more questions about my 406 v6 :)
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default more questions about my 406 v6 :)

sorry for all the questions on here but there are some knowledgeable and helpful people so it's the best place to ask

1) Since buying the car (1998 406 V6 - 115k miles) there has been a slight problem with the engine (i'm assuming). My car was sat idling about 3 weeks ago and it just died, started again fine but the idle kept flickering. Since then it's never died when idling. However, when i'm driving, occasionally the engine will have a 'stutter' if that makes sense. Basically it's like the engine is choking, lack of fuel etc. but it does it even when I have a full tank. It seems to do it at random times, whether the engine is hot and cold and speed doesn't affect it. It is normally just for a fraction of a second where I lose acceleration but it's very noticeable and frustrating.

Could it be something else? clutch? gearbox?

Any ideas on that one?

Advertisement

2) My front brake pads are wearing pretty low so I need to replace them soon. Is there any brand that I should go for or anywhere specific I should buy them from (I'm in the UK)?
    I can get some Ferodo Premier pads for about 31 (GBP) if they're any good?

3) As mentioned in my other thread about the oil it looks like I need to change this again along with the filter. What filter is best to go for?

many thanks for any answers.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewr
    2) My front brake pads are wearing pretty low so I need to replace them soon. Is there any brand that I should go for or anywhere specific I should buy them from (I'm in the UK)?
    I can get some Ferodo Premier pads for about 31 (GBP) if they're any good?

3) As mentioned in my other thread about the oil it looks like I need to change this again along with the filter. What filter is best to go for?
    We down here don't seem to get the range of choices that you people in the UK get. I would say get the genuine filter (Perflux), but I'm pretty sure that the local Halfords will be able to supply you with some decent pads.

The hesitation thing sounds like a dirty idle stepper motor type of thing, but alas I know nothing about the 406 V6 engine.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information