407 vs japanese competitors
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 407 vs japanese competitors

Just wanted to get some thoughts from anyone who,s compared the 407 with the Honda Euro. My parents are looking in this class at the moment and being the pug loyalist I,m pushing for the 407. However as a realist I,m finding it hard to justify the extra 7k for the 2.2 ste petrol 4spd tip auto version of the 407. Especially when its missing the sunroof, zenon lights ,5spd tip auto ,0.2 ltrs of engine capacity(torque still similar however) and 2 speakers? The 407 has reverse sensors,auto wipers,folding mirrors, looks superior in my opinion and drives well (at least in v6 format). Drove the 4sp tip auto 2.0 ltr diesel today and wasn,t that impressed, ride was poor and engine still felt pretty "diesel" to me. Having said that I have no diesel experience to compare it too and I,m currently driving a 180, but I somehow expected a bit more. Still to drive the 2.2 petrol 4 sp tip auto and V6 again.The V6 at 60k drive away is well specked but 15k more than the Euro essentially for 0.6 ltrs of engine capacity and one extra gear. Would like to hear some thoughts on the dollars equation especially in favor of the 407 as this is the emotional favourite, but is it slightly overpriced in the Australian market as I,ve not seen that many on the road.

Advertisement

My mate and his wife were having a similar comparison few months back.
    They decided on the Euro luxury for the extra features, although the looks of the 407 never left their minds after they saw it in flesh.
    He reckoned that the 407 definetly looked great in their new house' garage, but she had the final say .

In Australia: ‘05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: ‘09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Go the Euro.... Can't be beaten for the price.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pastpugdriver
    Go the Euro.... Can't be beaten for the price.

own a french car at all do you ?

anything positive or do you want to share any knowledge that may help others with the running of their french cars ?

you may or may not have noticed but this forum is called aussiefrogs and as such is a forum devoted to french car owners/fanciers in australia
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

if i was looking into that class i would go a 407 hands down

do your parents even need the v6? if performance is in their list of priorities then they should be looking at the v6, if not then the 4cyl still has the euro beat.

it would certainly ride better and look more stunning then anything honda, and the features are also a bonus, those parking sensors are awesome

from what ive heard these accords are rather great, but... peugeot! haha

are there any other cars they are looking at or is it exclusively these two?
    '92 405 mi16

I would go for the 407....looks great and goes very well from all accounts. My service chaps reckons that reliability is excellent and main glitches are mainly software which can be upgraded.
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

My parents got the Accord Euro recently and it's very nice... I prefer the look of the 407 but it's hard to go past the Accord Euro when you take into cosideration the price. You need a bit more money to get the V6 407. I think both cars are great so it's hard to go wrong with these 2 choices.
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Was scouring the net last night for 407 reviews and they were certainly mixed. Most of the reviews off the cars guide where good but the 7 day tests on car point virtually said the opposite. They stated the V6 was too slow off the mark, either too soft and floaty in auto suspension mode or too hard in sport had poor fuel economy and was uninvolving to drive. Essentially the form didn,t match the function in their books. The 2.0 diesel was canned for its poor ride and somewhat less than exhilerating performance which I found to be true when I drove it yesterday. Is Peugeot loosing sight of some of its core values such as driver involvement, road feel and supple ride with this vehicle? Having said though, my experience in the V6 from several months ago was good, as were most of the UK reviews when the car was launched last year. I recall one claiming it set a new benchmark for handling in the class so its far from all doom and gloom. Just a tad hard to decipher, it was exactly the same when I bought my gti 180, many contradictory reports. Any thoughts from 407 owners on the above criticisms?

Quote Originally Posted by ajgti180
    The 407 has reverse sensors,auto wipers,folding mirrors, looks superior in my opinion and drives well (at least in v6 format). Drove the 4sp tip auto 2.0 ltr diesel today and wasn,t that impressed, ride was poor and engine still felt pretty "diesel" to me. Having said that I have no diesel experience to compare it too and I,m currently driving a 180, but I somehow expected a bit more. Still to drive the 2.2 petrol 4 sp tip auto and V6 again.The V6 at 60k drive away is well specked but 15k more than the Euro essentially for 0.6 ltrs of engine capacity and one extra gear.
    Being driven in a V6 variant of the 407 it still doesnt have the same pull as the 180. I will say that the 407 v6 is smooth in its pull and comfortable in its ride. You cant hear much from the outside once the windows are wound up and its audio setup once configured properly gives sweet sound. The seat warmers work effectively and the dual climate control allows you to set different tempretaures for different compartments of the car. The blue light given from the zenon lamps work great very handy for those misty pre sun rise morning drives.

Personally the 407 for me is to big, its the size of a commodore. But that isnt to the detrement of the car, i guess its suited to a particular market.
    04' GTi 180

1000+ Posts

Journalists have always enjoyed expressing harsh criticism towards French cars. This, I believe, has often led to mixed reviews. Because the cars are usually quite good.

A Peugeot will have superior ride and handling. A Peugeot with adjustable suspension, as in the 407, 607 etc, is just great.

Too soft, too hard, too this, too that.

As for features and gimmicks I'm sure most will agree you should buy the Honda. As for reliability, the 407 doesn't have much of a track record yet and the Honda obviously does - you can't go wrong with it.

My personal and totally unbiased opinion follows:

If you need a car that looks good in the driveway - 407 (by a mile)
    If you need a car that's great to drive - 407 (the suspension is just right, as is the steering) Why would they engineer it to be too soft, too hard, etc when they've been doing adaptive suspension for over 15 years?

Your parents need to buy the car that's right for them and their use. I once supported and assisted a friend buy a 1990 Corolla - it was the right car for his personality/use, but you won't see me in one.

Don't listen to the journalists. Take the cars for a LONG drive on different roads. Do to them what you normally wouldn't do, and then decide which one wants to come home. And be warned, when you hit the brakes hard in the 407 the hazard lights will come on automatically for several seconds...

Good luck,

Patrick
    605 SVE

I'd pay the extra 7k to get a car that ......

- is not another run of the mill riceburner ( Although Honda would be the best of the asian lot).
    - is not going to be a superceded model in 18 months
    - has put more into chassis dynamics instead of bells and whistles
    - has generally more robust running gear giving longevity
    - offers diesel and petrol variants
    And doesnt the 407 meet future European crash safety requirements for pedestrians?

Aussie and asian cars are sometimes advertised as having Éuro style''..Ever heard of a European car being advertised as having asian style??

The Honda Euro has had some pretty good reports about it in the motoring press... Ï want to drive something special.. but that's me.

Some people just want to get from point A to point B. I like to go via point C

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

How about the Subaru Liberty 2.5i? They get good reviews, are price competitive with the Accord, have AWD, handle nicely, the current one doesn't look too bad at all... The list goes on.

To me, Subaru is the Japanese equivalent of Peugeot...

Fellow Frogger!

Default Japanese Peugeot?

Subaru surely should be more likened to a Japanese Citroen: consider the following :
    flat engines ( 2cv and GS, admittedly water cooled ( and all the better for it !)
    front wheel drive since the early 70s The AWD stuff is a newer philosophy
    frameless windows ( DS and C6 )
    independent factory operations
    adaptive air suspension ( not in OZ but in Japan )
    some styling that could be called brave
    innovative thinking like 2 radiators in the first FWD ones imported here
    Fiori minicars are 2 cyl ( ?)
    The early Mazda 800 engines were rather like small Pug offerings ( 403 like architecture ) while Hino built Renault 8 ish vehicles.

I realise everyone has different tastes but I think the 407 looks damn ugly and one would never find an example in my driveway. But then I think all the Peugeots that have come out after the 306 and 405 have lost it from a styling viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by B E R E T
    I realise everyone has different tastes but I think the 407 looks damn ugly and one would never find an example in my driveway. But then I think all the Peugeots that have come out after the 306 and 405 have lost it from a styling viewpoint.

i have seen a couple of 407's now

in silver they don't look too bad

white doesn't suit them at all

brown doesn't suit them either and i still can't imagine why anyone would ever want any car in brown, it has to be the ugliest colour i can think of for any car

a blue one i saw though really took my attention

as for the 307 well it just has the full brunt of the 07 disease

i was looking at the 307's one day in a dealership and i was asked what i thought of them and i was honest and the look from the woman behind the counter was priceless

i am yet to see a 607 in the flesh so i can't comment there yet
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

If they are going to buy the car then ask the dealer for a car for at least half a day and take it for a good run ... especially up the dandenongs or along the great ocean rd if you are in Melbourne or somthing similar some where else.

Then compare the Honda over the same run..... bet they buy the Pug.......

Althiugh Honda is really quite good its just not in the same class..... I hear that as of next year the 6 speed will be in all the cars anyway.. but thats just a romour.

Stay loyal anf wave at all the other pug drivers no other car provides the same group of loyalists..

Cheers
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

This is simple,

why don't you just get a C5, it's just a poogoe, but it has proper suspension under it.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Took the Euro and Liberty thru my favorite 10km section of twisties b4 settling for the 407 for my wife/family. Sure 407 2.2 four auto (and others) is TOTALLY outclassed by the Euros 140kw screamer but the 407 beats it in all other areas IMHO ...(speaking only for OUR NEEDS in a luxo family car).

Sure the 407 is more expensive but it also has standard features not even available on the jap cars (or others costing twice the price.). However I would be lying if I didn't admit to being a little concerned about the long term reliability of the 407.

It really depends on what you want from a car. If performance is your main criteria, then get the Euro or better still the Liberty GT or the flat 6. Personally, I reckon it might be worthwhile waiting for next years new Alfa 159 ( looks drop dead gorgeous in spy pics).

Meanwhile, I choose to ignore the road tests...good or bad....LIKE PJ810 suggested...take them for a thorough test drive and decide for yourself.

Cheers.

[QUOTE=407er]Took the Euro and Liberty thru my favorite 10km section of twisties b4 settling for the 407 for my wife/family. Sure 407 2.2 four auto (and others) is TOTALLY outclassed by the Euros 140kw screamer but the 407 beats it in all other areas IMHO ...(speaking only for OUR NEEDS in a luxo family car).
    So you felt the 407 superior in the handling department? This is a pretty common theme from my research so far.
    Equipment wise the Euro seems to have it beaten (at least in 2.2 petrol stc form). Which features do you mean in relation to being not available on jap cars, as the only thing I could not find on the euro was the parking sensors.In every other aspect it seems to have more.
    Performance doesn,t need to be blistering for my parents just adequate overtaking ability, how do you find the 2.2 petrol auto do you need to work the gears yourself to really get it moving. How much worse than the Euro is it in this area? The other priorities would be features, value and style. What were your main priorities?

I just did a google search for Alfa 159. Wow.
    I agree. Wait a bit and get the Alfa.
    The C5 offers a lot if you want a big car.
    Get two 206's instead!
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    own a french car at all do you ?

anything positive or do you want to share any knowledge that may help others with the running of their french cars ?

you may or may not have noticed but this forum is called aussiefrogs and as such is a forum devoted to french car owners/fanciers in australia
    Bit harsh really considering the thread title and first post.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Bit harsh really considering the thread title and first post.

not really

as per normal his post is another negative towards anything french

read through 90% of PPD's other posts on the forum
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    not really

as per normal his post is another negative towards anything french

read through 90% of PPD's other posts on the forum
    PPD,s comment was ok with me on this occasion as it was factual, in relation to the Euro,s extraordinary value. Can,t speak for his past comments however but I wasn,t offended and I,m happy to hear all arguments for and against the 407 so long as their factual.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgti180
    PPD,s comment was ok with me on this occasion as it was factual, in relation to the Euro,s extraordinary value. Can,t speak for his past comments however but I wasn,t offended and I,m happy to hear all arguments for and against the 407 so long as their factual.

that's ok

some points on his behalf would have been nice to add instead of a blanket statement as you were after pros and cons for both makes and as such the post was useless as per just about every other post he has made regarding french cars on the forum

if he detailed reasons as to why instead of a blanket the honda is cheaper then it would have been a worthy post but as such it was as uselful as you know whats on a bull
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Test drove the Euro today and my Father was not that impressed. In the 5 speed auto it had no torque down low in the rev range what so ever, surprise surprise. The space inside was less than the 407, my fathers head was almost touching the roof as he,s 6ft2. Steering response was not as good as the 407 with weighting and road feel similar. Much to my relief the 407,s looking good probably in the V6, there,s plenty of ex peugeot company cars at bargain prices at the moment. Just need to try the V6 Accord, however I,m not a fan of it,s looks or philosophy as it,s designed for the US market. The handling will certainly suck as will the steering and the auto,s not even tiptronic. Along with this it has no esp, only 16" alloys, no xenon lamps, no parking sensors etc etc. Basically to keep the price down to 47k drive away they,ve stripped it of options making the 407sv very competitive as the honda,s missing in my estimates about 10k of features. Thanks for all the feedback, it seems the 407 will prevail against the Euro as it best meets my parents needs and I will certainly enjoy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information