Front Strut Brace for 205
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Front Strut Brace for 205

Can anyone tell me if I can access a front strut brace for my GTI 205 in Australia? I know you can get them from the UK but if I can get one in Aussie that would be good. I need one that with a standard air cleaner setup.
    Thanks David.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by 350manx
    Can anyone tell me if I can access a front strut brace for my GTI 205 in Australia? I know you can get them from the UK but if I can get one in Aussie that would be good. I need one that with a standard air cleaner setup.
    Thanks David.

yes there are 3 companies that make a strut brace for the 205 gti.
    whiteline,omp and sparco.
    sparco is the easiest one to get in oz.they deliver to your door!
    there is 2 front strut braces for the 205 gti one for the top and one for the bottom.
    last quote was $255 each.
    sparco australia-02 47351344.
    please post price if changed-BAZZ

Bazz,

You're a legend. Many thanks. I believe there is also a lower brace. Is this right? Just how strong are 205s in the front - I get the impressions I really wouldn't like to hit anything!!!

David.

Bazz,

You're a legend. Many thanks. I believe there is also a lower brace. Is this right? Just how strong are 205s in the front - I get the impressions I really wouldn't like to hit anything!!!

David.

they are actually pretty strong.usually though the windscreen cracks on front impact.
    i had mine 3 mnths and went sailing up the arse of a cop car divvy van[there fault]at about 25-30 k's and was surprised at how little damage there was.
    strut brace is not meant to strengthen rather than make more rigid for hard high speed turns without 'give' from the front steering or suspension but you already knew this -
    go for it-BAZZ

350manx
    There is a company in sydney who will custom make any brace, for any car (aslong as its feasable). They are local and reasonably priced. www.whiteline.com.au

- Chris
    ... ptui!

al

Bazz,
    I get the impressions I really wouldn't like to hit anything!!!

David.
    After a w***** in a scooby took out the front of my sisters 205si (when he was running a red) i was really suprised by how well it dealt with it.

She was fine, and the car came back as good as new... (albeit carrying a $5k + repair bill for the insurance company)

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    strut brace is not meant to strengthen rather than make more rigid for hard high speed turns without 'give' from the front steering or suspension but you already knew this -
    go for it-BAZZ
    Yeah Bazz did know that but I was curious about just how strong they are. My son drives a Renault 20TS - now that's a battleship compared to the 205 me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by al
    After a w***** in a scooby took out the front of my sisters 205si (when he was running a red) i was really suprised by how well it dealt with it.

She was fine, and the car came back as good as new... (albeit carrying a $5k + repair bill for the insurance company)
    Nice to know on three counts. Sisters OK, 205 back on the road and they appear to be stronger than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    350manx
    did you know motorbikes have terrible crash safety standards.
    Chris - PAINFULLY aware of this. David.

Yeah Bazz did know that but I was curious about just how strong they are. My son drives a Renault 20TS - now that's a battleship compared to the 205 me thinks.

spose its like comparing a 205 to a 504?ive never seen under the bonnet or really looked at a ren 20 but my old 504's were built like a tank.
    -BAZZ

i reckon though that if you got top and bottom strut bracing it couldnt help but strengthen the front .especially if you were hit at the side at the front wheel.-BAZZ

i reckon though that if you got top and bottom strut bracing it couldnt help but strengthen the front .especially if you were hit at the side at the front wheel.-BAZZ
    Great minds Bazz - Great minds. My thoughts are that if you are hit in the front area in any other position that directly head on a strut brace would surely transfer some of the impact across to the other wheel tower to assist in reducing the crumple.

So there are bottom braces available in Australia too?

al

Aren't they designed to crumple though?
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Aren't they designed to crumple though?
    Yep.. That's why I said REDUCE I want the crumbling to stop just before I'm impaled by the steering column!!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

spose its like comparing a 205 to a 504?ive never seen under the bonnet or really looked at a ren 20 but my old 504's were built like a tank.
    -BAZZ

most 504's i have seen for the last 10 years or about that that have had a hit in the front give way pretty easy in the chassis rails

i suppose fatigue is starting to set into them more so these days

the thing to remember with 504's is if you are going to hit something try to aim away from the two little holes under the bumper where the chassis rails end

they tend to buckle up near the firewall i have found if they are hit or about 1/2 way along in the engine bay

always worthy of a check when you are looking at one to see if you can see any ripples in the rails

i have thrown a few bodies away over the years where they have damage there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

al

Yep.. That's why I said REDUCE I want the crumbling to stop just before I'm impaled by the steering column!!
    Fair enough i guess... In less severe incidents (ie: ones unlikely to create a steering column kabab) the crumpling absorbs some of the impact of the contact. If the front is stiffened up lots, surely any collisions are likely to throw the driver forward harder though?

Looking at this again, if you get hit hard enough to get stabbed by the column, you've definately got problems...
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Ok, we got onto accident safety how?

For a frontal, the strut-brace won't provide anything but more ammunition for the forces involved to toss around. For a side on impact, well.. the door has the safety of a coke-can, albeit with a slight bit of metal pole down it (looks like a bicycle frame tube).

If you hit the side of the wheel hard enough, the strut will pull it's top mount off. I've bent a top end before with a slight impact, and there's nothing a strut brace will do to save that. Those three little bolts aren't up for big shear forces, and neither is that piece of body-work.

So with regards to the safety aspect of the strut-brace.. you're still riding in a very snug fitting coke can, it just has two more metal poles through it.

But you should notice some more immediacy in the steering, so the performance gain is worth it.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

[QUOTE=Cubits]

If you hit the side of the wheel hard enough, the strut will pull it's top mount off. I've bent a top end before with a slight impact, and there's nothing a strut brace will do to save that. Those three little bolts aren't up for big shear forces, and neither is that piece of body-work.

So with regards to the safety aspect of the strut-brace.. you're still riding in a very snug fitting coke can, it just has two more metal poles through it.

QUOTE]

A very valid point about the reliance on just three small bolts on either side. Now I wonder if I can adapt something larger like the wheel studs of an AB 160 International Truck, which will require some additional steel around the top of the tower to accommodate the larger holes, which I could probably do with some offcuts from an old plough disc but I don't want to weld in there as it will ruin the paint so I might be able rivet them on using some scarifier tyne bolts.........you can see where I'm going with this can't you? The end result would be something agricultural requiring light truck tyres to carry it around and it just may defeat the original purpose somewhat. And yes...I have a farm.

last quote was $255 each.
    sparco australia-02 47351344.
    please post price if changed-BAZZ
    Bazz, Just contacted the above and they don't have them in Australia but can bring them in - waiting time about 6 weeks - cost somewhere between $200.00 and $250.00

Bazz, Just contacted the above and they don't have them in Australia but can bring them in - waiting time about 6 weeks - cost somewhere between $200.00 and $250.00

6 weeks???what are these people up to.have they not heard of 'air freight'.
    well the price is about the same then as when i last enquired.
    have you ordered?are you getting the bottom as well?-BAZZ

6 weeks???what are these people up to.have they not heard of 'air freight'.
    well the price is about the same then as when i last enquired.
    have you ordered?are you getting the bottom as well?-BAZZ
    Nah haven't yet - but probably will via Ebay. Price with Air freight was quoted at about $300.00 possibly more. I have seen them new on Ebay - Lower one at aprox A$80.(buy now price) and upper one currently sitting at about A$125.00 but still open to bids. But then you freight on them but could work out a cheaper alternative.

hi guys, a few months back i enquired about getting a strut brace for one of my 205s... and bazz was kind enough to provide me with some contact numbers. unfortunetaly, i never got around to calling around.

i'd be interested in a group nuy if others were keen, now.

and peter t mentioned somewhere on this forum, he could " manufacture" these strut braces... be great to hear from him if he has any updates .

current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

al

Do sparco and the like do braces for 405s? Do the 405s benefit from them as much as the 205s?

I drove a mates 205 in the UK with one and i reckon that they are worth the minimal investment...
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Well if you are going to fit a top strut brace i think you also need to fit group N top mounts too. Their is no point in bracing the two turrets, if you are still running the standard fairly soft rubbers in the top mounts, if you put a pry bar in the top mounts they will move far more than the braced suspensiuon turrets will. Just my two pence worth.

Josh
    Miami Blue 205 GTi limited edition with Skip Brown 1.9S conversion Full leather interior, Skip Brown phase 2 suspension, Quaife ATB LSD, Grp N mounts, Grp N Exhaust, GTi 6 Brakes running Mintex 1144's and Goodridge Braided Hoses. Emerald M3D ECU to come soon.......

Quote Originally Posted by Super Josh
    Well if you are going to fit a top strut brace i think you also need to fit group N top mounts too. Their is no point in bracing the two turrets, if you are still running the standard fairly soft rubbers in the top mounts, if you put a pry bar in the top mounts they will move far more than the braced suspensiuon turrets will. Just my two pence worth.

Josh
    Great information Josh - I didn't know anything about Group N mounts - don't underestimate the value of two pence! Interested in being the Aussie agent for a group buy of strut braces for us guys over here? Would be interested to know how many 205 owners tuning in.

David.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information