Any idea what my 1995 306 XR is worth?
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Any idea what my 1995 306 XR is worth?

I'm hoping someone can give me an indicative value for my (well loved) 306 XR. I bought it new from City Automobiles in Rushcutters Bay in August 1995 so the car is coming up to 10 years old.

The negatives - I live in Paddington and park it on the street. It was a victim of the April '99 hail storm in Sydney. I had to wait approx. 18 months to have the hail damage panel beaten and the panel beater did a very ordinary job. A couple of areas that were panel beaten are now peeling and rusty. About 18 months ago someone driving the usual 4WD so beloved of all inner-city dwellers, did a 3 point turn in the street and left a large dent on my driver's side door (no note to say who they were, though). I have also had a 'close encounter' with a concrete pillar in the Edgecliff car park which has left the passenger side rear section scraped.
    Apart from that - the air conditioning does not work and my friendly auto electrician (whom I trust completely) informs me that the problem is the evaporator, not the condensor, and it is not worth the cost of repair - 'sell it in winter' he told me. The central locking only works from the passenger door.

The positives - I use it to drive less than 10 ks a day. I spent 12 months in the UK in 2001/2 when the car was in storage and not driven at all. It has done 46100 ks. The interior is in very good condition.

Advertisement

I would appreciate any input as to what I might realistically ask for this car - either as a trade in (on 1 of the 4 307 XSis that Peugeot Australia has left today) or as a private sale.

The car is registered until August.

Cheers
    Tricia

al

In melb you would probably struggle to get $6 unfortunately. I looked at a couple not that long ago and the cheapest was $6k. That car was pretty good too, albeit with 150000kms. I guess the very low kms will be in your favour.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by al
    In melb you would probably struggle to get $6 unfortunately. I looked at a couple not that long ago and the cheapest was $6k. That car was pretty good too, albeit with 150000kms. I guess the very low kms will be in your favour.

Do you mean as a trade-in on a new 307 or if I tried to sell privately? Many thanks for such a prompt reply.

al

Quote Originally Posted by '95306 XR Owner
    Do you mean as a trade-in on a new 307 or if I tried to sell privately? Many thanks for such a prompt reply.
    The mysterious world of trade-ins is a...mystery to me. I wouldn't have a clue about pugs, but the last two cars we've traded (an Mx5 and a jag) have gone for a fair bit less than market value.

Perhaps have a look on carsales, carpoint etc and see what similar cars are worth.

early model XR's have sold for as little as $4000, i wouldn't expect to get more then $10000 easpecially if it's rusting (which being galavanyzed should never happen)

al

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    early model XR's have sold for as little as $4000, i wouldn't expect to get more then $10000 easpecially if it's rusting (which being galavanyzed should never happen)
    Being a 95 with a long list of problems $10k is pretty optimistic. Also, don't the 2 door ones generally go for a bit less?

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Being a 95 with a long list of problems $10k is pretty optimistic. Also, don't the 2 door ones generally go for a bit less?
    i was thinking along the lines of 10k tops... if in mint condition... ours that was writen off got $14k but it was in absoloute MINT! condition and was a 97 model. Given the long line of problems i would offer an optomistic $4k at best but i wouldn't want to be the person buying it. As for prices, well the XR was the absoloute base model, with drum brake rear end so yes they are worth less, even though in my opinion the 3 door is nicer then the 5 door.

al

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    i even though in my opinion the 3 door is nicer then the 5 door.
    I agree. I think that somewhere about 5 is probably as good as you will be able to get. I would imagine that trading it you would struggle to get anything like that.

Perhaps you shouldn't go around saying that it stood doing nothing for a year either... from what i've heard that is pretty bad for cars.

Were the repairs done as an insurance job. If so then most are covered by a lifetime warranty. Even if it wasn't I would still be taking it back and asking them to repair it properly. Modern paint and panel repair should last a lot longer than 5 years. If you get the body fixed up and shiney new paint then you will get a lot more for it, especially with low kms and a good interior.

Jarrod

Quote Originally Posted by '95306 XR Owner
    I'm hoping someone can give me an indicative value for my (well loved) 306 XR. I bought it new from City Automobiles in Rushcutters Bay in August 1995 so the car is coming up to 10 years old.

Cheers
    Tricia

The red book has long been the means of valuing used cars and it used to be guarded by dealers. Now its on the net: www.redbook.com.au

This is what it says for your car:

1995 PEUGEOT 306

Hatchback XR 3dr Man 5sp 1.8i
    Trade in price guide* $3,400 - $4,500
    National average price - private sale* $4,300 - $6,300
    Price when new (RRP) $24,950
    all prices quoted are GST inclusive

Hope this helps.

PS. If you have problems selling then I am interested in flying in from Perth, Buying the car for cash and driving it back - I'm on holidays right now and it would be something to do as well as a project to work on for my oldest son to drive when he gets his licence!

Send a Personal Message if your interested.
    Last edited by rprince3op2; 1st June 2005 at 01:42 AM.

Red Book prices are about right for cars in fair condition.
    This one sounds as though the hail damage repair is on the dodgeeee side.
    A good/bad used car sales person will spot it straight away and you are sprung.
    Privately you stand a better chance. Never tell any lies when selling a car--just answer the questions asked and do not volunteer any information.
    Let your conscience be your guide.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

my parents just sold their 95 xr (? - 2 door anyway..) for 6k i beleive. Private sale.

it was in average nick - was beginning to look pretty ordinary. had a couple of dings and dents - nothing major. It was red and despite being garaged at home, was beginning to fade to pink on the bonnet and roof.

i think it had about 90,000 kms and it had the optional sunroof...

dunno if that helps.
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Tadpole

Default Any idea what my 1995 306 XR is worth?

As this is only my second post I don't know whether it's considered bad form or not.....
    I simply wanted to thank all those who took the time to respond to my post. I really appreciate the input. Thank you all

Tricia

Thread Information