Wiring Loom
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Wiring Loom

Default Wiring Loom

Just wondering if anyone has tried to deloom a S16 and how hard it is?

Advertisement

I would like to remove all redundant wiring in the car...

I've got a NZ model with basically nothing in it.

No sunroof, cruise, no factory alarm, no cd stacker... also if anyone might know how much weight i might save...

I would be inclined to suggest that the most weight you would lose will happen to you personally if you've never tackled a wiring harness on one of these before; sweating from nervous tension and stress when reassembling.
    We recently did a retro fit of an air/con on a BX16V and in the process, it required wiring to be added as well as removed. If I can find a pic of that with the dash out later today, I'll post it. The actual weight you would save would be minimal and hardly worth the potential aggro. I have a son who fits up engine management systems and security systems on show cars and I see a lot of disembowelled cars as far as wiring goes and I can assure you that the weight loss would be greater if you jogged around the block every morning. The job of removing wiring also could create some very strange problems due to disturbing wiring in certain places that could require the entire job to be repeated to rectify the problem. When they made up that saying "let sleeping dogs lie" it was this kind of thing they had in mind.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

we have removed a wiring loom from my friends mitsy and weight it; it came to 7kg

5 of that became redudant as we are converting it to a race car...

i've had a bit of experance play with looms before... was just wondering if anyone had on here...

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL
    Just wondering if anyone has tried to deloom a S16 and how hard it is?

I would like to remove all redundant wiring in the car...

I've got a NZ model with basically nothing in it.

No sunroof, cruise, no factory alarm, no cd stacker... also if anyone might know how much weight i might save...
    5Kg in wiring!!! thats nothing!! try these on.....
    Firstly remove the spare wheel and the cradle, theres 20Kg. Carry one of those self sealing-inflating cans if your worried about punctures. The next heaviest thing are the seats.
    S16 seats weigh about 25KG each!!! so a pair of race buckets will be a total of 12Kg (6kg for each seat).
    Next is that carpet you wont beleive how heavy its is but when i had mine out with the rear seats it was over 40KG!!!!......
    Next is the roof ligning, thats 10Kg alone and made a big difference as the further weight is from the center of gravity the bigger of an impact it makes on handling.
    After that its little things, like the 5Kg of sound-deadning mat on the under isde of the bonnet, the jack and brace (3Kg). The coil cover over on the rocker cover is another 2Kg..... it all adds up.
    BTW, the rear glass is close to 20Kg... so..... roll cage and plexi-glass time. - Chris

ps, yes i did most of those things to my S16...
    ... ptui!

wow i didnt realise some of the components weight that much chris.
    Do you know how much the rear seats in the S16 are?

Did you end up putting your S16 on a weightbridge after it was stripped? If so how much did it weight?

On a side not does anyone know how much a standard gti6 cyclone rim weights?
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    5Kg in wiring!!! thats nothing!! try these on.....
    Firstly remove the spare wheel and the cradle, theres 20Kg. Carry one of those self sealing-inflating cans if your worried about punctures. The next heaviest thing are the seats.
    S16 seats weigh about 25KG each!!! so a pair of race buckets will be a total of 12Kg (6kg for each seat).
    Next is that carpet you wont beleive how heavy its is but when i had mine out with the rear seats it was over 40KG!!!!......
    Next is the roof ligning, thats 10Kg alone and made a big difference as the further weight is from the center of gravity the bigger of an impact it makes on handling.
    After that its little things, like the 5Kg of sound-deadning mat on the under isde of the bonnet, the jack and brace (3Kg). The coil cover over on the rocker cover is another 2Kg..... it all adds up.
    BTW, the rear glass is close to 20Kg... so..... roll cage and plexi-glass time. - Chris

ps, yes i did most of those things to my S16...
    i've started to strip the sound deading from the car and the carpet will go... i'll try and only take the seats out on race days... they make good seats for pit crew (who get a lift to the track with you) while you blast around... I'll be attackingt the rest of the car over time, so don't ya worry i'm aiming for a sub 900kg car... dont know if it's do able but ya thats the goal...
    Last edited by DRTDVL; 30th May 2005 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG
    wow i didnt realise some of the components weight that much chris.
    Do you know how much the rear seats in the S16 are?

Did you end up putting your S16 on a weightbridge after it was stripped? If so how much did it weight?

On a side not does anyone know how much a standard gti6 cyclone rim weights?
    It all adds up. I used my local weigh bridge and it wasn't particularly accurate as the operator admited he'd seen it out by about 5kg... but it gave me a figure. I saved over 100Kg, but that was before the cage, which is about 12Kg...
    The spare and the seats make the biggest difference. I had full leather rear seats, but never weighed them on their own. Id guess theid weigh a bit more than 1/2 leather, but no more than 15kg in total, its just foam and some sheet metal really.
    Seat belts are also quite heavy, I never weigh'd these, but remember putting these back in when I sold my car, i though they were quite heavy. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL
    i've started to strip the sound deading from the car and the carpet will go... i'll try and only take the seats out on race days... they make good seats for pit crew (who get a lift to the track with you) while you blast around...
    - Chris

ps aproove!
    ... ptui!

Thread Information