205 si > rallye
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 si > rallye

al

Default 205 si > rallye

My sister is starting to make noises about getting rid of her si and getting something newer, and i wouldn't mind having it for cheap transport. As it is already registered for a year, and we wouldn't bother putting it into my name it would be basically free.

I came across a few pics of uk rallye's on the 205gtidrivers forum and i reckon they look pretty good...but what suspention parts are different from the gti's?

If i take over this car i would probably make some minor changes to its appearance, but also stiffen it up a bit as at present it rolls around a fair bit. Also, how difficult is it to get the gap between the wheel and front arch smaller?

Otherwise, what kind of fuel economy is possible with them? Apparently my sister doesn't think about this kind of thing...

I've attached a pic as well. I hope the owner doesn't mind, but i think it looks unreal.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 si > rallye-205-rallae-smaller.jpg  
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

the si runs a different suspension package from the gti, chief.

and youll find the si set-up to be softer, which isnt neccessarily a bad thing.

graham wallis would know a little more about this.

and yah to decrease the gap bw the arch and wheel? just drop the front on its nuts... simple as that

but hey, an si is no gti

current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

al

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    the si runs a different suspension package from the gti, chief.

and youll find the si set-up to be softer, which isnt neccessarily a bad thing.

graham wallis would know a little more about this.

and yah to decrease the gap bw the arch and wheel? just drop the front on its nuts... simple as that

but hey, an si is no gti

Me knows that it aint no gti, but for when i want a car with balls i've got an Mi16. The main advantage of the si is the fuel economy and reliability - we've had this car for a few years and it's only done 115000kms...

The tradeoff is the fact it looks like a chicks car... but i'm confident enough in my masculinity to deal with that.

The different suspention doesn't worry me that much either as it works well, but i'm curious about what can be done to stiffen it up a little...
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

I'vs got a 92 Si also, Look the ride in my little car is excellent. A stiffer set up in Vic might be ok, but i know that Sydney and NSW roads,for that matter, suck. They are so lumpy, massive cracks and pot holes every where.
    Pugjet is right about the comparrison between an Si and GTi, but a cheap car that you know a bit of history on might be a goer.
    Pretty good on fuel.

If you get your sisters Si as opposed to a GTi, you are gonna have more money to play with.

Do a google search for 205 rallye. There are some shmick cars out there.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by burkey
    I'vs got a 92 Si also, Look the ride in my little car is excellent. A stiffer set up in Vic might be ok, but i know that Sydney and NSW roads,for that matter, suck. They are so lumpy, massive cracks and pot holes every where.
    Pugjet is right about the comparrison between an Si and GTi, but a cheap car that you know a bit of history on might be a goer.
    Pretty good on fuel.

If you get your sisters Si as opposed to a GTi, you are gonna have more money to play with.

Do a google search for 205 rallye. There are some shmick cars out there.
    What has the Rallye, none were sold here, got to do with the Si?
    The French Rallye was a fantastic machine: 1300 cc, Twin sidedraft Webers, 75kw at 7000 RPM and 720 Kg. The English Rallye was just a dressed up 1400. Both these had TU engines. The Si is closest to the automatic with its XU engine and lumpy bonnet.
    Just put 14 inch wheels on the Si and leave it at that.
    The economy is fantastic, almost 700km on a tank.
    Graham

al

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    What has the Rallye, none were sold here, got to do with the Si?
    The French Rallye was a fantastic machine: 1300 cc, Twin sidedraft Webers, 75kw at 7000 RPM and 720 Kg. The English Rallye was just a dressed up 1400. Both these had TU engines. The Si is closest to the automatic with its XU engine and lumpy bonnet.
    Just put 14 inch wheels on the Si and leave it at that.
    The economy is fantastic, almost 700km on a tank.
    Graham
    Probably aesthetic similarities more than anything else...although didn't the uk ones share their suspention with the lower spec ones? (as you said - dressed up 1400...that was probably the basis for my connection)

How big is the tank? The gauge in our one is stuffed and the car generally takes about 25 litres for 330kms...
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Probably aesthetic similarities more than anything else...although didn't the uk ones share their suspention with the lower spec ones? (as you said - dressed up 1400...that was probably the basis for my connection)

How big is the tank? The gauge in our one is stuffed and the car generally takes about 25 litres for 330kms...
    50 litre tank.
    The French Rallye had the wheel arch flares but without the horrible GTi side mouldings, the ideal combination.
    The French Rallye also had the GTi front end and vented brakes.
    The Si has the same suspension layout as the lower spec cars but I think higher rate springs and it has an anti roll bar on the rear which I don't think was on the low spec models. The anti roll bar must be a fair bit smaller as the inside rear wheel doesn't come off the ground driving into my driveway.
    Graham

Default si fule consimption

Al,

I did 150000 Km in my 93 Si and averaged around 7.4 L/100 Km overall - This is country driiving mostly at 100 Km/H.

As for stiffening up the suspension - Well that sounds rather like the guys that buy a GTi6 and ask what they can do to get more performance out of it...
    and rather like one of the traditional hot-up myths that stiffer suspension = better handling. Sure the SI does not have the stiffer and more rigid suspension of the GTi but as a package it works well. French cars have a history of prodigious cornering without the hard rding suspensoin of, for example the british sports cars, lots of roll but very compliant suspenson to keep all the wheels on the road and gripping. Now if you want to get into high performance handling then you'd be better off starting off with a GTi... Then, of course, you modify at your peril. Car suspensions are complex combinations of springs, dampers, sway bars and chassis which the manufacturers, and especially Peugeot, go to a lot of trouble to tune to get a partucular balance. Change any one of the main components and you are likely to upset that balance and the result may not be as good all round.

But as a daily driver on country roads I agree with Burkey that the compliance works well on all sorts of roads. MIne still had the original dampers at 235000 Km and still worked well. Replaced the rubber dampers at the top of the struts and it still went round corners at the legal limit like it was on rails...

Cheers

Trevor
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by trevh
    Al,

I did 150000 Km in my 93 Si and averaged around 7.4 L/100 Km overall - This is country driiving mostly at 100 Km/H.

As for stiffening up the suspension - Well that sounds rather like the guys that buy a GTi6 and ask what they can do to get more performance out of it...
    and rather like one of the traditional hot-up myths that stiffer suspension = better handling. Sure the SI does not have the stiffer and more rigid suspension of the GTi but as a package it works well. French cars have a history of prodigious cornering without the hard rding suspensoin of, for example the british sports cars, lots of roll but very compliant suspenson to keep all the wheels on the road and gripping. Now if you want to get into high performance handling then you'd be better off starting off with a GTi... Then, of course, you modify at your peril. Car suspensions are complex combinations of springs, dampers, sway bars and chassis which the manufacturers, and especially Peugeot, go to a lot of trouble to tune to get a partucular balance. Change any one of the main components and you are likely to upset that balance and the result may not be as good all round.

But as a daily driver on country roads I agree with Burkey that the compliance works well on all sorts of roads. MIne still had the original dampers at 235000 Km and still worked well. Replaced the rubber dampers at the top of the struts and it still went round corners at the legal limit like it was on rails...

Cheers

Trevor

I just got news that my Si was second outright at the Morwell Khanacross yesterday. This was against fully prepared rally cars such as V8 Commodore, 260z etc. so the Si is no slouch especially given that I was having a problem with the high second gear and was running well out of the power band coming out of tight corners.
    The car also went well on the hillclimb, only a second or so behind Odd Fire's V6 504 and the V8 Commodores. Once again, lower gear ratios would have improved things a bit, the power is good once you get the revs up.
    Handling wise I could chuck it into the corners with great control, I certainly couldn't say that about my GTi at present.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

The French Rallye was a fantastic machine: 1300 cc, Twin sidedraft Webers, 75kw at 7000 RPM and 720 Kg. The English Rallye was just a dressed up 1400.
    True but a few real 205 Rallyes got privately imported to the UK so on an enthusiast UK website they may well be talking about one of those.
    unfrogged (for now)

al

I just got news that my Si was second outright at the Morwell Khanacross yesterday. This was against fully prepared rally cars such as V8 Commodore, 260z etc. so the Si is no slouch especially given that I was having a problem with the high second gear and was running well out of the power band coming out of tight corners.
    The car also went well on the hillclimb, only a second or so behind Odd Fire's V6 504 and the V8 Commodores. Once again, lower gear ratios would have improved things a bit, the power is good once you get the revs up.
    Handling wise I could chuck it into the corners with great control, I certainly couldn't say that about my GTi at present.
    Graham
    I would imagine driver ability would come into things a bit... particularly against the type that favour V8 brutes. That is impressive though...
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Thread Information