Peugeot 307SW - Views/Opinions Wanted
  • Register
  • Help

Peugeot 307SW - Views/Opinions Wanted

We need a new station wagon for the business/family. My eye is on the Mazda 6 or the new Subaru Liberty but my father is interested in the 307SW (he saw an evaluation model at a petrol station). Does anyone here have any experience or opinions on the 307SW. How does it compare with the standard 307 and the above mentioned station wagons?

Advertisement
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

1000+ Posts
    Cal knows allllll about them. Hopefully he'll see this topic soon.

You coming tomorrow Bill? Bring whatever car you can!

Derek

Give him till midday Monday...he should be back from camping by then and he doesn't waste precious weekend drinking time on A/F thats for sure.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Bump

Cal
    Almost Brad.....Tuesday :p

I leased a 307 SW in Europe for 4 weeks during July and August, covering some 9500kms. The one we had was a turbo diesel.

We were generally quite impressed with the vehicle. It is a much bigger car than a 307 hatch. Perfect for our purposes. We could fold all of the rear seats down and there was more than ample room for all of our luggage. If you completely remove them, there is enough room in the back for two 6ft people to sleep.

Not being used to driving a brand new car every day, one of the first things that impressed me, was the lack of wind noise. It wasn't until over 160km\h wind noise became an issue at all. The second thing to impress, was fuel economy. We averaged around 6L per 100kms. We were driving it very quickly some of the time. On that note, I could not get it to run any quicker than 190km\h. I did however feel like it would do that speed all day (on a flat surface). Not that this is an issue in the sunburnt country.

It's handling was very safe, with the usual safety understeer dialled in. It wasn't until we were at the Nurburgring, that I had the chance to truely throw the thing at a corner. Let's face it, a 307 SW is not ment to be driven in this manner and most owners never would. However, it was quite impressive in all manner of corners. It would four wheel drift when going fast enough, but never really oversteer, even when I lifted suddenly (my Mi16 goes very sideways when I do that). I'm talking about wringing it's neck here. It was a little clumsy in very tight corners, but this is to be expected of such a big car. The steering lacks the feel and feedback of more performance orintated Pugs, but was light and easy to park.

It is a bit gutless, but it was a diesel. It's gearing was very very high, but I am unsure of whether the Australian ratios will be the same or shorter.

All of the interior functions were close to hand and made sense. The A\C was freezing. Ours also had the glass roof. I would probably not choose this option on an Australian car as the heat it generated was amazing. Loads of storage space in the door pockets, under the seats, in the glovebox. Good stereo with CD player. The workings of the interiors lights remain a mystery. It seems to have idiot proof system that turns them off after a certain period of time, while the doors remain open. Did the same thing with the stereo. Bad feature for camping!

In all, a car the size of a people mover, without the feeling of being a small truck. Not my first choice for a vehicle, but I am single, without kids. If I had 5 children, one would be considered for sure. It's standard of finish is much higher than Peugeots of the past. Panel fit, paint work and interior plastics are all of high quality. It gives you the impression it would last forever. I was impressed.

Hope that helps a little. If you have any specific question, please ask.

Cheers,

Cal.

<small>[ 16 September 2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Cal ]</small>
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Cal:
    If I had 5 children, one would be considered for sure.
    Just give the Mrs a bit more time in your ear and there will be one wedding you won't be able to photograph yourself...but you can snap the 5 closely followed kids all you want. :p
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Cal
    Brad:
    Cal:
    If I had 5 children, one would be considered for sure.
    Just give the Mrs a bit more time in your ear and there will be one wedding you won't be able to photograph yourself...but you can snap the 5 closely followed kids all you want. :p
    moon
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

It's funny how the Peugeot dealers down here are saying they won't be releasing the 307SW, yet I saw a silver one in North Sydney just yesterday.

I've just completed a 3000km round trip in our 307 and found it to be quite a competant highway vehicle, although it seemed very susceptable to cross-winds.

The stereo is terrible though, Peugeot really should do something about this ASAP.

Fuel efficiency was awesome though, at around 6.2 litres per 100 km. It was 6.1 until I hit peak hour traffic back in Sydney.

Got back in the 306 this morning and cursed the heavy clutch and crook driving position =) It still owns the 307 in terms of driving enjoyment though.

Oooh, Brenno said a nice thing about the 307

Some Pug dealers don't know what a 307 SW is. When you call it the 307 Touring they understand.

Pricing's released btw.

307 Touring HDi - $31,690 (manual only)
    307 Touring XSE - $33,490

It's only a small jump in price over the hatch.

120 demos around after the World Cup, could be cheap!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC
    The 206SW isn't coming but the 307SW certainly is (numbers yet to be confirmed). I saw one last week when I was overseas.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Pug307:
    Oooh, Brenno said a nice thing about the 307

307 Touring HDi - $31,690 (manual only)
    307 Touring XSE - $33,490
    Bahaha. My previous comments still stand. It's a great car overall, but dissapointing coming from the 306.

Those prices are positively stunning. Go Peugeot!

Now.....bring out the other diesels!

Cal
    Bill never came back to read his own thread.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Well, went to bug my local Pug dealer today.

and low and behold a HDi and a XSE 307 "touring" was there........ got berated for calling it a wagon........ "it's not a wagon, its a touring" roll_lau

Got myself one of the first test drives (at least in newcastle) next week as the cars haven't had their Purchase insepction etc so missing plastic bits inside etc.

NO ONE informed me they had plastic FQP!!!! I lent on it next thing I know it bloody bent!!!

Plus no word on GTi180's gone very quite..... But the dealer did know something of our secret society of knowledge because apparently Pug owners know before dealers about new arrivals!!!

Jono wink

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Cal:
    Bill never came back to read his own thread.

Cal.
    Hi Cal,

Thanks for that. Actually, I have read this thread but since there was nothing for me to add or ask I didn't post a response. But thanks anyway for your comments.

We'll be waiting for the motorshow to see the 307SW and the new Subaru Liberty (can I mention that here wink ).

Regards,
    Bill.

P.S Do you have any pictures of your Nurburgring trip?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    to be honest if i had a choice between a liberty and a 307 i'd take the liberty

they area very nice wagon and i would say more practical than the 307 SW

but if the choice was between a liberty and 406 wagon i'd take the 406
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

nJm
    I've always liked them too. Steering too light for me, but nice gearboxes and torquey flat 4 engine. Reasonably practical, and they NEVER depreciate! I've seen 1999 Liberty RX wagons still selling for $32k!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

1000+ Posts
    nJm:
    I've always liked them too. Steering too light for me, but nice gearboxes and torquey flat 4 engine. Reasonably practical, and they NEVER depreciate! I've seen 1999 Liberty RX wagons still selling for $32k!
    Tell me about it. Looked at them 2nd hand for a kid-mobile and they're too pricey for me!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information