.dba.com.au/catalogue/DBA%20Catalogue.htm" target="_blank">http://www.dba.com.au/catalogue/DBA%20Catalogue.htm</a>

Alan S

<small>[ 16 August 2002, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Alan S ]</small>
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!
    Oops!

OK, in that case - this applies to 306 GTi-6 owners, and 406 owners!

And 307 owners!

From memory, it wasn't that complete last time I checked!

Deary me...

mallet
    Adrian

Fellow Frogger!
    And 206 owners!

I'm not so sure. I think it's important to match the pad material to the disc. I've tried Bendix std. pads, but they're no match for the Pug pad on a Pug rotor. Pug pads aren't expensive, nor are their rotors. Peugeot are one of the few manufactures who make their own steel. Who knows if they cast their own rotors, but the pad/rotor combination is very good.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

pugrambo:
    If you have the 15" wheels, why not use the bigger discs?

There are calipers available that can be made to fit and avoid use of a booster (Humber Vague/Hillman Super Minx)... and no complication with 4-stud wheels.

Ray Bell:
    pugrambo:
    If you have the 15" wheels, why not use the bigger discs?

There are calipers available that can be made to fit and avoid use of a booster (Humber Vague/Hillman Super Minx)... and no complication with 4-stud wheels.
    you could do that but 504 items are easier to find
    you can still play with master cylinders to achieve the right brake force ratio if you don't want to run a booster
    either that or have a big foot
    if you really wanted to you could run a second cylinder between the master and the wheel cylinders to achieve this as well
    bit like a relay in an electrical system
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

And the stud pattern?

Fellow Frogger!
    PeterT - I agree with you on the rotor/pad combination being good. The feel of the standard setup in the 306 is excellent and exceeds many standard cars I've driven in terms of feel, progressive bite and stopping power.

However, the fact remains that the discs warp relatively easily if the brakes are given a hard time (ie- heating the discs up in a very short time, and then allowing them to cool down too quickly - perhaps on a racetrack or driving fast on a scenic backroad, or even in traffic!)

The replacement discs are designed with this kind of treatment in mind, and although they're not indestructable, they are much more tolerant. That's why ambulances and police use them.

Macquered's combination of EBC pads and EBC discs on the front stop the car a lot better than with the standard pads, and they feel incredible. I'd go as far to say it stops better than my GTi-6 - I'm using the same pads as him, have bigger discs and calipers, yet his car stops better. I think it's the slots deglazing the pads.

<small>[ 18 August 2002, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: ntrx ]</small>

Ray Bell:
    And the stud pattern?
    4 x 140
    standard pug 14/15" wheels
    504 discs and calipers i find are better than the 404 items
    you have to remember that the 504 is a much heavier car than the 404 and they stop very well
    for good brakes on early cars take a 504 for a drive with 604 brakes fitted
    pity you never took my V6 504 for a drive Ray that car would have opened your eyes to how a 504 can stop
    all the 504's i've had have had better stopping power than any disc brake 404 i ever owned
    i find 404's nose dive too much in standard form where as a standard 504 doesn't nose dive as much
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

What I meant with the stud pattern was that you'd want the front to match the back.

504L rear axles aren't exactly available in big numbers in Australia, and they don't fit 403s and 203s...

Don't know what you mean about nose-diving, but that's not a product of the brakes anyway.

And solid calipers like those on the 404 can't possibly be inferior to floating head calipers.

you can always re-drill them to the 3 stud pattern
    or make up a new adapter plate for the 3 stud wheels.
    but i must say one of the best non abs cars i have ever had for brakes was my V6 504 with 604 brakes on the front with a modified booster
    twin sway bars on the front pretty much killed all but a a little of the nose diving which most 504/05/and 604's had
    i'm not a fan of rolling, nose diving motoring
    i have driven too many pugs with these attributes and generally cure cars that i have had from doing these things and found pugs to be much more enjoyable
    did you ever see the 404 ute that ian robinson was driving for a while ?
    it had 504 discs with 4 stud wheels all round and out stopped a standard 404 ute
    also went well also with i nicely worked 1800 under the bonnet
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

<a href="http://www.bluep.com/~eai/" target="_blank">http://www.bluep.com/~eai/</a>

may help

pugrambo:
    you can always re-drill them to the 3 stud pattern
    It won't fit on the hub...

or make up a new adapter plate for the 3 stud wheels.
    Offset man, offset...

but i must say one of the best non abs cars i have ever had for brakes was my V6 504 with 604 brakes on the front with a modified booster
    twin sway bars on the front pretty much killed all but a a little of the nose diving which most 504/05/and 604's had
    i'm not a fan of rolling, nose diving motoring
    i have driven too many pugs with these attributes and generally cure cars that i have had from doing these things and found pugs to be much more enjoyable
    did you ever see the 404 ute that ian robinson was driving for a while ?
    it had 504 discs with 4 stud wheels all round and out stopped a standard 404 ute
    also went well also with i nicely worked 1800 under the bonnet
    No, never saw that... but I never said 404s couldn't have 4-stud rear axles... they can.

Sway bars cannot affect nose diving.

Thread Information