405 horn
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 405 horn

al

Default 405 horn

The horn in my Mi16 has never worked properly...sounds like a bird with a nail stuck in its throat...

I did a search that didn't come up with much... is this a common problem? Since i've been driving in traffic lately i've decided i need one - the louder the better!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by al
    The horn in my Mi16 has never worked properly...sounds like a bird with a nail stuck in its throat...

I did a search that didn't come up with much... is this a common problem? Since i've been driving in traffic lately i've decided i need one - the louder the better!
    Yeah I'd say there's a problem al. It's an air horn and it's meant to be bloody looouuuud! They sit in behind the front spoiler (driver's side I think). You can access it by removing the wheel and wheel arch liner (if the liner's there). I think it's pretty common for water to make it's way in there and stuff up the horn's electrics so the whole thing needs replacing.
    Hope this helps.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Fellow Frogger!

Hi

Most MI16 air horns have died & then been replaced by the normal twin tone horns of the high spec 405s.

Its normally the MI16s air horn compressor seizing up that finishes it off.
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

al

Would there be any way of establishing whether the horns or compressor are responsible for the lack of noise?
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Hi

Theres not really much that can go wrong with the horn part on the MI16 airhorn set up, Try it by blowing an airline down the feed pipe, Does it toot now?

Try the compressor by unplugging the air outlet pipe & feeling for the blast of air when the horn button is pressed.

I think you will find the compressor has had it, Lack of use & lack of light machine oil.
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

Thread Information