(Wind) noise in 505s
  • Register
  • Help
    Gus

(Wind) noise in 505s

How much wind noise can be expected in a 505 at speed (100km/h+ in my case)?

Advertisement

My car has a significant amount of noise from the what sounds like the top rear corners of the front doors, and possibly from somewhere further forward on the passenger side.

I'm told the door noise can be to do with the way the doors were hung. I take it that this is adjusted by unscrewing and moving the pegs the doors close onto. Are there any hard and fast rules about what to aim for when doing this, or should I just use trial and error?

People have also talked about the door seals, and the inner seal on each window (around the glass.) Are either likely to be significant contributors to the noise? What can be done?

nJm
    This is slightly off topic, but does anyone else with a series 1 505 find their door mirrors wobble around in the wind when driving at 80km/h or more? I think a lot of my wind noise comes from the mirrors and also the top rear corners of the front doors. My driver's door has sunk a bit for sure.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    when driving along put your hand up and try to pull the top of the door frame in a bit and see if the noise goes away
    if so then wind down the window. put knee on door whilst putting hands over the top of the window frame and bend towards you a little.then test drive
    repeat if need be
    i find this is a pretty good fix for wind noise
    either that or buy new rubbers
    you don't have to move the frame very much to achieve quieter motoring
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Mine seems to have a "normal" amount of wind noise when driving at speeds around 100kph. Then again, I had a look at my door seals and they all seem to be in excellent condition, so I guess they could be the reason for the excess noise if they weren't up to scratch.

I'd be reluctant to adjust the doors by only adjusting the door pegs. I remember trying to align the doors on my dad's Falcon, the workshop manual stating that if the doors had dropped, the pegs shouldn't be adjusted to compensate for it as that would be masking the real problem - the door hinges should be adjusted first. I don't know how hard it would be to adjust the hinges on the 505 though, I don't remember seeing any bolts on them.

does anyone else with a series 1 505 find their door mirrors wobble around in the wind when driving at 80km/h or more?
    My don't, they're pretty solid. Fair amount of wind noise though. Yours are probably loose or something...

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

normally if the doors in a 504/505/604 have dropped the roll pins in the hinges need replacing or they are about to fall out
    i have replaced quites a few of these pins and the doors return to normal again
    quite often you will find that the pins are working their way out of the hinge as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!
    i have replaced quites a few of these pins and the doors return to normal again
    unquote

My 505 and 604 need the bottom pins replaced - any special tricks to this?

Cheers,
    Cheers,
    Brodie

'78 604 SL (LPG) ...........for sale ..sold
    '81 604 SL (spares) .......for sale ..sold
    '85 505 GTi ..................for sale ..sold
    '94 405 SRDT............... for sale ..sold
    '07 307 HDi hatch
    '07 307 HDi Wagon

brodie
    patience and patience
    a spare pair of hands to hold the door
    just knock the pin up enough to grab it with a pair of sidecutters and lever the pin out then just knock the new one in
    bottom pins go up to remove
    it is normally the bottom pins that need replcing more then the top ones
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information