403 diff oil
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 403 diff oil

Default 403 diff oil

Hi All,
    Does anyone know where I can buy a 4 or 5 litre of diff oil for 403,
    either Castrol STH140 or Shell DENTAX W.
    The local castrol agents have to buy a box of 3 or 4 x5l and as they have no hope of selling the other 2 aren't keen to order it in, and the shell agent says Dentax W comes in 20 litre or 2oo litre, and I have no hope of using 20 L and being a full synthetic 20 L ain't cheap.
    Regards Pete

Advertisement

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

I've got a drum of ELF vegetable diff oil... it's quite old, went halves with someone else here (though I still haven't given him his half... must get that done!).

Anyway, I'm sure you could try some of that if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by broudeau
    I've got a drum of ELF vegetable diff oil... it's quite old, went halves with someone else here (though I still haven't given him his half... must get that done!).

Anyway, I'm sure you could try some of that if you want to.
    Thanks but I think I will stick to the stuff I know, and hopefully will be able to get later on.
    Pete

Default 403 diff oil.

Pete,
    Do you live near an industrial area? I ask because conveyor belt gearboxes were worm drive, I'm going back a year or so here. You may be able to source some STH or Dentax here.
    Another source could be from a bus company that are using older buses, country bus services etc.

I think it was Penrite Oils who listed a worm drive oil, see if you can get a good answer from them. Although it's always the problem of the quantity that most oil distributors will supply.
    Stick to your search for STH 140 and Dentax W. The latter I'm told doesn't show "gold" when drained!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

worm drive boxes are used a lot in mining as well but beware they won't have any vege based oil there

they use gearoil and wonder why the wheels pit and chew out in a fairly short time
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

maybe get a batch and see if you can off load the remainder to other worm drivers ?
    Last edited by pugrambo; 2nd June 2005 at 11:34 PM.
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

When I bought my first 403 many years ago it was maintained by a country mechanic who claimed some expertise in the make. He always used Castrol WD1 in the diff. I later learned it was a 240 grade industrial oil. Couldn't have hurt, the diff lasted forever. On the other hand a big Holden garage serviced my cousins 403 and put hypoid oil in the diff. It made dreadful noises for a few days before it was sent back but surprisingly survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall
    When I bought my first 403 many years ago it was maintained by a country mechanic who claimed some expertise in the make. He always used Castrol WD1 in the diff. I later learned it was a 240 grade industrial oil. Couldn't have hurt, the diff lasted forever. On the other hand a big Holden garage serviced my cousins 403 and put hypoid oil in the diff. It made dreadful noises for a few days before it was sent back but surprisingly survived.
    i have heard similar stories over the years

most of them tales of woe when using anything other than vege based oil and having the wheel eaten away

no wonder early pugs got a bad name, "dam french cars have bad diffs"
    Last edited by pugrambo; 2nd June 2005 at 11:36 PM.
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default 403 diff oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall
    Russell,
    240 grade oil. Did your friend have to light a fire under the diff in the winter?
    I remember a Caltex Thuban? oil being used in older Leyland trucks with worm drive. That would have been a 240 grade. It gave you a hernia when pumping it out of a drum!

Castrol must only have changed the oil designation to Sth 140 recently.

Twelve to fifteen months ago I was able to purchase R 40 in 4 a litre tin, $60.

You may be able to track down an old tin R 40.

Otherwise ring Castrol HQ for an explanation of their customer service ethos,
    or some assistance.

ed ge

1000+ Posts

With 240 grade oil on a frosty morning it's a wonder it moved at all. It was also fun to put in with an oil syringe. The other thing with worm drive diffs was to convince mechanics you really did have to change the oil every 3600 miles. Not changing the diff oil was a major cause of premature death in 03's. My first edition 203 handbook (1949) is quite blase about diff maintenance, 5000 miles change, by the 403 there is a red page in the front of the handbook and dire warnings. No doubt there for those anglo-saxon mechanics, it was no doubt assumed a French mechanic would know how to care for a worm diff.

Oh come on now!

That was just to keep the colour of the oil from becoming totally brassy...

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Castrol must only have changed the oil designation to Sth 140 recently.

Twelve to fifteen months ago I was able to purchase R 40 in 4 a litre tin, $60.

You may be able to track down an old tin R 40.

Otherwise ring Castrol HQ for an explanation of their customer service ethos,
    or some assistance.

ed ge
    Ed,
    My STH 140 use goes back to 1969. [404]
    A friend of mine who worked in the lubritorium* of a Peugeot dealer told me that Castrol R was their prescribed diff oil.
    I've heard this from others.

*Lubritorium. Only Ray or Fordman may remember this.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Ed,
    My STH 140 use goes back to 1969. [404]
    A friend of mine who worked in the lubritorium* of a Peugeot dealer told me that Castrol R was their prescribed diff oil.
    I've heard this from others.

*Lubritorium. Only Ray or Fordman may remember this.
    R40 is definitely better than STH140.
    Vegetable oil such as R40 is what the diff needs, the STH 140(straight, heavy, 140 grade) is a compromise that doesn't do as much damage as the hypoid oil. Apparently the hypoid oil broke down in time and the sulphur content created sulphuric acid which then ate away at the bronze wheel.
    Synthetic Hypoid is also suitable but nearly as hard to get as R40.
    You can feel the extra performance when using R40 due to the lower friction and when the time comes to change the oil there is very little bronze in the oil.
    R40 was a very popular oil in early motor racing, it's main problem is that it tends to oxidise easily and needs to be changed regularly.
    In an engine after every race meeting without fail.
    Whatever you do don't mix mineral and vegetable oils, this WILL stuff the diff!
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by PCOATES505
    Hi All,
    The local castrol agents have to buy a box of 3 or 4 x5l and as they have no hope of selling the other 2 aren't keen to order it in, and the shell agent says Dentax W comes in 20 litre or 2oo litre, and I have no hope of using 20 L and being a full synthetic 20 L ain't cheap.
    Regards Pete

I asked a Peugeot mechanic yesterday where could you get diff oil - he said he gets his from PENRITE 5 litres at a time!

Have a look on this www site - this is the stuff he uses and he has had no problems.

"A GL4 rated gear oil for use in worm differentials, pre 1960 hypoid differentials and motorcycle shaft drives. Will not cause corrosion to bronze components"

http://www.penrite.com.au/nextpage.p...iew.php&id=136

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rprince3op2
    I asked a Peugeot mechanic yesterday where could you get diff oil - he said he gets his from PENRITE 5 litres at a time!

Have a look on this www site - this is the stuff he uses and he has had no problems.

"A GL4 rated gear oil for use in worm differentials, pre 1960 hypoid differentials and motorcycle shaft drives. Will not cause corrosion to bronze components"

http://www.penrite.com.au/nextpage.p...iew.php&id=136
    Yes, the Penrite equivalent of STH 140.
    Graham

Default Oil

I searched this line and was given 4 liters of castrol veg oil. Looked to thin. Ended up putting in Castrol VMX 80 transmisson oil. It is designed to run with bronze wheels and worm drives. Been in there for 15yrs and 20000 miles and still going. No shinny bits in the oil either. Shouled be readily avaliable at any castol outlet.
    Regards
    Jeff

Hi All,
    Regards Pete
    You can get 4 ltrs of the STH 140 from J B Scott who are an Agricultural Machinery Dealer in Geelong. Duncan

Has anyone tried Caltex Synstar GL FM 80w-140 in a worm diff.
    http://www.caltex.com.au/products_oil_detail.asp?id=282

Regards Pete

The things I've heard about Caltex lubricants, I wouldn't bother...

Didn't I suss out a Cadillac product once for this, by the way? Anything they do comes in 5 litres.

Default 403 diff oil.

Has anyone tried Caltex Synstar GL FM 80w-140 in a worm diff.
    http://www.caltex.com.au/products_oil_detail.asp?id=282

Regards Pete
    Would need to be carefull here. Caltex details make it more for heavy duty hypoid diffs in trucks.

Well I have decided to go for Penrite Mild EP gear oil, but this is what I'm up against, Castrol STH 140, buy 3 x 4litres, Shell Dentax W, buy 20 Litres, Penrite Mild ep buy 5 litres, pay $15 freight to get it from Penrite to dealers, because it's not a regular stock item, I have rung, Bursons, Autopro, autobarn, Supercheap, and a few local oil suppliers, no one keeps any of these oils in stock, so they are all a special order and therfore attract extra freight charges, so in the end I pay around $40 for 5 litres of oil. Great choice!!, but at least I will be able to fill my diff before I put the rear end back in the wagon.
    Regards to all Pete

Ps Ray did you get my email about your email?

Yeah, I got that... answered as well...

I can't work out why you should be paying $15 extra freight. Why don't they just add it to their next consignment? I'd put it to them that this is extortion and you shouldn't have to pay that much!

Fellow Frogger!

Was told ages ago that Roadranger truck boxes used sth 140
    can any one one confirm this.?
    if is it correct sth140 should be available most places.
    alpine

Thread Information