Pugg 406 engine ticking
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon4 Pugg 406 engine ticking

My 406 (1.8 16v) has a funny ticking noise comming from it. The only way I can describe it is get a metal ball point pen, then click it up and down. It's book rated at 33 mpg, but I put 15 worth of fuel for a journey that usually takes 7-10, but by the time I had got back home the fuel light was on and the guage was near the bottom red section. My car has 190 000 miles on the clock, so I don't expect it to be a quick and cheap fix!! Any Ideas on what it could be.

Advertisement

Hey :-)

Does it seem to be idleing lower than usual, and low on power? Also is it running rough?

Kev
    306 Xsi 16V

1997 306 XSi 16V, Full Stainless Exhaust, Pipercross Induction Kit, JVC / Pioneer ICE

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl.willis
    My 406 (1.8 16v) has a funny ticking noise comming from it. The only way I can describe it is get a metal ball point pen, then click it up and down. It's book rated at 33 mpg, but I put 15 worth of fuel for a journey that usually takes 7-10, but by the time I had got back home the fuel light was on and the guage was near the bottom red section. My car has 190 000 miles on the clock, so I don't expect it to be a quick and cheap fix!! Any Ideas on what it could be.

The ticking noise could be the injectors they do tend to make a bit of noise. That could also be the cause of your high fuel consumption. My 1800 does about 12km/lt or 8.3lt/100km for urban/motorway mix. Best ever was 6.7lt/100km at a constant 120km/h.

Mine had a ticking noise a while back which I traced to a one way valve / solenoid thing under the driver side fender. The valve is for the petrol fumes from the tank into the inlet manifold. After replacing mine I saw that you can actually adjust it to be quieter or just take it out all together. With the motor running if I opened the drivers door and listened by the door hinges I could hear it the loudest.

Ryan

Replace the air cleaner, spark plugs, and get the injectors cleaned and see what happens. This is to get a decent base to work from, with regards possible further diagnosis. This sort of service should cost less than 200 pounds with an oil change thrown in.

It may also be the engine temp sensor for the fuel injection telling the computer the engine is cold and so throwing in extra fuel. This is not an expensive fix.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Tadpole

I shall change the things you mentioned.
    Hopefully i won't be embarrassed any more once the ticking stops. I turn up the radio really loud and pretend not to hear it!!!!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RyanO
    Mine had a ticking noise a while back which I traced to a one way valve / solenoid thing under the driver side fender. The valve is for the petrol fumes from the tank into the inlet manifold. After replacing mine I saw that you can actually adjust it to be quieter or just take it out all together. With the motor running if I opened the drivers door and listened by the door hinges I could hear it the loudest.Ryan
    I thought that solenoid usually only opens on the overrun when there's high vacuum in the inlet - this way it sucks the fumes from the charcoal canister and burns them (rather than them going into the atmosphere). Maybe the design's changed and it opens in time with inlet pulses?

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    I thought that solenoid usually only opens on the overrun when there's high vacuum in the inlet - this way it sucks the fumes from the charcoal canister and burns them (rather than them going into the atmosphere). Maybe the design's changed and it opens in time with inlet pulses?

Stu
    That's how the workshop manual explains it, ie. that it opens on over run, but mine is definitely pulsing continuously, even at idle. I thought that was a bit suspicious so I listened to another 406 and it was the same.

Thread Information