Comments on a 307 HDi
  • Register
  • Help

Default Comments on a 307 HDi

How do these cars rate ? (4 door hatch)

Someone in my office is looking at buying one and wanted to get the "users" views rather than the salesman talk.

Any views good or bad .......

Advertisement
    Quick, to the Poojet

Hi,

Just completed 40,000 km in my 307 HDI. The car has been built to be competitive in the small hatch market and as a result I think some of the Peugeot "quality build" from years gone by is definitely lacking. I have had no mechanical problems but some annoying little things such as the squab in the rear of the drivers seat falling out twice, the plastic knob on the handbrake "de-chroming", and the plastic undertray which is fixed with plastic screws / clips coming lose. All fixed under warranty. These are minor things but demonstrate what I mean when talking about the build quality. I know of others with similar complaints, but I have heard very little of mechanical problems with the manual gearbox and diesel motor. I know some complain about the triptonic auto gearboxes in the petrol models.

It is a good car to drive and really comes into it's own on a longer trip. I get 850 km at tank around town and 1,000 - 1,100 km a tank on the highway at 100 km per hour. I am a country driver and on my few trips to the city I can imagine getting a little tired of the manual gearbox and diesel motor in the city traffic. Not that it is necessarily slower off the mark but that you have to give it a fair boot-ful to keep up and I would imagine your fuel economy would fade rapidly.

It is not a sports car but handles well, will cruise easily at higher speed if that is what you want but again your fuel econmy fades. My son calls me and "old fart" of a driver and that may give you some indication of the reasons I quite enjoy the car.

If your friend does purchase one make sure she gives it plenty of revs during the first 2000 kms up hill and taking foot of the gas down hill to get those rings bedded in to get longevity out of the motor.

Hope this helps

Peter J.
    PJ

nJm

Peugeot is bringing out all new HDI engines this year so they might want to wait for that. I'd also recommend taking a quick look at the new VW Golf TDI models. They might not look as nice as the 307 but I personally prefer them to the Pug.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    Peugeot is bringing out all new HDI engines this year so they might want to wait for that. I'd also recommend taking a quick look at the new VW Golf TDI models. They might not look as nice as the 307 but I personally prefer them to the Pug.
    This is the Pug forum what are you doing recommending VW's?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by samarai
    This is the Pug forum what are you doing recommending VW's?!?!?!
    The VW's are quite nice looking, but again, you can't get them in a 3 door in Australia... what are VW thinking ???

Thread Information