406 front discs and pads
  • Register
  • Help

Default 406 front discs and pads

Hi Guys,

I'm going to replace the front discs and pads on my 406 HDi. Is it straightforward? Do the caliper pistons push back in or do they require winding in?

Cheers,

Rich.

Advertisement

Tadpole

Hello there,

I "helped" when my partner and I changed the front and rear disk and pads. the first time it takes some time ( a couple of hours or so) but once you know what you're doing it takes no time at all ( about 1 wheel every 15 minutes once you get going! ) and it is quite easy. By the way when i said helped, I mean't I sat there and drank tea, oh and critised!!! I'm female...what do men expect!?

1000+ Posts

Howdy Rich; I've never done the 406 brakes, but that winding in caper is only for rear discs with a built in handbrake mechanism.

Four tips - 1). make sure the brake fluid isn't too full in the reservoir (this would only be the case if it's been topped up after the pads were worn) as it may overflow once the pistons are pushed back. 2). You can use a large pair of grips or a G-clamp/cramp to retract the piston. Using grips, go slowly as you usually have to squeeze on one side of the piston which doesn't push the piston 'squarely', hence it takes a while to get it moving. 3). I always think it's a good idea to try to move the piston in and out a couple of times to make sure it's totally free - this helps prevent seizures in the future, especially over there with the rain/slush. 4). keep an eye on the piston to make sure it doesn't pop out - some people put wire around them while they're fitting the pads - especially if you have a three year old sitting in the car playing brum-brums. Don't ask me how I know this...

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information