Water getting in!
  • Register
  • Help

Water getting in!

I'm getting water seeping in from the bottom corner of the rear windscreen when it rains heavily. I tried fixing this a few weeks ago by forcing Selleys All-Clear into the corners of the windscreen between the glass and the rubber, both on the inside and out. I then took out the rear seats and dried everything out, and kept the rear stripped out for a week just in case water got in again (it also looked pretty cool - just like a rally car...)

Anyway, it didn't leak so I put everything back in, and now after all the heavy rain we've been having, it's leaked again and everything's got wet again!!

Is this a common problem with 505s? It's not hard to pull the rubber away from the glass so I guess the water is finding it's way past the seal somehow. Will I need to seal up the whole bottom edge of the rear window instead of just the corners? Or is there a better solution? New rear windscreen rubber?

Advertisement

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    window drains ????
    pug rubbers are designed in a way that they seal in 4 different spots and as such have drains in the window frame to clear any water out
    pull the rear screen out and check everything out
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Is Selleys' 'All Clear' a Silastic type sealant, silicone based?

If so, don't use it in this application... it harbours rust and aids in its spreadng.

Richard,

We have the same problem with one of our GTI's, we had it into Novus to have the drains cleaned and the window re-sealed...they said it was fine now.

Which it is but when we have a REALLY heavy rain the wells around the top of the boot fill up and it leaks in around the drivers side and gets the underside of the seat wet and the carpet. The only way we avoid it now is to park that car with the boot facing down hill when it's raining so the water drains out!

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

That shouldn't be too much of a problem providing your battery's okay...

Ray, even if it is silicon-based, I used it between the rubber glass-surround and the glass so it's not in contact with any metal.

Ben and pugrambo, does this mean I might have done more harm than good by filling in the space between the glass and rubber with the All-Clear? Where are these window drains located? Could I clean them out myself? If I had to remove the rear windscreen, would it be hard to do it myself?

Geez, sorry for asking so many questions...
    blush

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    yes you have hindered the water drainage
    ther are hole in the rubber seal as well which then drain into the drains in the window frame

you have to remove the rear window to clean the rubber up properly and clean the drain tubes out in the car as well

not a big job really but just be careful

gently pushing on the glass and lifting the rubber from the inside will pop the window out

to replace use some of that cheap twine type rope from clints and feed it in around the rubber after you have placed it back around the glass and place the window on the back of the car and gently pull the rope into the car and this will feed the rubber back into the window frame

you need two pairs of hands as well

while the window is out make sure the window frame is clean of any rubbish and sealant

good luck
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I've stuck a stack of windscreens in... the only one that's ever leaked is the one in my present car.

That was put in by a windscreen place...

1000+ Posts
    All Clear isn't silicone based. It can also be used directly on to wet surfaces.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

pugrambo:
    yes you have hindered the water drainage
    ther are hole in the rubber seal as well which then drain into the drains in the window frame
    Hmmm, great... mallet

I'll try and take out the glass myself, but I'll have to wait for some good weather. Hopefully by next week.

While it's out I'll try and repair some rust underneath the seal, and replace the chrome in the rubber which has gone opaque. That'll strike a few things off from my "to do" list.

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Thread Information