Wanted: 505 power steering rack for STI
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Wanted: 505 power steering rack for STI

Hello,

I just wondered whether anyone had a 505 power steering rack for an STI for sale. I want one in good condition that doesn't leak

Advertisement

Anyone who could help me with this impossible request would be greatly appreciated.

Most s/h ones would be an unknown quantity.
    I remember Lewin at Peugeotspares, 33556624 had them last year when I was looking. Sorry I can't remember a price.

EDIT:...it's the Power steering ram I am talking about.
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 7th June 2005 at 08:43 PM.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

can i just add that the racks don't leak unless it's the valve itself on the rack that the column connects to

the other part of the power steering is separate from the rack and it is a cylinder that assists in steering the car

the racks in these cars are a simple rack and pinion system with external power assist

i hope this helps people in the future and it may also save some people time and money in the future when these rip off merchants called mechanics tell you that you need a new rack when all you may need are some new seals or a new cylinder

the racks can wear out but these are a pure mechanical part, no hydraulics in them at all
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    can i just add that the racks don't leak unless it's the valve itself on the rack that the column connects to

the other part of the power steering is separate from the rack and it is a cylinder that assists in steering the car

the racks in these cars are a simple rack and pinion system with external power assist

i hope this helps people in the future and it may also save some people time and money in the future when these rip off merchants called mechanics tell you that you need a new rack when all you may need are some new seals or a new cylinder

the racks can wear out but these are a pure mechanical part, no hydraulics in them at all
    The rack has worn out I think because the one of the boots on one side is broken and I think that the whole rack should be replaced. The seal kit is located on the rack itself and unless you know how to fix it then you are no better off.
    Is it hard to change them yourself?

Thread Information