1983 505 STi
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 1983 505 STi

Default 1983 505 STi

Hey all hows it goin,

im currently learning to drive in an '83 505 STi with 5 spd manual, and i am seriously considering purchasing it off the owner. The owner is asking $2500 for it, although he would probably go down a little on that for a friend . Its overall condition is quite good, the odometer reads approx. 300,000kms, apparently the engine has been reconditioned at some point in its life, and the gearbox is still quiet despite its age (i hear this is a good thing).

Cosmetically, the bonnet is only just beginning to show signs of minor rust spots, otherwise the paintwork is still in very good condition on the whole. The plastic lining the space between the floor and the front doors, covering numerous electrical cables, is broken in a few places but still in place.

Apart from this everything except for the air con is working, and the clutch is a little heavier and slightly stickier than it once was, despite a recent servicing of both parts. The sound system is also a bit dodgy, some fool clipped the wiring to the front right speaker and it seems the only way to rewire it is to start fresh....

Advertisement

Just any advice, looking at other posts it seems that the asking price for it is pretty good, especially considering its condition. Im just a little concerned about the Bosch electronic injection, after so many years of service perhaps it mite not keep up this reliable service for much longer? If it is im guessing it wouldnt be a cheap to replace part...
    1984 Peugeot 505 SR

Harlanj, howdy,

not much to say about problems with fuel injection in a car of this mileage,
    just coming to grips with the kuegellfisher mechanical injection myself,

but did want to say that depending on the time of engine rebuild and the quality of maintainance the car gets from now on it should carry you around for a couple of hundred thousand k's, presenting you with only sufficient problems as a to allow you to get to understand the car fully and to learn peugeot idiosyncracies.

Please to tell us more of you car (proposed) and your good self.

ed ge

nJm

Indeed my 505 was really well looked after - almost too well. When I bought it a few years ago it still had the original clutch and shock absorbers (at 255,000km). Once it was in the hands of a P Plater (me) those original components didn't last long. That said everything else mechanical has been pretty solid. All the normal old car stuff had to be done (eroding rubber hoses, brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder) etc. At the moment my biggest issue with my 505 is that the interior is rattling heaps more than it used to and the wiper stalk doesn't always work (easy enough to replace).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

hey ed ge

When i compare the 505 in question to others that i often see on sydneys streets, it sure turns up lookin pretty good. All of its cosmetic faults are fairly small and minor, when its just been washed you wouldnt call it perfect but it sure looks respectable, especially when its parked right near a very recent model Suzuki Baleno hatch (note very much cheap and cheerful, im sure your already aware)

The owner (my long-time best mates dad) holds an extensive if not complete history of the car, im yet to consult him on all the details, but during the time he has owned it (since about '96 i think) its been in regular service and consequently regularly maintained. Repairs and maintanence have been primarily taken care of by Peter Portelli, owner of the reputable Peugeot garage Portapug. Ive grown up with this Pug for much of the years of my life that i actually remember, it really does hold a lot of good memories, and seeing it go away isnt something i want to have happen.

The owner himself has been a long term fan of french cars, particulary Peugeots, and as a result is incredibly picky about things like quality and handling, and after probably almost 2 years has finally settled on a new car, hence my interest to buy his STi. Even now he still compares some things to the Holden Astra he bought, especially the seats and the steering .

Now, about me, well im 17 in a couple of weeks, and grown up all my life without my family having a car. I started learning to drive in August last year, in the same 505, and since then have mainly stuck to it for drivng, never whimping out to the auto to tackle Sydney's traffic, as many of my friends do. As i become increasingly accustomed to the 505 i often compare it to other much newer vehicles, and it still suprises me as to how so many people put up with cars that have such woeful suspension and handling.....

I've always been very mechanically inclined, I worked at a scooter garage working on vintage Vepsa motorscooters for almost a year, an interesting experience indeed but ive almost lost complete interest in them now. Now working at somwhere like Portapug, thatd be tops. Im realising now that i hold a strong interest in things that arent run of the mill, things that stand out in some way (eg. Peugeots or the old scool Vespas). I find it hard to go and buy something that says something about you, thats exactly the same as what everyone else has (eg. apple ipods).

Im also very much in to sound reproduction and music, im thinking that im probably headed in the direction of taking a career somewhere in sound. Technology is another point of interest, especially when it can be integrated with sound editing and reproduction, like how nowdays my computer is very closely integrated with my sound equipment.

Anyways, enough about me. How about you?
    Last edited by harlanj; 9th June 2005 at 06:33 PM.
    1984 Peugeot 505 SR

well i like long walks in the sand.. summer breeze's drinks with little umbrella's in it.
    Bah!!!

Dont let the KM on the pug scare you.. There are countless members here on this forum whos veery engine like the one in question has turned over 1/2 million clicks without the wallat having to be opened very heavilly at all

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

About me, long time 403 sedan & 504 wagon driver, older than you x 3, disgruntled taxi driver in Adelaide, current 504 tI, almost free!

Dissident.

Previous spelling, social work, & greenie nazi on this network, but could careless now.

Seeking mid to late 30's alt. female who doesn't want anymore children.

Soft heart, hard head.

Usual male ego problems.

1 13 yo daughter/ light of my life/ strongest reason for living.

Own property 200k's north of adelaide/ 2nd strongest reason for living.
    Don't live there, hence gruntle level. (5 pug wrecks, 1 restored 403, 1 fintailed Merc & a Chamberland 9G tractor)

Amateur humourist.

cheers

ed ge

'Chamberlain' if you don't mind!

Errr... got room for a few of my cars there?

By the way, just in case we're supposed to stay on topic, I'd say go for this car, stick with it for several years and fix things as they come up. It'll cost you a lot less than many other routes you could take.

Icon7

harlanj,

I'd say go for it. As long as there's nothing that's obvious and major. If you've got a complete service history and know the owner you're not buying blind. I don't know much about the K-Jetronic fuel injection or the STi motors except that you can't see much of the road down either side of the engine and that they're reliable if looked after. Parts are easy to get and fairly cheap and they're a well designed and engineered car. If you need to sort a problem out just post here on AF, there are a lot of very knowlegeable people here. Good luck.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

hey all,

As a good friend, the owner has turned me away from buying the STi, highlighting a few of the costs that can and have been involved with it over the years. He noted especially that it is very hard to work on yourself unless you are a very experienced mechanic, and the costs to hav everything done by someone else is something i simply couldnt keep up with.

Its interesting to note that it is in fact not an STi, but a GTi, because it has the L-Jetronic electronic injection system. It looks as if the boot may have been replaced as a result of a rear-end collision, and consequently now sports STi badging on the rear.

Anyways, if i had plenty of income flowing in id go for it, but i think i should go for a carby 505 or 504 that would certainly be less daunting under the bonnet and much easier to work on.

Thanks for all your advice
    1984 Peugeot 505 SR

While I agree that injection is a daunting prospect, carbies can be joyless things as well... and you say that the engine has been rebuilt...

I see little difference in it all apart from the complication, the main consideration would be what shape the body is in.

Default 505

Quote Originally Posted by harlanj
    hey all,

As a good friend, the owner has turned me away from buying the STi, highlighting a few of the costs that can and have been involved with it over the years. He noted especially that it is very hard to work on yourself unless you are a very experienced mechanic, and the costs to hav everything done by someone else is something i simply couldnt keep up with.

Its interesting to note that it is in fact not an STi, but a GTi, because it has the L-Jetronic electronic injection system. It looks as if the boot may have been replaced as a result of a rear-end collision, and consequently now sports STi badging on the rear.

Anyways, if i had plenty of income flowing in id go for it, but i think i should go for a carby 505 or 504 that would certainly be less daunting under the bonnet and much easier to work on.

Thanks for all your advice

That is a load of crap.
    i have over 10 505'S and 5 or so are STI,GTI's and i love them.
    if you have a good network of people like on this site you should have no problem in fixing anything on the car at a cheap price. There is one thing that us pug owners do and that is stick together and help where we can. if you want i will give you a Peugeot factory 505 manual. Go and buy the car and have the time of your life in it

Garry

Thread Information