sat nav>
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: sat nav>

Default sat nav>

whats the general consensus on these new in car satelite navigation thingameebobs.
    i know a melways is cheaper but i like the idea of a pleasent female voice telling me what to do and where to go[so whats new].
    would be a boon if your in a strange town and not knowing where to go.[canberra comes to mind]
    i think though ill wait till the price drops a bit and wait till they have a few bugs ironed out.-BAZZ

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    whats the general consensus on these new in car satelite navigation thingameebobs.
    i know a melways is cheaper but i like the idea of a pleasent female voice telling me what to do and where to go[so whats new].
    would be a boon if your in a strange town and not knowing where to go.[canberra comes to mind]
    i think though ill wait till the price drops a bit and wait till they have a few bugs ironed out.-BAZZ
    I have a Navman PIN... and it is a little slow. For longer drives it is fine, but for shorter trips it can be a difficult bastard to find Satellites. For inner city... For longer drives...
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by ashvsaod
    I have a Navman PIN... and it is a little slow. For longer drives it is fine, but for shorter trips it can be a difficult bastard to find Satellites. For inner city... For longer drives...
    The 206GTi has a metalic windscreen and the pop-up patch antenna on the NavMan Pin and iCN 510/620/630/635/650 will not work the best through it, you need an external antenna (or at least one on the inside that sits on the non-metalisized area).

As for which one to get ... well IMHO (and I've been researching for a while) the Garmin 276C is the best .. combine this with the City Navigator V5 software (which I'm running on PC, V6 is now available) you can do 10,000 waypoints, 50+ pre programmed routes, mark out special POI and upload to your GPS. The package costs about $2000, and the 276C you can move out of your car (has inbuilt battery, not all have).

Having said this .... the Navman iCN510 is the one I'm more likely to get .. why? Well it's smaller (who wants to carry around yet another bulky thing - the garmin is larger), it has built in speaker (the Garmin has a Cig lighter speaker), the V3 navigation and optional 3D view is easy to follow (much preferred by my wife, whereas the topdown view I'm happy with), the mounts are cheaper and easier to install, the Navman uses standard SD cards for memory (Garmin using proprietry cards). Sure it has less waypoints, is not waterproof (the Garmin is waterproof to 1M for 30 minutes), but the touch screen, ease to search for address (a pain on the Garmin), dragable maps, and optional remote mean it'll probably win out (and at sub $900, 1/2 the price of the Garmin 276C). The garmin is a more professional unit (can do trackback and marine charts), A friend puts all the fixed speed cameras and red light cameras into his .. it warns him when about 300m away from one.

What's wrong with a Garmin Street Pilot and the Navman 620-650 series ... no built in batteries, have to plug in 12V everytime - therefor not good when on foot navigating around new cities.

Johnny Appleseed is good for GPS.
    http://www.ja-gps.com.au/

And for car PC's (that can do TV/DVD and GPS etc etc) check out
    http://www.autotreka.com/

More links here.
    http://www.gpsvehiclenavigation.com/GPS/links.php?cat=3

Let us know if you find out more.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

O2 XDA running copilot, and destinator 3 with remote bluetooth GPS works for me. Try Mitch at www.gpsoz.com.au for plenty of info from a local bloke.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

XTC

After having the Navman iCN510 for a while I can say for portability it's pretty damn neat (top jacket pocket stuff) ...

But for $900-$1000 I think this is probably even better (if somewhat harder to carry around).

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/garmin_c320.htm

The c320 has the added advantage of City Navigator v6 ... lets you plan anything on the PC and upload the trip to the Garmin .. turn for turn ... you can save mutilple trips. .. and the v6 software also allows exports it routes that go straight into Google Earth app for fly-overs !!!

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Default MITAC 138 with Destinator software

Greetings - I use the Destinator Software in my PDA, and found that it has a lot more in the way of country roads than the software that Garmin uses. I tested this by comparing an address that I know of in the tiny Victorian town of Quambatook - the Garmin software just displayed the main road in and out of town, whilst the Destinator had all the streets and address points in the town. To get around the problem of the metallised windscreen on my C2, I use a bluetooth GPS which is blu-tacced onto the "open" area of the windscreen near the mirror.

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/mitac_mio136.aspx

Mitac have released a very neat little GPS unit which comes pre loaded with Destinator software...the link above should take you to it.

Cheers
    Tony - '04 C2 - Black
    '02 Triumph Sprint ST
    '05 Vespa PX200e

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Nil Time
    Greetings - I use the Destinator Software in my PDA, and found that it has a lot more in the way of country roads than the software that Garmin uses.
    Garmin have fixed that now .. you used to have City Navigator v5 and Metro Guide* ... but Metro Guide was a PITA as it didn't do auto routing (bad) ... and you have to swap between products. Now Metroguide and City Navigator are combined in City Navigator v6 (just released at the beginning of June). So you can route all country roads, tracks and even 4WD trails ! (and see bycycle/walking routes as well by the looks of it).

Too bad I've just read the c320 doesn't allow routes to be uploaded from the PC (even though City Navigator v6 does these) .. you need to buy a Garmin Street Pilot or 276C or Quest.

I'll grab a screen shot of Quambatook when I get back to my other PC ... to see what it now has. As a $350 upgrade it's not cheap, but well worth it if you have the hardware.

- xTc -

* No Asanka ... Metroguide will not help you be more metro then you already are !!

Now this is a .sig

XTC

Default Quambatook

Attached are three PDF's from City Navigator v6.

The first is an overall type view .. the second is a small zoom level to see the other smaller streets ... it's fully routable .. so James to Tittybong St via a few others is no problem. And the printed out route instructions is the third PDF.

- xTc -
    Attached Files Attached Files

Now this is a .sig

Default Garmin have caught up!

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    Attached are three PDF's from City Navigator v6.

The first is an overall type view .. the second is a small zoom level to see the other smaller streets ... it's fully routable .. so James to Tittybong St via a few others is no problem. And the printed out route instructions is the third PDF.

- xTc -
    Great Stuff!

I guess that the folks at Ja GPS did not have metroguide loaded onto their V5 software.

The maps are very good quality, too!

Cheers

Tony
    Tony - '04 C2 - Black
    '02 Triumph Sprint ST
    '05 Vespa PX200e

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Nil Time
    I guess that the folks at Ja GPS did not have metroguide loaded onto their V5 software.
    MetroGuide is a pain .. it doesn't do routing (and you have to keep swapping between CitNav v5 and Metroguide), but at least it had most country towns ... CitNav v6 is a much better product now (combining the two).

Any other obscure town people want me to check out ?

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information