Hey all. Need some 205GTi myths busted
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Mav
    Tadpole

Icon3 Hey all. Need some 205GTi myths busted

Ok, maybe the title was a little off but its all I could think of at 2AM.

Advertisement

Can someone please tell me what the average performance figures of a S3 (Maybe S2) GTi are? I drive a 'stock as a rock' VS ute and although it is only 150odd kW I really like having a bit of grunt. I drive up the freeway in Adelaide almost every day and as some of you would know its pretty steep in some places. (Its great coming home through the winding hills every night! Take my mums Prelude, I'm set! )

Now, I know that the 205 is no WRC contender but I want some ability to move along. What 0-100 times are we looking at and how much difference would a pod filter, Gold 98 powerchip and exhaust (conservative, non rice type of course) really make?

I am sorry if you dislike me making another topic about this but I just want to set the record straight. I have heard of times ranging from 10 seconds flat to about 7.5, some on this site.

Regards,
    Andrew

First, pod filter and exhaust will give you no actual noticeable performance, but perceived performance will increase. :p

The powerchip may or may not do something if it gets the AF ratio's right... odds are it won't.

A UK spec, full fruit 128hp (or so they say), will hit 100 in a nip under eight seconds, certainly will on modern tyres. It's been tested by the likes of Evo and did something like a 7.8 back in it's day. Quarter mile times are around abouts 16 and a bit seconds, some quote lower, some higher.

I assume the catalysed version (our S3), with a quoted 122hp, wouldn't be too far behind, as the torque isn't down. Might lose a bit on the 400m dash with a slight lack of top end.

These cars do feel faster than they are though, and they launch incredibly solidly from any revs. You can usually emasculate integra's and whatnot because it's so easy to launch in comparison.

You'll really have fun in the hills though. These things can get face-bending levels of lateral grip, and will snap through a switchback like they were mid-engined.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Mav
    Tadpole

Thanks.

Powerchip quote the power going to a fraction over 100kW. This sound like a bit too much?

Is there any reason why the exhaust and air filter would not make a difference? It would have to be about the only car it wouldn't have an affect on! Is the standard exhaust that open?

The exhaust on the 205 is touted as being the best solution for the stock engine, as it doesn't lose mid range torque in favour of maybe 1-2kW of top end. It was tested against a lot of aftermarket exhaust and came out on top for overall performance.

Why mess with it if it works? It's one area where peugeot really nailed it.

Most people just put a higher flowing commodore cat on the thing to recover a hp or two. It also happens to be cheaper than fitting an official peugeot part, and it lets a bit more noise out. :p

A pod filter would be handier if the car wasn't running an AFM, as you could just bolt it onto the end of the throttle-body. When most people modify their cars to use a new ECU, or transplant an mi16, they go this route. On a stock 205, it just isn't worth the pratting around. The stock intake flows perfectly fine unless it has been damaged, and has a length that works well with the crappy, flappy AFM.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Totally agreed with just about everything that Cupids said. Your mums Prelude or whatever (not being nasty) will have no chance at all in leeping up with the 205 on the roads you talk about. A decent set of tyers, an LSD, and maby stiffer rear tortion bar and some stiffer shocks (Peugeot have great standard shocks as they come as are the springs) names like Koni (which i used to have on mine worked a treat) for shocks and eibach springs work well also. BUT you will have a stiff ride. As already stated the standard Air equipment and exhaust are great as they are. I replaced mine with an after market one and it did make a difference but only really up in the top end. Sounded great aswell.(exhaust that is) Alot of the comments on here are they type where people generally say that pugs are no good at straight line. They arent your normal traffic light car (although they arent that bad) but what really amazed me was the mid range torque and the in gear accelleration and sling shot out of corners. I had no idea when i bought my forst 205 a few years back what i bought until i read a few things about them. I bought a lemon, so look out of bring someone along that knows them if your loking at buying.

I reckon a good S3 205 will do about 7.5 to 100. And about 16ish 400m time.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mav
    Ok, maybe the title was a little off but its all I could think of at 2AM.

Can someone please tell me what the average performance figures of a S3 (Maybe S2) GTi are? I drive a 'stock as a rock' VS ute and although it is only 150odd kW I really like having a bit of grunt. I drive up the freeway in Adelaide almost every day and as some of you would know its pretty steep in some places. (Its great coming home through the winding hills every night! Take my mums Prelude, I'm set! )

Now, I know that the 205 is no WRC contender but I want some ability to move along. What 0-100 times are we looking at and how much difference would a pod filter, Gold 98 powerchip and exhaust (conservative, non rice type of course) really make?

I am sorry if you dislike me making another topic about this but I just want to set the record straight. I have heard of times ranging from 10 seconds flat to about 7.5, some on this site.

Regards,
    Andrew
    It's the sort of car that kw and 0-100 are not indicative of speed or fun. Look at the torque figures, not kw, and feel how perfectly matched the ratios are to the peak torque. The best mods for these cars don't involve power, but getting it down...LSD and good suspension make a world of difference and it's all about corner speed not grunt.Wait til you see just how quick you can corner in these things!
    205gti

Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    Why mess with it if it works? It's one area where peugeot really nailed it.
    Careful, you'll start upsetting people talking heretical stuff like that

Andrew: A nice S3 205 will have no problems at all eating up that freeway into Adelaide (it would have been even better before they fixed up the Devil's Elbow bit ), plus you'll have lots of fun surprising any unsuspecting VS ute drivers while you are at it.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Hey Andrew,
    In my series 2 205 Gti using a gtech, I record 7.8sec 0-100 & 16.9sec 400m. The only possible “performance” mods to the car I can think of are a pod filter & oil catch can. These would be negligible though.
    The standard computer chip seems to do a perfect job for a standard car. Even when almost flat out it produced a near perfect fuel/air ratio. Flatout went rich.
    -Will
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

Mav
    Tadpole

Thanks all.

Dont think I would be offened by your Prelude comments. I like the look, the handling and interior but not that much! Its a pretty decent car in the hills and I can really push it. Can't wait to see what a Peugeout will be like!

Even if I got a system only for the sound factor, I might consider it. I have heard quite a few pugs and they maybe just lack something.

Now, about suspension....whenever I hear the word 'Koni' I think $$$. How many dollars would you be thinking about here? From what you have said however, it is worth it.

Devils Elbow, we my friend I am too young to have driven on that nast piece of road but I have always been meaning to. Im off to town now so I guess I will check it out.

After all of this, I might just go for a 95ish 306.

Thanks for the help

I really like having a bit of grunt.
    Dude.. Take a 205 for a spin, you will be amazed at the sheer pull it can generate in any gear at any revs.

It may not look impressive on paper, but its sooooo nice when its at your fingertips.

and THEN you come to a corner...
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

THE peformance mod for an S3 is to change the diff. ratio from 3.62 to 3.94:1 (as fitted to S1 and S2). Leave the rest as is.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

hi drew,

as you obviously know there are heaps and heaps of threads re 205gti whatever. no amount of discussion,world wide car enthusiast community notiority, rally wins, performance car awards, blah blah blah, would come close to describing the 205gti. the only remedy would be to actually go for a blat in a sorted 205gti (regardless of series) on similar roads to the adelaide hills. then tell us what you think, and we'll then tell you "we told you so", and more.

even after all these years it still is the benchmark for fwd handling, and is still the car that other "hothatches" are measured against. blah blah blah.

why a 95ish 306? are after more refinement? safety? prefer the look? more space?

whatever car you choose - be it a frog or not - just as long as you are happy with the purchase, thats all that counts... and anythings gotta be better than a commo ute

current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

and paper figures dont do the gti justice - like other frogs. think power to weight, in your face throttle response, point and shoot direct steering, at will lift off over steer, along with poor build quality .

just drive one, will ya
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Depending on how mechanically inclinded you are, i had my old 205 head ported/planned/polished... definanty worth the effort of taking it off if you can, it will cost a fair amount more if you can't do it yourself... Anouther option would be to buy a second hand one and give it to a engine reconditionor or someone who can do the work and tell them to take their time... it will ususally bring the costs down a bit...

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Rach and I BOTH (that's a S3 205 and a gti6) left a Commodore SS ute behind us going into that corner on Burwood Hwy heading up the hill past the Mt Dandenong turn off. Just too easy, by the time he had finished in the corner we were away and powering up the hill without raising a sweat. Poor fella, looked like he loved his car.... polished red, lowered, big Jack Daniels sticker on the back windscreen....
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

i just gotta reiterate the previous comments about straight line speed in these cars.
    if you want straight line speed buy a v8.
    if you want a car that corners like nothing youve ever driven[assuming you dont drive an enzo ferrari or similar]drive 205.
    and also with mods,casnell said it in a nutshell-suspension and lsd[the diff not the drug].will do more for your cars handling and perceived speed than most mods.
    i put koni adjustables all round and was blown away with the improved take-off and stopping and of course high speed cornering.
    also our aussie 205's are not the same kw's as the uk euro ones.
    our specs are

series1-74 kw---uk spec-90kw
    s2-88kw ---------"" " - 105
    s3-105 kw--------"" "" -130
    i think above figures are correct but im sure someone will correct any mistakes.
    higher compression,map sensing and cam are the places to start to get it back to near euro specs.-BAZZ

ive got 105bhp for s1 and s2.

and 122bhp for the s3.

oz publications ive read have got oz spec s1/s2 at 77-79 kw, and s3 at 90kw.

p.s. remember that s1 and s2 have the same engine spec.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Mav
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    why a 95ish 306? are after more refinement? safety? prefer the look? more space?

I have always known of the 205 but my mate has a 306XR, black, dark as windows and the 16" Factory Peugeot rims. Looks really neat and as you said, it has a surprising amount of room. Even when all of our other friends gave him shit for it, I stood up for it as a really clean looking car and had much more of a history than their magnas and corollas!

But, depending on what I find first and how good it is, I am going the way of the frog. Even if they are cheese eating surrender monkeys that can only build a car to last 5 years. (I have seen my mates service book!)

Thanks heaps for all of your help and hope to see you on the road soon, in my pug!

MAV, i own both a 306 xt & 205 gti, so therefore im quite good.

If you want a car to take you from point A to B in smoothness, comfort, style & panache' get a 306, i use mine as my daily driver. Its such a smooth sweet car to drive, slow but you wont mind that, given the plush comfortable ride.

if you want a car to prove people wrong with, go quick in, get a mile wide grin & feel like Vin Diesel from fast & furious, get a 205gti. I'd question how good it is as a daily driver, espicially driven around the city & during peak hour ect.

Both cars are a world apart, however both are very very enjoyable to drive.The 306xt is slow, but still some of the things you can do in this car will amaze you, the 205gti is just a freak of a car, RAW is the best word to describe it.

Personally, im more than happy having both cars in my stable. At the end of the day get a car for your needs not your wants or just get two cars for need & want !!!!

Mav
    Tadpole

I go to uni so most days, (4 out of 5), I am able to avoid peak hour. I do a bit of driving but I really dont think the ride would worry be much. Keep in mind I do have a ute and although it may not be as bad as a 205, it is not all that good. Much stiffer springs and bounce.

How much are we looking at for a set of Koni ajustables?

I go to uni so most days, (4 out of 5), I am able to avoid peak hour. I do a bit of driving but I really dont think the ride would worry be much. Keep in mind I do have a ute and although it may not be as bad as a 205, it is not all that good. Much stiffer springs and bounce.

How much are we looking at for a set of Koni ajustables?
    then get a 205!!

Fellow Frogger!

Use mine as a daily driver, it's great! Set of Konis would set you back about $800 ish, do a searxh on Koni, I think Ray Bell sells them at a discounted price to Aussiefroggers.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

I have always known of the 205 but my mate has a 306XR, black, dark as windows and the 16" Factory Peugeot rims. Looks really neat and as you said, it has a surprising amount of room. Even when all of our other friends gave him shit for it, I stood up for it as a really clean looking car and had much more of a history than their magnas and corollas!

But, depending on what I find first and how good it is, I am going the way of the frog. Even if they are cheese eating surrender monkeys that can only build a car to last 5 years. (I have seen my mates service book!)

Thanks heaps for all of your help and hope to see you on the road soon, in my pug!
    Only last 5 years? My 205 is 17 and gets such a caning, and is going strong!
    205gti

Mav
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    Only last 5 years? My 205 is 17 and gets such a caning, and is going strong!
    Im going to be honest, you are the pretty much the first person to say you have not had any medium to major problems with a Peugeot. Touch wood of course

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    series1-74 kw---uk spec-90kw
    s2-88kw ---------"" " - 105
    s3-105 kw--------"" "" -130
    i think above figures are correct but im sure someone will correct any mistakes.
    The S3 is a nice car and all, but I think if it came out with 130kW it would have been the most amazing car on the planet

Perhaps 130 hp?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information