Who messes with a man's Pug? Really?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Who messes with a man's Pug? Really?

Well. Hi. I've been a non-posting member of this forum for quite some time now, and have learnt many valuable things whilst browsing this fantastic forum. My need for posting finally came last night when some d**kless piece of s**t attempted to steal my beloved 1984 505 SR.

Now, I know that many of you are thinking "yeah, it's only an old 505" but it's been my car for about 6 years, I learnt to drive in it, and it's been in my family for about 12 years. Hell, it's even got a name, jointly thought up by my girlfriend and I: Harriet The Chariot!

Anyways... Whoever attempted to steal Harriet succeeded in opening the drivers-side lock (without damaging it too much.. crunches a bit, but still locks and unlocks ok) and then started on the barrel of the ignition. After trying for ages it seems, they left, leaving Harriet unlocked and all alone. I went to pick her up this morning, and have since discovered the interior of the ignition lock is totally rooted. And I mean rooted; I can put the key in, but can't turn it AT ALL! So, I now have to pay for a tow on Monday or somehow work out how to start it without using the ignition. Any suggestions?!

Disclaimer: I in no way endorse illegal activies (like pinching pugs) but I'm essentially asking for advice on the loom and/or how to hotwire my model of 505. If you're worried about posting such info, please feel free to email me at kfischmann(at)gmail.com

Advertisement

Many thanks

So I take it that you're not trying to steal a 505... Because, if you are, that's a lot of effort to go to!

Good Morning Karloff,

A big part of the problem you are going to have even if you hot wire it is getting around the steering lock. They are virtually imposible to break!. I'd suggest you will need a tow, I have cut them out with an angle grinder before, then you can just use the switch part to turn it on and off.

Should you require another ignition switch I have a couple of good ones here!

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Well... do I have a story.

Whoever tried to jack my car had no bloody idea what they were doing it would seem.. in the end, I got desperate and jammed a flat-head screwdriver into the ignition lock and tapped away for a while with a hammer :-S Surprisingly, it worked.. I was able to put my key back into the lock and turn it! So, I got it to a mechanic (French Car Car in Kingston, Tasmania... fantastic bloke) and it's now been serviced and the ignition lock replaced. So thats all good.

Only problem now; I can open the drivers side door lock with a screwdriver, and the key works maybe 50% of the time :-( I don't suppose anybody here has an exterior door lock going cheap for a 505 SR by any chance?! Come to think of it, the right rear assembly for the parking brake is stuffed too, if anybody has one they'd like to part with for a price...

Quote Originally Posted by Karloff
    Well... do I have a story.

Whoever tried to jack my car had no bloody idea what they were doing it would seem.. in the end, I got desperate and jammed a flat-head screwdriver into the ignition lock and tapped away for a while with a hammer :-S Surprisingly, it worked.. I was able to put my key back into the lock and turn it! So, I got it to a mechanic (French Car Car in Kingston, Tasmania... fantastic bloke) and it's now been serviced and the ignition lock replaced. So thats all good.

Only problem now; I can open the drivers side door lock with a screwdriver, and the key works maybe 50% of the time :-( I don't suppose anybody here has an exterior door lock going cheap for a 505 SR by any chance?! Come to think of it, the right rear assembly for the parking brake is stuffed too, if anybody has one they'd like to part with for a price...
    G'day
    Surely all of the locks could be replaced if you go to the bother of replacing one, to save re-keying?
    While it was mentioned though, what sort of operation is French Car Care? I had heard about Craig Salmon (I'm sure that's the bloke's name). Does he stock many parts, or just services french cars?
    Andrew.
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

Quote Originally Posted by Karloff
    Funny you should mention it but I have two sets of ignition and front door locks with keys if they would help. From 82 mod SRDT and GR
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

while a few of us were in canbera recently for the rally of canberrra,someone broke into cam85 205 gti.they stole his stereo amp and threw all his clothes around on the road.
    he was parked on the road outside of the caravan park.
    sensless destruction by someone either in desperation for money or just plain boredom .
    -BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by ajpolden
    While it was mentioned though, what sort of operation is French Car Care? I had heard about Craig Salmon (I'm sure that's the bloke's name). Does he stock many parts, or just services french cars?
    Andrew.
    Yep, thats the blokes name He seems to stock mainly maintenance items, and he wrecks a few Pugs here and there as well from what I have seen. I was actually with him when he was servicing/replacing the ignition lock last week, and he really seems to know his stuff. He originally trained with Citroen if my memory serves me correctly, and has been working with Frogs for about 25 years or so. Good bloke to have a yak to, not your average mechanic by that standard...

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    while a few of us were in canbera recently for the rally of canberrra,someone broke into cam85 205 gti.they stole his stereo amp and threw all his clothes around on the road.
    he was parked on the road outside of the caravan park.
    sensless destruction by someone either in desperation for money or just plain boredom .
    -BAZZ
    Some people are just plain stupid, either that or desparate for money like you said. I don't understand it... but it's the way things are unfortunately
    Last edited by Karloff; 7th June 2005 at 07:40 PM.

Thread Information