205 Gti K light?
  • Register
  • Help
    mot
    Tadpole

Default 205 Gti K light?

Recently took a 93 gti for a test drive. It was in vgc, low klms and looked very nice

The only thing I could fault with it was the check engine light(looks like a K inside the engine and sits on the top right of the speedo - I think) would come on at idle, give it a couple of revs and it would go away. The STOP light didnt come on just the K light.

Could this be a sensor problem or something else. I know the car had been sitting for a while and was only started once a week just to keep the battery charged etc (its a deceased estate car). Could this have something to do with it?

Advertisement

Look foward to the replys
    mot

jgp

Quote Originally Posted by mot
    Recently took a 93 gti for a test drive. It was in vgc, low klms and looked very nice

The only thing I could fault with it was the check engine light(looks like a K inside the engine and sits on the top right of the speedo - I think) would come on at idle, give it a couple of revs and it would go away. The STOP light didnt come on just the K light.

Could this be a sensor problem or something else. I know the car had been sitting for a while and was only started once a week just to keep the battery charged etc (its a deceased estate car). Could this have something to do with it?

Look foward to the replys
    mot
    if its of any help, my mi16 had that light come on one day when i picked it up from workshop. mechanic re-aligned some contact points inside the plug in socket located at inlet manifold-airbox. alls good, has not come back on since, it also idled rough with the k light on.
    90 405 MI16
    96 406 ST

Every time that light comes on, a fault code is recorded in the ECU. It's relatively easy to extract the codes and determine the fault. It can't be very serious if it goes away. More than likely an idle mixture problem. It may need a new O2 sensor, or have an air leak.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I took one of these for test drive yesterday. Was a '94 and it did the same thing. The owner told me it was the cat light and it was to tell you that the cat was heating up so dont park over any long grass. That didnt seem right to me

al

I've had the check engine warning light coming on in my mi16 occasionally. When i had the codes read a few weeks back they said the knock sensor was at fault, and attributed it to dodgy fuel.
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by nomad
    I took one of these for test drive yesterday. Was a '94 and it did the same thing. The owner told me it was the cat light and it was to tell you that the cat was heating up so dont park over any long grass. That didnt seem right to me
    Thats so stupid that its a little bit funny.

As Peter T said extract the codes, and find what fault it is, my s16 used to do it, landed been the variable intake solenoid.

All the light mean is that the ecu has logged a fault code untill you extract the code you wont know.

Cheers

Thread Information