Depollution faulty warning 407
  • Register
  • Help

Default Depollution faulty warning 407

Hi all,

Has anyone had their on -board computer appear with the message ‘de-pollution system faulty’ accompanied by the engine malfunction warning light.

Happened to my wife's 407 whilst she was driving it today. Apparently the car felt EXTREMLEY sluggish after this warning appeared.

When I checked it after work, the warning light again appeared after the diagnostic check on start up but the motor performed as usual. I drove the car on three more occasions..this time no warning at all on the diagnostic computer and performance as normal.

Has anyone in the forum had a similar experience with their Pug or a possible explanation (bad fuel maybe??)

Thanks

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

well it sounds like its an emission control system playing up, where i don't know. could be alot of things. Any way the car probabally felt sluggish because when the cars computer show an error like that, the computer gose into some "error code". this is designed to as safely as possible, run the engine enough to get it home or to a mechanic, so your not stranded by the road side. i suspect that this "error code" could affect the performance of the engine, in relation to the seriousness of the problem. which may explain the performance picked up again. the computer can limit the engine through retarding the timing and cutting feul etc. my advise is to take it somewhere, where they can talk to the computer and find out the exact problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hipcrostino
    well it sounds like its an emission control system playing up, where i don't know. could be alot of things. Any way the car probabally felt sluggish because when the cars computer show an error like that, the computer gose into some "error code". this is designed to as safely as possible, run the engine enough to get it home or to a mechanic, so your not stranded by the road side. i suspect that this "error code" could affect the performance of the engine, in relation to the seriousness of the problem. which may explain the performance picked up again. the computer can limit the engine through retarding the timing and cutting feul etc. my advise is to take it somewhere, where they can talk to the computer and find out the exact problem.
    Thanks for your help Hipcrostino.....its much appreciated
    I just did a search on the net and found that the same error code appeared on a 407 HDI whilst being road tested by a English motor mag. Apparently, the dealer said that the car could still be driven until the part came in a week later without risking damage to the motor.

Although the warning hasn't come up at all whilst driving it today, I'll be ringing the service dept Monday.
    Cheers,
    407er

Welcome to the world of multiplexed PSA vehicles, 407er. It's unfortunately quite a common message on some cars (a certain person's Xsara here, I recall) and we get quite a few 206 GTis and GTi180s with them as well. As far as I can tell, everyone of them was a slightly different fix

It could mean lots of different things, from bad fuel to a dodgy sensor, solenoid or valve in various parts of the engine/emission system.

To ease your troubled mind, I'd definitely have it looked at by the dealer, as soon as your able to.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks Simon for your helpful reply.

The warning however hasn't reappeared Is this also quite common with multiplexed PSA cars?

Cheers

I had the same problem (2005 407, 140k, auto 6 speed, use E10 fuel) but it seems to have been fixed (has not appeared to 2 months) by one of the following (not sure which one as dine at the same time)

a) replaced petrol filter - lots of stuff came out of the old one so possibly blocked or reduced flow

b) changed all the spark plugs (NKG) (old Champion ones looked tired and the tips were worn / burnt down, probably after the 140 K kms)) - a bit of a bugger as you need to remove the intake and I broke the vacuum pipe under it (easy to fix with a bit of pipe) - also found some of the spark plug wells were full of oil, so that might not have helped, albeit the covers were tight and it did not seem they were leaking from the covers

c) cleaned the throttle body with carbie cleaner to rmeove a lot of petrol gum / gunk

Now runs at around 12 l/100 kms city where as before it was around 12.7 (same 50 kms round trips each day).

regards

Fellow Frogger!

Not wishing to be alarmist, but an ex Sydney Peug dealer mechanic now running his own shop on the north coast gets a fair bit of business from damage to mostly rubber bits caused by ethanol. His advice is avoid all fuels with any ethanol in it if the engine is one of the new era power plants. Along with the local diesel injection shop he is also finding diesel fuel related issues at times and suggests caution in one's choice of fuel provider.

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kelpiebat View Post
    Not wishing to be alarmist, but an ex Sydney Peug dealer mechanic now running his own shop on the north coast gets a fair bit of business from damage to mostly rubber bits caused by ethanol. His advice is avoid all fuels with any ethanol in it if the engine is one of the new era power plants. Along with the local diesel injection shop he is also finding diesel fuel related issues at times and suggests caution in one's choice of fuel provider.
    As an ex peugeot dealer head mechanic now working outside of the dealer network I agree 100%. In melbourne there is a certain large chain that I avoid at all costs as the difference in efficiency and reliability is quite shocking.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Thread Information