Rattling/Raspy Noise and Oil
  • Register
  • Help

Default Rattling/Raspy Noise and Oil

hey guys,

i was getting some raspy tappy noise through acceleration and i thought it was my exhaust manifold gasket that might of been on the fritz and was going to give changing it a burl this weekend, but the other day i noticed i was low on oil.

Advertisement

so without really liking driving around on anything other than MAX or just under MAX oil level, and i was only half way between MIN and MAX i topped up. but the only oil i had in the garage was some Shell 20W50, dunno what was in it as mechanic changes oil every 5000kms. so i added abit of that went back in side, came back out and the noise seems to have partially dissappeared... barely noticeable and idle seems tons better.

now im all for noises dissappearing, as long as they dont come back and bite me fair on the ass. what would be the cause of a tappy noise that would quiten down with slightly thicker oil?
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    hey guys,

i was getting some raspy tappy noise through acceleration and i thought it was my exhaust manifold gasket that might of been on the fritz and was going to give changing it a burl this weekend, but the other day i noticed i was low on oil.

so without really liking driving around on anything other than MAX or just under MAX oil level, and i was only half way between MIN and MAX i topped up. but the only oil i had in the garage was some Shell 20W50, dunno what was in it as mechanic changes oil every 5000kms. so i added abit of that went back in side, came back out and the noise seems to have partially dissappeared... barely noticeable and idle seems tons better.

now im all for noises dissappearing, as long as they dont come back and bite me fair on the ass. what would be the cause of a tappy noise that would quiten down with slightly thicker oil?
    The cam followers on the Mi16 are hydraulic - that is they rely on oil pressure to work properly.
    If they aren't working properly then the valves don't open correctly and this would contribute to poor idling and rattling.
    If your oil was low then it may have been very hot and hence its viscosity was low which would contribute to the rattling and the cam followers not working properly.
    Also where did the missing oil go - did it leak out or was it burnt - ask you mechnic to do a cylinder compression check - this will tell you if the rings are worn and hence allowing oil to be burnt.
    But the main thing to do is drain and refill the oil and fit a new filter (whether its due for it or not). Also check the oil pressure.
    Make sure at the change you fill the engine with the correct viscosity oil - a lighter grade will not work as well.
    Any machine which relies on oil pressure needs to have the oil changed regularly and the correct oil used in the refill.
    Good Luck
    Roland
    Last edited by rprince3op2; 1st June 2005 at 01:40 AM.

Roland's description just about sums it up as far as oils, 16V engines and the dependance they have on good oils.
    I find in my 16V that oil is very critical. I have had some brands that I have had to drain at under 3000 klms due to being a bit sus at the way they have performed.
    Best oil I have used to date is the Elf Excellum 5W 40, the stuff another thread is on about at present; magic stuff that, as it seems to be the only oil I've ever found that improves with useage as regards as noise suppression goes; don't ask me why, but they tell me there's a very technical explanation that involves molecular chains and things. It seems to be very capable of withstanding the high revs, high temps and high stresses these engines impose on their oils.
    The noise you can hear will possibly be the hydraulic valve tappets rattling and could be an indication of the pump starting to lose a bit of its efficiency or as I suspect, the oil you were using just simply breaking down and not doing its job.
    I'd suggest an oil change as soon as is practical and try the Elf if you can get hold of it; it's magic.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information