Not happy & a little advice
  • Register
  • Help

Icon8 Not happy & a little advice

just got my car in for a services the other day (still in by the way). Cut a long story short, has enough of the peugeot dealer (Eastern Suburb- Sydney) servicing my car (no personal touch & not cheap). So off I go to the garage down the road (I live in Alexandria, so its like auto repair garlore).

And I'm not very happy. Not at the people at this new place but a little suss at the people at peugoet servicing department.

I have to get the pump for my radiator replace because its leaking (my car's fault) and while at it I was told to get the belt replaced at just the parts price, which I'm all right with (still have a year or two left in its life, but safes the trouble later on cause labour cost lots of $$$)

But then comes the bad part, I was told my rear brake pads are finished. But I only got it replace at the dealer one and a half yrs ago (new disc as well) that was like 15000km ago . The front's fine (3.5 yrs now) which bags the question doesnt the front usually go first before the back or at the very least evenly worn?
    Remember my car is a manual 306xt so how fast can I really go?

So is it bad parts (O blame it on euro parts), bad workmanship in fitting of the parts (can that happen?), is it just me (no handbrakes on while driving I promise ) Or is it normal?

Advertisement

I know the dealer is just going to tell me that just normal or you've been driving hard (my car doesnt even see 6000 ever or seen a race track except for Albert Park at 40km'h ). Should I call/ see them anyway? Not happy!

sory too say but u aint realy being takin for a ride . 306 water pumps have habit of leaking when they get a bit older. usualy it isnt leaking litres and litres,just leaves a trail of dried up coolant along the pump which looks like mould and thats classed as leaking.its rare to hapen but unluky if it gets too the point of it driping coolant, its up to you if a want too wait til the timing belt is due or now but doing both at the same time is a smart idea mainly cos labour isnt cheap. im guesing u have disc rear brakes, they also have a habit of wearing uneven,even in those k's and taking the discs down with them. none of this ul get waranty for. u mite get a bit of sympathy if u nice, angry customers get nowhere in that business.
    i speed up for round abouts,corners and chikanes

Default Not happy...

306xt
    The people at Second Choice Motors have offered good advice in having your cam belt changed when they do the water pump. You appear to accept this advice.
    On the subject of what you consider short rear pad life. Do you carry a full complement of passengers or weighty objects in the rear of the car most of the time? This could be a contributing factor in the rear pad life?

I've been out of the trade for a few years now but one of the things learnt when offering advice on forecasting pad wear was to suggest the pads be replaced before or at the next service.[10k]. Knowing full well that they would cover the distance! We used to refer to this as "covering your arse".
    Not intended as a money making exercise. What the service dept. charge unfortunately doesn't find its way to the mechanics.

If you were doing your own servicing you would soon come to recognise a brake pad wear pattern and life thus reducing your running costs. The actual pad life could quite easily be extended to a more acceptable 10 to 15k on top of your earlier post figure. x25

Thanks for the replies.
    My problem wasn't with the water pump (I knew I had a problem when it was reaching for the red ) which I just realise coincidently was replaced by the previous owner at 45k at end of 02 along with the belt. (So maybe bad parts at the place they serviced at, cause the battery she replaced there also went within a year...... Rozelle... Cough Cough...EMW )

But my question was with the rear brake pads.
    I mean I had them (pads/disc) replaced at 60k back in jan04 while the front was replaced back in 02 at 45k . I just wonder why the rear would go so much quicker then the front (still right), I would have thought it was the other way around - like change the front twice before changing the back once.

1. My car rarely have more then 2 people in it unless ferrying my parents when they visit.

2. The heaviest thing in the back is the paper box grocery with the grocery once a week.

Apparently the pad was gone and the disc was lucky to survive this round. The even have even wear, so it wasnt the clippers (the right name?) playing up.

the front pads when new have about 1.2cms of friction material because the fronts get used more too stop the car. the rears are only about 0.6cms thick. thats a big factor too. see,size does matter! i know u said u dont have the handbreake on while drive but does it click less than 4-5 notches when pulling up? if it does less then they would be just touching and wearing.
    i speed up for round abouts,corners and chikanes

Thread Information