404 question
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 404 question

Tadpole

Default 404 question

Hi there,

I'm looking for some good old-fashioned pug know-how. I am having trouble removing my left-hand-side sill panel (panel under doors). I have removed all the screws and bolts to free it up and the panel moves freely back and forth but I just can't get it away from the car.

It looks like the doors may be preventing it from dropping down but there must be an easier way than removing the doors to get it out.

Advertisement

If anyone is wondering why I want to remove it the answer is rust. I need to remove the seat belt anchor to clean rust from the floor and stop it from becoming much nastier. The seat belt anchor nut appears to be behind the sill panel (if I am wrong please say so) hence all the fussing about.

Any tips will be kindly received.

Thanks,

Matt.

A long, long time since I did this... but I don't recall anything too tricky...

Have you removed the screws (or rivets) that hold the kickplates on? You would see, of course, that it goes up under the fold in them.

I had a look at my car here and couldn't see anything... I just don't know...

G'day: not real difficult; I can assume that the front little bolt that joins the front guard to the sill is undone as are the bolts under the lower edge??
    All the kickplates are removed ?, then open the doors and (sitting at the B pillar) lift from the lower edge towards you. The middle area of the B pillar may be stuck with the sound deadener. There are usually three pads of sponge at the front, middle and end that collect moisture and precipitate rust.
    Any problems get back and I'll check some of the sill panels I have for mods/changes.

bon chance

Phil

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    A long, long time since I did this... but I don't recall anything too tricky...

Have you removed the screws (or rivets) that hold the kickplates on? You would see, of course, that it goes up under the fold in them.

I had a look at my car here and couldn't see anything... I just don't know...
    Yes, break the plastic rivets if still there and undo the screws under the alloy kick plates. I am doing this job at the moment, I hope you have less rust than me!!
    The seat belt mount is in the floor not the sill?
    Graham

Tadpole

Default Re: 404 Question

OK. Thanks Ray, Phil and Graham - I got it off. A touch of brut force was required and then it came free.

But oh how quickly a sweet moment can turn sour. The mighty rust demon has been busy under there. No holes, just surface stuff but it seems the more I pull my pug apart the more rust I find. Well wire brushes, rust converter and angle grinder here I come....

Any good anti-rust products you'd recommend?

Cheers,

Matt.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by matt74
    OK. Thanks Ray, Phil and Graham - I got it off. A touch of brut force was required and then it came free.

But oh how quickly a sweet moment can turn sour. The mighty rust demon has been busy under there. No holes, just surface stuff but it seems the more I pull my pug apart the more rust I find. Well wire brushes, rust converter and angle grinder here I come....

Cheers,

Matt.
    Plenty of fish oil (available in spray can) inside and outside the box sections.
    Graham

Yes, that is strange... my '69 has it in the floor.

Default Rust Converter

Cheers,

Matt.

De-ox-it 5 litres costs about $50 -my 404 swims in it

Then fish oil

Cheers,

Matt.

It is always the case with rust, the more you poke the more you find.
    Fishelene, good stuff.
    Phil

Default firshoil.........

I posted this tip some time ago. An old family "recipy" proven by years of panelbeating.
    Drtess in tyvec overalls with goggles and mask. Gloves optional.
    Mix half quantities of deodourised fish oil with clean diesel oil then using a high pressure blaster pump it into every channel, post and vent.
    Try to have the body up on a ramp or similar to allow the oil to run down and not block drain holes.
    Remove lock screws ( only one needed per unit) and pump into B pillar.
    If the blaster gun has a solid tube outlet, attach a piece of flex tube to get into the areas around the lower windscreen channels above the pedals and glove box.
    The inner chassis can be accessed through the plug in the footwell.

Dont forget the front radiator mount channel either.

The side sills have a centre section so work from the mounting screws underneath and through both plugged ends.

then dispose of your overals and mask and submerse yourself in a deodouriser.......

Try to time the work for a warm day and warn your partner/family and the neighbourhood moggys.

Bon chance

Phil

Tadpole

Default 404 Rust

Thanks everyone. I will put your suggestions into action and hopefully stop the rust in its tracks.

Cheers,

Matt.

Thread Information