Anyone rebuilt BA7 4 speed?
  • Register
  • Help

Anyone rebuilt BA7 4 speed?

Has anyone got experiance rebuilding BA7 4 speed gearbox? What are its weak points? Is it a complexed rebuild? Any tricks or trap to be wear of?

Advertisement

I've not ever seen one rebuilt, though there no doubt have been instances...

They seem unburstable, so it's normally just a case of replace with another one that you just expect (and find...) to be in good shape.

I had one that developed a synchro problem or something with some ham-fisted stepson gearchanges. I replaced it with one from a 404... and it was still fine when that car went off the road six years later.

I imagine the biggest trick with rebuilding them is getting the right shims under the bearing cones on the layshaft, but I can't speak from experience.

Ask me when I've rebuilt a BA7/5 into a 404 centre housing...

PugMad:
    Has anyone got experiance rebuilding BA7 4 speed gearbox? What are its weak points? Is it a complexed rebuild? Any tricks or trap to be wear of?
    The BA7 4 speed is one of the easiest gearboxes to work on, period. There are no shims and everything comes apart easy due to the split casing design. You just need a press to get some of the gears off in order to get to some of the synchro, bearings, etc.

I have stripped them, replaced the synchro and put them back together in under half an hour, using my father's press. I don't think there would be many other gearboxes which would allow you to do this job as fast as that.

The 5 speed is another matter. They have shims and an extension housing with lots of fiddly work.

On all Peugeot gearboxes, the weakest point (most likely to break) is the synchro mechanisms, especially if people try to do quick shifts or try to force them into first when they don't want to go there (i.e. when the teeth on the dog splines are not in the right position to engage). The needle roller bearing between the input and output shafts is usually the first bearing to get noisy. The big bearing on the input shaft also often gets a little noisy.

A common cause of worn gears and bearings is lack of oil due to it leaking out through the gearchange mechanism, which unfortunately comes out the bottom of the box on the BA7 4 speed.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Dave, Do you know any way of fixing the gearchange mechanism? Mine leaks a heap of oil!

PugMad:
    Dave, Do you know any way of fixing the gearchange mechanism? Mine leaks a heap of oil!
    The only way is to remove the rear housing, then cut the gearchange shaft near the internal welds, then replace the O-ring on the housing and replace the shaft and reweld. It's a pity the shaft is welded together, otherwise it would be alot easier. Also if it has been like this for many years, the housing could be too worn for a simple O ring change to solve the problem. If so you'll have to look around for a better rear housing, preferably off a later 504 (1977 onwards??).

There are some places who re-O-ring the housing, cut and weld the shaft, etc, on an exchange basis, but I don't know who they are. You're best bet is to ring one of the Pug mechanics in Melbourne and ask them who they get to do it, because Melbourne seems to be the place were these things are done.

You could also try asking any other Pug mechanic, but I'd say Melbourne Pug mechanics would be most likely to know the answer.

Personally I've never bothered having a gearbox re-O-ringed. I just top the box up more often, and I have a big sump/gearbox guard with a silastic "dam" on it, to stop it leaking on the driveway.

Dave

<small>[ 27 August 2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

If you're in Brisbane I know the Battersbys do them...

Thread Information