mi16 running too hot?
  • Register
  • Help

Default mi16 running too hot?

hey all

the radiator hose is all fixed up but im worried that the car might still be overheating

after driving for a while the temperature seems to hover around 90, with occasional spikes to 100ish, the spikes seem to be more frequent when sitting in traffic etc.

does this sound too hot? the fans come on at roughly 100 and that can bring it down to 80 or so, just a query

Advertisement
    '92 405 mi16

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by nick86
    hey all

the radiator hose is all fixed up but im worried that the car might still be overheating

after driving for a while the temperature seems to hover around 90, with occasional spikes to 100ish, the spikes seem to be more frequent when sitting in traffic etc.

does this sound too hot? the fans come on at roughly 100 and that can bring it down to 80 or so, just a query

Nick,

as far as i can remember high speed fans kick on around 92-93 c. Don't quote me though. My gauge was out by 6 degrees too so not completely sure. How's your radiator. It may need a flush!
    cheers
    Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by David Shearer
    Nick,

as far as i can remember high speed fans kick on around 92-93 c. Don't quote me though. My gauge was out by 6 degrees too so not completely sure. How's your radiator. It may need a flush!
    cheers
    Dave
    yup - fans on my 92 s1mi16 kick in just over 90 deg.. definately doesnt hit 100.

is there a way of finding out where your thermostat's switching point is?? - possibly swap out for a lower temp thermo??
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

al

I've spent stupid amounts of money getting the cooling system right in my S1 Mi, and it definately doesn't get up to 100 degrees. Mine generally sits in the 80s, but in traffic sometimes goes up to about 90 - 92 before the fans kick in and bring it back to about 80.

EDIT: Just found the receipt for the work - the thermostat and gasket were under $45 through peugeot (radiator $750 ).

Quote Originally Posted by al_
    I've spent stupid amounts of money getting the cooling system right in my S1 Mi, and it definately doesn't get up to 100 degrees. Mine generally sits in the 80s, but in traffic sometimes goes up to about 90 - 92 before the fans kick in and bring it back to about 80.

EDIT: Just found the receipt for the work - the thermostat and gasket were under $45 through peugeot (radiator $750 ).

$750 - thats the Peugeot price I was quoted - I didn't take them up on the offer.
    I did however get a brand new aluminium/plastic Valeo radiator (ex France) for $420 + gst (total $462) for my '92 Mi16 through my local radiator repair workshop in O'Connor in WA. He sourced it from Natrad in Melbourne.

Was the thermostat replaced??
    Who is to say the temp guage is accurate? Fans coming on at 100 seems suss. Buy another thermo switch if it's cheap enough, as part of an elimination process.
    Make sure it's all flushed and bled nicely, with a new thermo for a start.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

radiator was replaced a little over a year ago

i get the feeling that the gauge may be off myself, as theres really no reason for the fans to be kicking in at 95+, if the thermostat was broken, it wouldnt work properly?

for now im going to install a manual override switch in the dashboard so when in traffic etc for any amount of time i can kick the fans on myself

thx for the advice all
    '92 405 mi16

98 deg. C is correct. See the last page of this document:

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/tayl...entilation.pdf

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by nick86
    hey all

What is the opening temperature of the thermostat?
    I have mine out right now and its got 88 degrees stamped on it in which case 90 degrees would seem OK although 100 degrees for the fans to cut in sounds too hot to me.
    BUT
    Just looked at my Haynes manual -
    Thermostat openning at 88 is correct and "Thermostat fully open at 100 degrees" is what the book says.
    It goes on to give temps for the fans for pre and post '89 cars.
    Pre '89 says:
    1st speed on 92 and off at 88, 2nd speed on 97 and off at 92.
    Post '89 says:
    1st speed on 96 and off at 92, 2nd speed on 101 and off at 97.

So assuming your car is post '89 then according to the manual - your system is spot on!
    Congratulations (I think)!

MrV

i agree... sounds like normal range... i remember reading in the owners guide that anything up to 90 (ie middle mark on my gauge) is normal. i remember thinking (well gee, mine always runs lower than that!)

then i found out (from alan moore, prev owner) that my car has been fitted with a cooler thermostat, and runs at just below 80, and up to 90 in traffic. maybe this is something you could investigate, nick86?

thermostats are easy to fit, and a fair bit cheaper than a new radiator.

my fans kick in perfectly, in fact they have managed to hold the temp at 90 for quite some time when there was hardly any coolant in the tank
    1998 D8 Blue Peugoet 406 Coupe
    1998 D8 Gold Peugeot 406 ST - Sold!
    1994 S2 Red Peugeot 405 Sri - Croaked

Thread Information