504 dodgy fuel gauge
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 dodgy fuel gauge

Does anyone have a suggestion why a '78 504 fuel gauge is occassionally dropping out? It's konked out one minute and then fires back into existance monentarily before going back to sleep again.

Sparkey

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey
    Does anyone have a suggestion why a '78 504 fuel gauge is occassionally dropping out? It's konked out one minute and then fires back into existance monentarily before going back to sleep again.

Sparkey

bad connection and you will find it will most probably be on the dash binacle itself

i had the one in the 604 do the same thing not so long ago so i placed a new wire in to bypass the circuit board and all is now good
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

If it happens at the same place on the gauge every time it's probably the sender unit in the tank.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Quote Originally Posted by sfrawley
    If it happens at the same place on the gauge every time it's probably the sender unit in the tank.
    Both my 505s do that as well.
    They use about 1/4 of a tank then the needles jump around a bit for a day or two then register nearly zero for the rest of the fuel load. They still, however register the low level warning light.
    I keep meaning to have a look at the senders but haven't got round to it yet.

Interestingly one car has been doing it for about 2 years longer than the other car and guess what - one is an '86 model and the other '88.
    So it would seem that it may be a standard replacement item at about 300k miles!

all those symptoms are exactly what i had

what i did to test was to run a wire from the tank sender to the guage for a few days to bypass everything to make sure it wasn't the sender then placed the wire in the dash to fix everything up

it was only a short bit to bridge on the dash that couldn't be seen as broken but as i needed to know that the sender was ok i just bypassed everything to test it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

also sometimes what may happen, and happend to me....

the sender in the tank has a little curved copper tab that slides up and down a very thin wire copper coil, remember the old figure 8 race car sets when you were a kid, with the hand held plunger speed control that you operated with your thumb????? exactly like that worked....

anyways, the little copper tab eventually wears out and so leaves a sharp edge rubing on the very fine coil, rather then a nice smooth curved face, and a quick fix is to pull apart the sender and bend the tab around a bit more so the worn section cant catch on the copper coil....sounds complicated but it'll all make sence once you pull the sender apart and see with your own eyes.

to pull the sender apart, grab a small blade screwdriver and gently pry back the little steel tabs that hold the plastic cover on.

Default Dodgy gauge comments

Thanks for all those suggestions. Now that I've stopped racing the 'stupid' bicycle for a little while, will slip the overalls on and get down 'n dirty.

Sparkey

[QUOTE=rprince3op2]Both my 505s do that as well.
    They use about 1/4 of a tank then the needles jump around a bit for a day or two then register nearly zero for the rest of the fuel load. They still, however register the low level warning light.
    I keep meaning to have a look at the senders but haven't got round to it yet.

Interestingly one car has been doing it for about 2 years longer than the other car and guess

what - one is an '86 model and the other '88.
    So it would seem that it may be a standard replacement item at about 300k miles!
    [/QUO

my 205 gti does the same thing.what puzzles me is that when you fill the tank up it works fine.when it gets down to about 1.3 tank,it jumps from empty to fuel level and back then is fine for a while.
    what gives????-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by 123abc
    also sometimes what may happen, and happend to me....

the sender in the tank has a little curved copper tab that slides up and down a very thin wire copper coil, remember the old figure 8 race car sets when you were a kid, with the hand held plunger speed control that you operated with your thumb????? exactly like that worked....

anyways, the little copper tab eventually wears out and so leaves a sharp edge rubing on the very fine coil, rather then a nice smooth curved face, and a quick fix is to pull apart the sender and bend the tab around a bit more so the worn section cant catch on the copper coil....sounds complicated but it'll all make sence once you pull the sender apart and see with your own eyes.

to pull the sender apart, grab a small blade screwdriver and gently pry back the little steel tabs that hold the plastic cover on.

I pulled the sender out of my '86 505 Estate thinking I would 'bend the tab around a bit more' but my sender is a long aluminium tube which reaches to the bottom of the tank. It then started to rain so I didn't get much further and put it all back!
    There's a filter on the bottom which comes off easily but then there's a plastic plug which may not come out.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of sender unit?

Quote Originally Posted by rprince3op2
    I pulled the sender out of my '86 505 Estate thinking I would 'bend the tab around a bit more' but my sender is a long aluminium tube which reaches to the bottom of the tank. It then started to rain so I didn't get much further and put it all back!
    There's a filter on the bottom which comes off easily but then there's a plastic plug which may not come out.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of sender unit?

sounds like the same as a 604 type

yes you can pull them apart
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    sounds like the same as a 604 type

yes you can pull them apart
    More info please - like how to pull them apart - do i remove the circlip from the bottom and then the large plastic bottom plug will fall out and what will I find inside?
    Is it like two wires stretched form top to bottom and a vertical slider which bridges the wires or what?
    Ta

Thread Information