About to take the plunge
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default About to take the plunge

Hi everyone

Advertisement

I think I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first Pug.

I'm looking at the 206XT, only cause I don't want another 2 door car.

Before I make the final leap I would love some feedback from the experts here on there opinions.

Lots of people are trying to discourage me from buying as they say running costs and servicing are really expensive. I only do about 10,000kms a year.

So, are they that expensive to own? We only have one Peugeot dealer here and have been told that I can ONLY get serviced at Peugeot, is this correct? Or can a very good mechanic do the servicing.

I am so excited about the prospect of buying one but so many people are warning me about the costs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Well, I've had my 206 GTi 180 for close to 12 months & other than a new set of tyres, it's cost me $207 for servicing. I've done 32,000kms. I don't take the car to Peugeot for servicing, but to a licensed mechanic who does the log book service. As long as the mechanic is licensed & does the full log book service it should not void the warranty (in fact i've had warranty work completed since). Being told you can only take the car to one place for servicing could possibly be an offence under the trade practices act. It's restriction of trade. I'd check this out with the A.C.C.C.

By the way, I've found that my Peugeots are generally less expensive to maintain than some lower priced Japanese models!!! Although, taking the car to a dealer for servicing carries a hefty premium (Peugeot quoted me $375 for the service that I had done for $207 elsewhere)! And, I've found with both my pugs, very little goes wrong with them mechanically. My old 306 has 190,000kms on the clock & has not required any major work. I owned it between 62,000 & 165,000kms & all that had to be done (other than regular servicing) was change the brake rotors & the harmonic balance. Each cost about $400

I've had my 206 for just over 2 1/2 years and have done 52,000k. I've had it serviced at the dealer every time and no service (remember these are only done every 20,000k) has cost me over $400. While it seems like a lot in one go my previous car was japanese and was costing me about $100 every 5,000k for a service. So it works out just about the same.

Running costs wise - the 1.6 XT will be pretty good as the listed fuel consumption for the XT is about 7.8 l/100k (for the auto) which is comparable to any smallish car. If you take it out to the highway that will drop to something like 5.4

Go on - buy it you know you want to!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    Lots of people are trying to discourage me from buying as they say running costs and servicing are really expensive. I only do about 10,000kms a year.

So, are they that expensive to own? We only have one Peugeot dealer here and have been told that I can ONLY get serviced at Peugeot, is this correct? Or can a very good mechanic do the servicing.
    The cost is a falicy .. in my experience parts* are no more expensive then the Toyota's I've owned. And 1 year servicing is a bonus.

Any place that can offically stamp and do a handbook service is OK, and does not effect your warrenty (dispite what the car makers want you to believe) BUT the Peugeot dealer maybe one of the few with the correct computer diagnostics to check some things and do software uploads.

* part wait can be longer in some cases though.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I've found with parts that something that are cheap on the say toyotas might cost more in the pugs, but it goes both ways, some pug parts are cheaper than some toyota parts...

depends on the part really...

If any repairer tells you they're difficult/different to service, you're talking to a "parts fitter" not a "mechanic" so simply don't use that repairer because the ones that will rip you off are always the same, they all read the same script and would have ripped you off even if you fronted up with a Commodore a Toyota or a Kia.
    French cars in the main are front wheel drive (as are most other small cars these days) have an east west engine (so did the Mini back in the '60's) and have OHC engines (Toyota started using them in the early 6 cylinder Crowns back in about 1968) so where's all the problems?
    I live in a regional area, hours away from any dealer and I own Cits due to their simplicity to service and their cheap running costs in comparison to other makes. There's no way I could afford to run a Toyota or in particular a Ford these days for what it costs to keep our Cits on the road. There's 5 Cits and one Mitsu Lancer in our place and guess which costs the most to keep on the road???
    The bogey about running costs are usually spread by someone who has never owned one or by someone who was taken to the cleaners by a rip off repairer. In reality, if you use your head when getting it serviced, it should cost less not more than most cars on the market today.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Its why I have always driven Renaults and Peugets - cheaper and easier to fix than Jap stuff by a long shot (important back in my poverty stricken uni days...). Have plenty of friends driving Jap/Holden/Ford etc and they all cost as much and usually more for parts and fixing. And none of them and have the style and driving enjoyment of a froggy car.

[QUOTE=Lizzie]
    QUOTE]

Lizzie,
    Although there is only one Peugeot dealer in town, there are other mechanics and workshops who are arguably much more competent and affordable. Bill MacNamee of the Peugeot Association or Alpine Motors in Philip are but two of your options.
    Neither will void your warranty regardless of what the dealer claims.
    Best of luck with the purchase.
    Michael

Tadpole

Thanks everyone, you have all convinced me.

Now I have to decide whether I should buy new or used. Have hunted around a little on the net and found a few used that would suit. Am willing to go to Sydney to buy.

What's a decent price for a used 206XT? The price varies so much over the used car sites. Don't want anything older than 2002 though and must be under 50,000kms.

Oh this is getting too hard!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    Thanks everyone, you have all convinced me.

Now I have to decide whether I should buy new or used. Have hunted around a little on the net and found a few used that would suit. Am willing to go to Sydney to buy.

What's a decent price for a used 206XT? The price varies so much over the used car sites. Don't want anything older than 2002 though and must be under 50,000kms.

Oh this is getting too hard!!!!!
    i've seen some 206 XT's go for as little as $16k for 2002 models, though i don't know the exact amount of kilometres. Check out www.carsales.com.au, www.drive.com.au, and www.tradingpost.com.au

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    i've seen some 206 XT's go for as little as $16k for 2002 models, though i don't know the exact amount of kilometres.
    For less then $20k there are 2001/02 GTi's often for sale .. heard of a 2003GTi going for $19K. Obviously in most cases dealer cars will be more expensive then private sale.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

'99 306 XSi Black Metallic

you mean this http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/pe...pp=10&d=0&nv=1

but joke over i don't think it would suit anyone

Tadpole

Oh my goodness, that pink thing is just hideous.

I love cars that have been done up and modded but that is just shocking.

And why would anyone want to do something like that on the base model?
    Something like that should be done on a top of the range.

I think I'll give that one a miss!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    Well, I've had my 206 GTi 180 for close to 12 months & other than a new set of tyres, it's cost me $207 for servicing. I've done 32,000kms. I don't take the car to Peugeot for servicing, but to a licensed mechanic who does the log book service. As long as the mechanic is licensed & does the full log book service it should not void the warranty (in fact i've had warranty work completed since).
    Im interested to know how did you alter 20k reminder on the pug to 40k when it came to 20k service.

Am i to expect 30k from my p7000's before they need changing, (bear in mind not spining the tyres and hard driving).

What tyres are you using now?
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by blackster
    Im interested to know how did you alter 20k reminder on the pug to 40k when it came to 20k service.
    It's in the manual how to reset the service indicator. Although I have seen on e-bay someone is flogging a way to do the same thing for $40 or so.

The main reason I take my car to the dealer is so that the diagnostics can be read properly and software updates can be done
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    For less then $20k there are 2001/02 GTi's often for sale .. heard of a 2003GTi going for $19K. Obviously in most cases dealer cars will be more expensive then private sale.

- xTc -

buying my 2003 gti138 tomorrow for 18500

Quote Originally Posted by Fro-Daddy
    buying my 2003 gti138 tomorrow for 18500
    that's a good price

excuse my ignorance, but what's a gti138?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    excuse my ignorance, but what's a gti138?
    a normal gti i.e. not a 180. Aparently it must have 138hp

oh, I see. And is that all they cost? approx. $18.5K? Wow. spend $5-7K on a quaife and some engine mods and you've got a weapon.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

everyone on here seems to think that if you mod your pug itll lose all its power

but ill prolly do it anyways

oh, I see. And is that all they cost? approx. $18.5K? Wow. spend $5-7K on a quaife and some engine mods and you've got a weapon.

The Quaife is definately something that I'd do if I was going to do more serious track work in the car. But as it is I cant justify the $$

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    The Quaife is definately something that I'd do if I was going to do more serious track work in the car. But as it is I cant justify the $$
    Do it now before you're married !!! hahahaha

As for upgrades, I'd be finding a PreMux 206 ... 1999-2000 and getting Quad Throttle bodies, nice sticky rubber and plenty of track time ..

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

$18.5k is the cheapest i've seen... when we were looking for the 306 we bought we were offerd an 01 model gti138 for 19990

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information