504 right indicator not working
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 right indicator not working

Ok, here we go... i'm turning 18 in just under a month (oh yea!) and i have an unregistered and unroadworthy 78 504. i've put a pic of it as my avitar.

Advertisement

My goal is to get the car roadworthy and then registered before i turn 18.

i've had Greham Wallis help me with everything so far, so i think i'll give him a break and turn to all you people here!

well, my problem is that for some reason the right hand side indicator has stopped working.
    Heres what happens: when i select left, i hear the ticking sound and see the left indicators flashing, but when i select right... no ticking sound, no flashing right indicators.

because i'm quite the newbie when it comes to anything to do with cars, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

and once i've resolved this indicator problem, the next thing i would like to do is fix the paint on my car, but i'll come back to that one later.

Thanks.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

does it have hazard lights ??

if so flick them on and then off and then try the right blinker again

if that doesn't work then you may need to look at the switch itself to make sure it is contacting properly to power the blinkers
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    does it have hazard lights ??

if so flick them on and then off and then try the right blinker again

if that doesn't work then you may need to look at the switch itself to make sure it is contacting properly to power the blinkers
    Oh yeah forgot to say, only the left hand side indicators work when i have the hazard light button pressed in.

yeah i was thinking it could be to do with the stalk not selecting properly, but since they dont even work with the hazard lights, i was thinking it may be something to do with the thingo that makes the ticking sound... i'm not sure.

On 'rambo's advice I once found that switching on the hazards fixes the non-working blinkers. But both sides weren't working.

This is something different. Look for a wire off the blinker canister, perhaps. Have you looked outside, to see if both front and rear aren't working?

If one is and the other's not, then it's simply the globe.

Yeah both the front and rear right hand indicator don't work. There isn't even a ticking sound comming form behind the dashboard when i'm indicating right.

could i ask, what actually makes the indicators flash, what makes the ticking sound of the indicators and where that could be located?

It's a small control unit that looks like a big thimble (usually aluminium) about 25mm in diameter and the same length. On the end there are a number of wires plugged into it... or plugged onto the spade joints sticking out of it.

If you remove your instrument panel, it should be there under it, screwed to a tab or something just to the left hand side.

Check both RH indicator globes. If they are both blown then they aren't drawing current and therefore the flasher can (ticky thing) won't tick or flash or anything.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Current project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Note that the flasher-can could be a modern see through plastic unit.

When found, you could change it for a known good one and see if it makes a difference.

Check the earth from both the front and rear globe fittings, (the brake and reversing lights may not be working either if this is the case.

It sounds more like a loose or off connection from the stalk to the flasher.

Be methodical and check the circuit for continuity at each connector. Start by wiggling (not wake it up Jeff) the connections along the loom, (this will help you in becoming well acquainted with the pugs darker side) (pun intended).

Doesn’t sound like a hard one to fix

Good luck.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Yeah thanks heaps guys! i'll get the car into the garage so i can have some light and have a look at it now.

i'll let you know how i go.
    thanks again!

Hahaha! Thanks Heaps Guys! i got it working! it was that the front right indicator globe was busted and the rear right indicator globe had no connectivity because it had corroded so much! a spare globe and a little sandpaper did the job!

Now i need replace my rear left tail-light lens which has cracked so much a chunk of it came off! i'll need to hunt one down, even get a pair to have the them match at the back.

i'm sure i'll be back soon in need of your assistance again!
    Thanks again!

Good work... I'm sure Graham will have those bits somewhere in his collection...

Now, with that out of the way, you should be bouyant and confident that you can find lots of answers as the problems crop up.

Thread Information